I should not have asked wifes opinion about top boot - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I should not have asked wifes opinion about top boot

OK OK..I know you are all tired of me rattling on about my search for a top boot.
I have sourced a great one of the larger Quad type, with all of the pieces intact. It's in the right color.
Problem? It is designed for the "passive seatbelts" and has the notched hole in the center for those belts.
I don't think it will bother me, and I probably wouldn't notice after awhile. My wife says..."no no. don't buy it..it will look so wrong with that big hole in the center."
Thoughts?

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
Did you really not like the late model one from Centerline? If you would just put it together properly it would work fine, or go with the earlier version. I agree with your wife. Don't put the one for passive belts in, it just ain't right...//
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencedesigns View Post
OK OK..I know you are all tired of me rattling on about my search for a top boot.

I have sourced a great one of the larger Quad type, with all of the pieces intact. It's in the right color.

Problem? It is designed for the "passive seatbelts" and has the notched hole in the center for those belts.

I don't think it will bother me, and I probably wouldn't notice after awhile. My wife says..."no no. don't buy it..it will look so wrong with that big hole in the center."

Thoughts?
What color are you looking for? I have a larger black one (somewhere buried in my garage) that covers the parcel shelf that I don't use. Not sure if it's "quad" type or not. It's missing a couple of plastic clips that I cannabilized for my smaller tan one that I use, but you can buy those clips easily I think.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Al
Current Alfa: 1986 Spider Veloce
Previous Alfa: 1987 Spider Graduate

Last edited by alfaporsche; 07-13-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
My wife says...no no. don't buy it.
Nice to see "my wife" rather than "the wife". Just a personal preference of mine. Nothing political intended.
Alfaboutvegas likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Garage
Hello, if Lawrencedesigns is not interested in the boot cover, I may be. Will it fit an '88 Graduate?

1988 Spider Graduate (Sofia)
'06 Ford Explorer
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartrsawn View Post
Hello, if Lawrencedesigns is not interested in the boot cover, I may be. Will it fit an '88 Graduate?
I'll try to dig it out, clean it up and take pix tomorrow. If it fits my 86 Veloce, it should fit an 88 Graduate.

quartrsawn likes this.

Al
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

skibum...I don't like the plastic clips along the back.
What I want is the late quad model that has the plastic side inserts and fittings for the rear "acorns"on the back.
The Centerline version is NOT that version. It is not a question of "putting it together properly."

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 PM

Keeth, if you're objecting to the white clips with the protruding tail (see attached), the tail portion can be cut off. The white tails stuck out like eyesores under my black boot, so I cut them off with a dremel and brush-painted the raw ends with black paint for plastic.

The boot still snaps on or off easily, but the clips are invisible. 100% better.

David O'D
Laguna CA
Attached Images

adowns likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

David, that might be the solution. I have a nice set of brand new clips...perhaps that will work

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
skibum...I don't like the plastic clips along the back.
What I want is the late quad model that has the plastic side inserts and fittings for the rear "acorns"on the back.
The Centerline version is NOT that version. It is not a question of "putting it together properly."

Then they sent you the wrong one. The "late model" and the quad boot are virtually identical except for attachment design on the front of the boot by the parcel shelf. The only other option is the small, soft, earlier version that does not cover the parcel shelf.
Then they sent you the wrong one. The "late model" and the quad boot are virtually identical except for attachment design on the front of the boot by the parcel shelf. The only other option is the small, soft, earlier version that does not cover the parcel shelf.You know, sometimes it is difficult trying to decipher what someone is trying to say when they are asking for help. There certainly is no reason or excuse to be less than gracious and civil when people are trying to go out of their way to be helpful
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:03 AM

I have this black boot cover that covers the parcel shelf. It does not have an opening for retractable seat belts. The good- vinyl is in good condition; the zippers work well; and it has all of the metal fastening pieces used to hold the plastic clips. The bad- it is missing three of the plastic clips (although you can find them sold by the usual suspects, including Centerline https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/top-boot-clips , although they are currently out of stock) and one of the two bracket forks (passenger side) has one piece cracked off, although I have the cracked piece if it can be glued. Centerline also sells a replacement bracket made of metal to replace it (https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catal...t-bracket-left ). Honestly, since I never use it (have a tan one to match the interior), i am not sure if maybe the cracked bracket might still work. It seems that that bracket/fork is only is there for positioning, with the upper and lower snaps actually holding it in place.

If anyone can use it, PM me. There are three new on Ebay for around $400, but make me an offer if you can use it. Shipping from northern VA.

Al

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Al

Last edited by alfaporsche; 07-14-2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Better image of cracked bracket.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartrsawn View Post
I just realized, mine might not work if you have retractable seat belts. See the photos in my last post. There are three now on Ebay and one of the three (item no. 173940759345) has the slot for the retractable seat belts.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Al

Last edited by alfaporsche; 07-14-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
Just for info, I don't use the clips on mine. The two shoulders/ brackets hold it just fine!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Alfaporsche...PM sent

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Alfaporsche...PM sent
Replies sent. Al

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode