Hand throttle funguled - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ARwrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Hand throttle funguled

Whimper ..whimper,, My hand throttle is busted. the knob disconnected from the cable and shows no sign of the plastic part shearing from the cable.. can someone enlighten me? I tried to feed the cable back through the mounting but it bottoms out and won't show itself. hard to believe it is all held together by a piece of plastic.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:42 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
It looks like it sheared off. Is that right?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

That's what I thought but there is no sign of the piano wire and the plastic pieces have NO sign of a break The wire has an "S turn end on it and won't feed out of the metal ferrule housing on the back of the console.in the cockpit so I am stumped.. This is the type that had live wires hooked to the housing for a throttle light on the console. This is weird puzzle

Last edited by divotandtralee; 08-01-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 AM

these photos any help?
unfortunately the close up one, the one that would be most useful is blurred...dammit
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...-complete.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Yes that's all I know about them . Mine worked when i got the car. Then i went to pull it out one day and the whole shaft came out with the black plastic half moon cross section tip that has no captive wire in it.. It is a mystery how it disconnected and gets put back... I am surprised no one has fiddled with the inner workings of their broken ones to figure this out. If I had a good replacement I would do the autopsy on this one. It is a rather simple and task to tug on a wire but turning the light on probably added hours at the drawing board .

Last edited by divotandtralee; 08-01-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Yes that's all I know about them . Mine worked when i got the car. Then i went to pull it out one day and the whole shaft came out with the black plastic half moon cross section tip that has no captive wire in it.. It is a mystery how it disconnected and gets put back... I am surprised no one has fiddled with the inner workings of their broken ones to figure this out. If I had a good replacement I would do the autopsy on this one. It is a rather simple and task to tug on a wire but turning the light on probably added hours at the drawing board .
Every used one I've ever removed was no good.

Mind if I ask why you use the throttle?

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Its just a carry-over from my days in Porsches and Giuliettas. The rule I always lived by from the 50's was to warm an engine oil enough to get the temp needle off the peg at like 1500 RPM especially when the garage gets down to into the 40's in winter and the car needs some exercise. It seems to be the best way to set the throttle steady. The hand throttle allows me to walk a way from it. It's old school and arguments abound to drive the car at a moderate pace right off he start to do that but it's hard to change what works best for me. When the exhaust has lost it's white vapor and the temp is off the peg, I'm ready to go in winter. Then it's steady below 3500 RPM for a mile or so to warm up the drive train.

It looks like I'll have to resort to an after-market one .. I hate anything after-market and my curiosity how the original works keeps the old bean moving just like the Sunday NY Time crosswords and 5 star Sudoku. If Anyone has a busted one I'll take it and dissect it as a JA project.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 08-02-2019 at 04:21 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:54 AM

useful thread on removing the cable from the console.
you need to remove a S retainer clip from the back (post #1) then squeeze the plastic tabs together (post #11)

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...r-console.html

aftermarket at CA
maybe you could keep your nice knob with "throttle" and just use the cable part?
https://classicalfa.com/fl025-1-spid...cable-1970-87/

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 08-02-2019 at 05:02 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
useful thread on removing the cable from the console.
you need to remove a S retainer clip from the back (post #1) then squeeze the plastic tabs together (post #11)

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...r-console.html

aftermarket at CA
maybe you could keep your nice knob with "throttle" and just use the cable part?
https://classicalfa.com/fl025-1-spid...cable-1970-87/
Thanks.. my searches were so loaded with stray paths that I could never nail this down. It's projects like these that make old car ownership fun.. Not a RE rebuild or a blown head gasket. No money .. just exercising the noodle.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Its just a carry-over from my days in Porsches and Giuliettas. The rule I always lived by from the 50's was to warm an engine oil enough to get the temp needle off the peg at like 1500 RPM especially when the garage gets down to into the 40's in winter and the car needs some exercise. It seems to be the best way to set the throttle steady. The hand throttle allows me to walk a way from it. It's old school and arguments abound to drive the car at a moderate pace right off he start to do that but it's hard to change what works best for me. When the exhaust has lost it's white vapor and the temp is off the peg, I'm ready to go in winter. Then it's steady below 3500 RPM for a mile or so to warm up the drive train.

It looks like I'll have to resort to an after-market one .. I hate anything after-market and my curiosity how the original works keeps the old bean moving just like the Sunday NY Time crosswords and 5 star Sudoku. If Anyone has a busted one I'll take it and dissect it as a JA project.
Makes sense to me.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:28 AM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
I have one ...works like it should ....want to buy?

spiderserie4 likes this.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Well now we are making progress.. The brass end of mine that holds the wire is in the housing ....so that part of the puzzle now makes sense.. Now to learn how it separated at the midpoint black plastic bridge.. Send me a PM on the cost to 02648.. and thank you for the response!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode