clutch hose replacement tip - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By divotandtralee
  • 1 Post By Alfajay
  • 1 Post By divotandtralee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

clutch hose replacement tip

After struggling to loosen the flare fitting from the clutch hose without having room to hold the hose from turning because of the mounting bracket, I took an angle grinder and removed the top lip from the bracket. This allowed me to get a wrench on the hose nut and made the whole process simple.
Attached Images

Last edited by msmith10; 07-13-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:51 AM

It isn't necessary..old mechanic's trick.....two tube wrenches ... staggered like a pair of scissors arms then squeeze together..PB helps .. Tightening is the same way only staggered in reverse. Noodle that over.
Alfaboutvegas likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
It isn't necessary..old mechanic's trick.....two tube wrenches ... staggered like a pair of scissors arms then squeeze together..

I'm with divotandtralee - you didn't need to make that irrevocable modification. I hope it doesn't come back to bite you down the road.

In general, the engineers at Alfa knew what they were doing. They designed that bracket with a hole, rather than a "U" opening, to securely hold the clutch line. My worry is that your line will work its way out of the "U".

Next time, cut through the old flexible hose immediately above its metal fitting. Then you can put a socket on the fitting to break loose the flare nut. If you have to cut something, it's preferable to destroy the part that's going to be replaced, rather than something welded to your chassis.

And yes, I learned this after many experiences of "cut it first, think about it later".
IRONBLOCK likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:47 PM

I have to admit.. the slave was a winter project on my '73.. Thanksgiving 2018 .... move the Spider car to another bay so honey could park her new Atlas for the winter.. no warning ... pedal goes to the floor ....SHHHHHTT... I wrestled with the posters problem. Then had an ah-ha moment...I foolishly thought the slave C clip was the party ender ...The rest is history. Proud of myself . I figured it out for myself after looking at it until Christmas... PSSSd me off it took so long. Bing bang bong done. All this on my frigging BACK to the cold concrete. I understand the dilemma. Thanks Jay .. everything is simple when we know how simple it is ... but it takes forever to learn what double-nutting is .. another subject. Damned .. who invented that? better get his name cuz twenty years from now none will know what it is. I keep learning every frigging day.. it never stops! When it stops, who knows what is worth the journey. Uncle

PS A tip of the hat for going the extra mile to post this idea.. IT HAS MERIT!!! and makes sense less you are an anorak like Jay and I and THANK YOU for posting. ( next time ask) I don't think it would ***** a deal on a sale or value.. more a personal touch,,, ..if it does ... Show me him and I will personally flog him. Your AH+HA MOMENT IS APPRECIATED!!!!!! You Have million posts to catch up.. Keep it coming.. and welcome to the best group of brains in Alfa Romeo-dom there is.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 07-13-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
It isn't necessary..old mechanic's trick.....two tube wrenches ... staggered like a pair of scissors arms then squeeze together..PB helps .. Tightening is the same way only staggered in reverse. Noodle that over.
Pretty sure I know exactly what you're talking about as far as procedure goes.....but not sure what you mean by "tube wrenches"?

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Pretty sure I know exactly what you're talking about as far as procedure goes.....but not sure what you mean by "tube wrenches"?
Google is your friend.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:44 PM

Tube wrenches or Flare wrenches allow you to put more sides of the wrench on a fitting that has a tube or hard line going though it and blocks the usage of a box wrench. An OPEN end wrench is the only other way to grip TWO sides of the fitting. This will slip and not give enough grip on the fitting and round out the corners of the hex which transfers the twisting moment. Thus a compromise.. a Box ended wrench with a slot in it to slip over the tube.. Most commonly used on ANY brake lines and fittings and in this case the clutch flex line. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-13...kGTA&gclsrc=ds
alfabeach likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Ah - I know them as flare wrenches. Thanks!

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode