SPICA Rebuild - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

SPICA Rebuild

I have nothing else to call it and the archives are full so here is another for the files. Last October I bought a '73 Spider on BaT.. low usage Thank Goodness .. like 750 miles in the last 7 years.. Cut to the chase....Burbled excessively and occassional backfire....car ran great with no smoke and torque and power were very good....All the reads on this was to fix the solenoids and TA and be done with it.. the nut of the matter is GAS IN THE OIL.. My car tested at >5% gas in the oil ( after 200 miles on the oil) according to Blackstone labs in Ft. Wayne... I threw in the towel. Called Wes for a new pump last Fall ... 10 month waiting list... You all must have heard this...Somewhere in May I had an opening in Wes's schedule. I could get a replacement pump and send mine in later... DONE ..installed yesterday by a qualified Mech ( 20 years doing it) ..all the tools and set up etc... $800.. DONE!! Car drove 90 miles home and runs like it is supposed to.. Moral is it was worth EVERY penny to have a qualified old school mechanic do it...CHEAP ..if he had done many many before... a steep learning curve for us newbies....AND I'l never have to do it again!

If you have a whiff of gas on your dipstick, analyze it and do the right thing. Save your engine. My 20W50 oils that was 200 miles old analyzed at 5 W 30 and was going south. Hope this helps. My shop had a long list of engine rebuilds from people who refused to accept the reality of the situation. Old pumps do wear out and band aids won't work miracles on your engine bearings. Wes is a great guy to deal with. Do it.
horsewidower, andylarry and Pino F like this.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 07-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:06 PM

not only a great pump technical guru, but Wes is one of the nicest people in Alfaland. A real gentleman. Now that I think of it, we have a lot of gentlemen in Alfaland.
Pino F and evieceli like this.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goats View Post
not only a great pump technical guru, but Wes is one of the nicest people in Alfaland. A real gentleman. Now that I think of it, we have a lot of gentlemen in Alfaland.
My hammer isn't so gentle... it's ok ....gotta get someone's attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
I hope Wes is training an apprentice...he has a unique skill set.
spiderserie4 likes this.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Wow, I did not think anyone could get a pump any sooner than the wait period. Congrats on getting your car back on the road.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:50 AM

@DIVOlandtralee, I concur on all points. As an Alfa tech who has tuned, or tried to tune many dozens of Spica pumps through the years, there is nothing like setting up a freshly rebuilt (Ingram) pump. Every small adjustment makes a noticeable change, and you can get it just right! Too bad Wes can't make it to the Convention this year. I hear that you will be there. Perhaps we can meet at the ONLINE FORUMS MEMBER MEET-UP at the Doublewide Grille on Thursday.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/off...r-meet-up.html

ALFA ANDY
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

I was Karen and Calvin's beer caddy in the parking lot at Detroit. York rings a bell. We met. Look forward to seeing you. No AR car ..just me and Linda who is really really my better half.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
I was Karen and Calvin's beer caddy in the parking lot at Detroit. York rings a bell. We met. Look forward to seeing you. No AR car ..just me and Linda who is really really my better half.
So I've heard. See you there.

ALFA ANDY
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Spica CSI

Upon further review..............before I sent my core to Wes, I opened up the oil filter cover on the pump out of curiosity.. I love to solve crime scenes. All my suspicions were confirmed. Car was owned 11 years by the seller and faithfully changed the ENGINE oil annually as receipts had confirmed but lo there were never any receipts for the Spica filter! The independent shop in CT, well qualified to work on "Fereign cars" never touched that filter.. either out of not being informed or blew it off as a sparingly driven car seasonal car and didn't matter. The photos tell the tale. It's easy to see why the pump was worn out when you connect the dots. The goo on the filter in the second photo wasn't fully captured by the camera. I think this confirms the cause of death.
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 07-12-2019 at 06:14 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:14 AM
Gold Subscriber

There have been many posts about Spica and my understanding is that an overly rich setting can cause gas in your oil no?I'm asking this as have a Spica GTV and pump rebuilt in 2014 by Wes and has been running rich and gas smell on dip stick so does this mean another rebuild?What is the consensus?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsieker View Post
There have been many posts about Spica and my understanding is that an overly rich setting can cause gas in your oil no?I'm asking this as have a Spica GTV and pump rebuilt in 2014 by Wes and has been running rich and gas smell on dip stick so does this mean another rebuild?What is the consensus?
I'd certainly go through the adjustment procedure to the letter before I suspected it needed a rebuild.
divotandtralee likes this.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Gold Subscriber

Have done the set up and running fine now.How many oil filter changes before gas smell gone or just change the oil only?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsieker View Post
A grossly rich mixture can cause that. Why have you allowed the engine to run rich without adjusting it? I would recommend changing the oil and both the main and SPICA oil filters. Then find out the reason for the over rich mixture. My first usual suspect would be the T/A.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
A grossly rich mixture can cause that. Why have you allowed the engine to run rich without adjusting it? I would recommend changing the oil and both the main and SPICA oil filters. Then find out the reason for the over rich mixture. My first usual suspect would be the T/A.
Get that gassy oil outta there!!!!!

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Purchased car in 2017 and have put maybe 700 miles on it.Car in storage over winter and when picked it up backfiring on deceleration and black coming out of tail pipe on start up. Read posts on abb and suggestion was over rich condition.Checked TA and seems to be working to spec.Interesting that seller had changed oil and filter before pick up so wonder if had been an issue earlier.Just wondering about pump as problem or do I change oil/filter and continue to check for gas smell?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode