Spider Droopy Moustache Syndrome - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By not2old4toys
  • 1 Post By Kim Boydell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Spider Droopy Moustache Syndrome

With classic styling admired by millions, our Spiders are rightfully considered among the most beautiful Italian sports cars.

But there is a disfigurement affecting dozens, or even hundreds, of these cars, a stigma that till now some have been too embarrassed and too ashamed to discuss.

Iíve seen numerous pictures of Spiders with Droopy Moustache Syndrome, and I have to admit my own Spider is one of them.

Hi, Iím David.

See the attached. My front bumper driverís side looks OK, but the passengerís side has been bugging me since I bought the car. The driverís angle of attack is fine, but the passengerís side is tilted down.

Does anyone have a fix?

The bumper mounts with two pistons, 4 bolts on each side. Can I add washers behind the low part, on the right side only, and make both sides have the same angle of attack?

The bumper has two plastic facings riveted and bolted to a metal beam - is it possible my bumper beam is twisted? Thereís some bondo on my nose, so I have to assume the car was hit in the past.

Maybe I just need a new front bumper?

I recently took the car to have the bumper repainted, and told the guy about the problem, but he didnít address it.

Any suggestions? Whoís solved this problem?

Thanks

David OíD
Laguna CA
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 AM

Needs adjusting on the mounting brackets.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a 1.6TS 147 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:41 AM

Good photos and explanation...and I understand your angst. Things like this can bug a person. Shims are probably the best solution short of starting all over but if you don't have records of the frontal damage that resulted in an application of a little bondo it might be difficult to know how to correct it and the fix might not be as simple as what meets the eye. I am certain there are answers here. I don't own a late model like this. You might have to research some of the grey beards who worked for ALFA dealers in your area and find out from them where they sent cars to to fix collision damage. I am confident you can get it resolved. A word of caution.. in this world my experience is parking lots should be called war zones and SUV's driven by someone on the phone or texting are tapping cars like staggering through a dark house bumping into walls without even knowing the damage they leave behind. A fix like yours sometimes is a bad omen for things to come so unless it is a simple adjustment, think about living with it. I live in an area where 1/2 the drivers have blue handicapped mirror danglers and they drive through the front door of a CVS or 7-11 regularly. It's a real problem keeping our cars out of harm's way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 AM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

I have the same problem on my car. Signs of prior damage and a big gap. The PO or shop even put a body mold there to close the gap a little. I had some success closing the gap some by adding washer spacers to the bottom set of nuts/bolts of the bumper shocks to have it tilt up. It's still not perfect and the molding remains to help cover the gap and for fear of removing paint taking it off.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

I'm very careful where I park and almost always find a tree, wheelstops, etc, to protect my nose.

Has anybody had success shimming only one side to eliminate or reduce the visible twist?

David O'D
Laguna CA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
First I would determine the repaired(?) body work is not the issue.
The support absorbers have oversized holes for adjustment. They can be enlarged as necessary. Make sure the support hydraulics have not collapsed.
Cheers, jon
Attached Images

divotandtralee likes this.

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:35 PM

Yes, I see your problem. The Fu Manchu look is definitely a 1960s-70s look. You want the Tom Sellick look. Definitely, not2old2toys has the right idea.
Alfaboutvegas likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:41 PM

Possible used shock absorber from APE or shims.. Probably hard to tell without putting the pair together on the bench. Is it really worth it? I sense shims are the order of the day. There are lplenty that slide in to take up the spacing without removing anything.. Her is an example. They are designed to act as washers without dismantling the car. https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...73f233702a2044
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

My pistons are already collapsed, I compressed the front and rear bumpers and shortened the plastic sides when I had the bumpers repainted.

Divot, those shims look like they will work. If I can shim the droopy side without throwing off the other alignment, I'll be good. If not, I suspect a twisted beam that's too rigid to allow a one-sided fix.

Plan B will be getting a new beam and transplanting my repainted plastic facings.

David O'D
Laguna CA
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Shimming helped mine considerably, but the problem was not solved until I got a replacement bumper.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Sloboy / Rich, was your droop symmetrical, or asymmetric?

DOD
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O'D View Post
Sloboy / Rich, was your droop symmetrical, or asymmetric?

DOD
David,

Looking back on my old thread below, it looks like mine was symmetrical.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...djustment.html

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Last edited by sloboy89; 07-14-2019 at 07:31 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Rich -
Very helpful, your photo of the back side of the aluminum beam shows exactly why you had a droop. I'm pretty sure I have a similar but asymmetrical bend.

Did your replacement bumper beam not have any camber? Did you replace the entire assembly, or transplant your plastic facings?

I will try some shimming first.

David O'D
Laguna
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O'D View Post
Rich -
Very helpful, your photo of the back side of the aluminum beam shows exactly why you had a droop. I'm pretty sure I have a similar but asymmetrical bend.

Did your replacement bumper beam not have any camber? Did you replace the entire assembly, or transplant your plastic facings?

I will try some shimming first.

David O'D
Laguna
I didn't actually check the camber of the replacement bumper aluminum channel before I installed it. I stripped off the plastic/rubber bits and used those from my original bumper on the replacement. But it no longer has that drooping look, and I don't have any shims installed.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode