SPICA Rebuild - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 AM

Garage
But, you say it's running fine now. What changed?

Get that oil outta there.
divotandtralee likes this.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcreek View Post
But, you say it's running fine now. What changed?

Get that oil outta there.
Yes a bit confusing.. I would say pump rebuild on a "new' pump is a highly remote situation. To my way of thinking, if it was running rich and that is cured and the pump is rebuilt you have cut off the source of added gas to the oil and gas should vaporize off hot oil without a replenishment source of rich running or a wayward pump. If you want to accelerate the process i would just drain the oil and move on. ll; will be fine. My car might have been running rich but all the arrows pointed at the pump as the culprit. I' too old to futze around looking for solutions on a pump that was clearly not maintained properly. Some dogs need to be put to sleep. In my case, I am happy with my decision.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:19 AM
Gold Subscriber

Went through Wes's tune up procedure.Pump timing was 180 degrees out also but that wouldn't have caused the issue.So thinking that had been set up rich from get go and for some reason more obvious this spring when picked car up.So will recharge oil and filter and see if smell goes away with burn off just wondering how long do you watch/wait for that to happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

I would say an oil change will bear out the fruits of your labor. The oil should stay clean on the dipstick for as long as you run the car between oil changes. In my case the oil was BLACK and runny like water after a few hundred miles. None of my other cars showed that kind of oil on a dip stick even with thousands of miles on the oil between oil changes..Sure it won't drain off as new oil but it should be clear enough to see the stick under the oil film on the stick. Mine didn't.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:13 AM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks
Appreciate the input.Will see what transpires with a" tincture of time"!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 AM

@elsieker, when I am servicing a Spica car, and changing the engine oil and engine oil filter AND Spica pump oil filter, I remove the engine drain plug and engine filter and Spica filter and let it all drain together. Best done with the oil warm. Then I remove the barometric capsule and, using a funnel, pour a quart of fresh engine oil down into the pump. Let all of that oil drain out, then put it all back together. Perhaps this helps to remove (more of) the gas fouled oil from the system.

ALFA ANDY
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Gold Subscriber

Yes.Sounds like a plan.Will see if that does the trick.Thanks.
By the way -new to Alfa ownership and the bulletin board of tremendous help.Hard not to glance every day at postings and tons of info and help.
andylarry likes this.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Garage
Many SPICA pumps tend to leak gasoline into the oil. Wes specifically addresses this when he rebuilds these pumps with a sort of modification which improves the original design. As far as detonation on deceleration goes, that's most of the time caused by the fuel cut off switch behind the pump. Either the wire feeding it got damaged, disconnected or that the switch itself internally just isn't working. I highly recommend at least communicating with Wes for the best information to address this. I agree with slowcreek "Get that oil outta there!" Your bearings don't like that very much. For certain though a well tuned, rebuilt pump gives amazing new life to Alfas. I know its pricey but so worthwhile in the long run. I just had Wes rebuild my pump for my 71 spider 1750 though I hadn't installed it yet. I had a 79 spider with a new pump beforehand and it ran fantastically. No regrets ever!
divotandtralee likes this.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Gary Martin 6054307368 in So Dakota did a Spica pump for me this past spring in about 2 weeks. He no longer advertises Spica builds, but has done many hundreds and a 1000 Webers. Started doing Alfa component work in the early 80s in Cali. Advertises for Weber and romablok restoration in the back of the Owner.
Fast service, and very fair price-road tested prior to shipping, instant start, great power and no gas smell!....
No email or internet reachable only by phone or snail mail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode