What did you do about the uncovered section under your seats. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Angry What did you do about the uncovered section under your seats.

I'm installing the rubber floorin bits in my blue S1 spider and am kind of surprised that there isn't anything to go under the seats. If you pull a seat forward. you can see the floorpan. Unfortunately, mine has sound deadening material on one side and it looks pretty bad. What, if anything, did you do about it? Any recommendations?
Attached Images

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto, '69 Spider
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 11 BMWs, Ram 1500
Other-past: 16 BMWs, MGs, Triumphs, other stuff that doesn't count.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 AM
Platinum Subscriber

There should be a big piece that covers both sides and goes over the tunnel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
As with most cars of this age, you'rs is missing some bits.

In the nineties, I had the chance to examine a fairly well preserved 1600 Spider. The insulation on the firewall and the transmission hump were all covered with vinyl. The insulation on the floor was missing probably due to some water damage. My thought is that the insulation on the floor also has/had vinyl covering it.

So. I made patterns with paper board for the insulation. Then, I glued some vinyl on top of it. Your car should have a rubber mat that covers the area in front of the parcel shelf such that when the seat back or seat is pushed forward, very little of the vinyl is exposed.
Attached Images

alfabeach likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Here are the pictures I have. I'm sorry for the poor scans and dust.
Attached Images

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The original sound deadening under the seat for 1966-67 was a thin fiber pad that was covered with a rubber/tar substance. The shape is similar to the one shown by Brian, with the exception it was sort of a inverted "T" shape. It did not cover the areas on the outside of the seat rail standards. It was not adhered to the floor, but it escapes me as to if it was screwed down or laying loose. The front sound deadening was a mix of fiber and tar that was spread over the floor likely in a liquid or self adhering form.
Cheers, jon

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX

Last edited by not2old4toys; 07-10-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The template idea is an excellent one. I happen to have a couple of rubber cargo mats that would work perfectly for that. Thanks!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:38 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2old4toys View Post
The original sound deadening under the seat for 1966-67 was a thin fiber pad that was covered with a rubber/tar substance. The shape is similar to the one shown by Brian, with the exception it was sort of a inverted "T" shape. It did not cover the areas on the outside of the seat rail standards. It was not adhered to the floor, but it escapes me as to if it was screwed down or laying loose. The front sound deadening was a mix of fiber and tar that was spread over the floor likely in a liquid or self adhering form.
Cheers, jon
I believe the stuff is called juke. And yes, it had the black tar stuff on the top.

I believe that the stuff is available from auto upholstery suppliers. But, it won't have the tar stuff on it.

The screws, fender washers and snaps for the rubber mats are all that are holding the sound insulation in my car.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I think you may mean Jute. It is essentially the backing on carpet, without the carpet. I posted what came out of my '69 earlier. It was a combination sound deadening and wterproofing material. I think there are better products today, but you can still find the stuff if you want to be completely accurate in a restoration.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
I think you may mean Jute. It is essentially the backing on carpet, without the carpet. I posted what came out of my '69 earlier. It was a combination sound deadening and wterproofing material. I think there are better products today, but you can still find the stuff if you want to be completely accurate in a restoration.
That's the ticket! Thanks for the correction.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
For the solution, I just ended up cutting some black vinyl and laying it under the rubber mats, similar to what ossideseppia did. While working on the dash, I already lost some parts under there and having a smooth surface to reach under and feel around on is waaaaay easier than the alternative.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
If you left your convertible top down and got caught by a sudden rain shower, the jute material would absorb excess rain water. The black rubber floor mats would trap water in the jute, like a greenhouse, causing corrosion to form on the floor boards. I believe this is one reason why the floors tended to rust out in our cars.

Mark
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Gold Subscriber

Here's a couple shots of the piece that's under my 67's passenger seat. Same thing on the other side.
Attached Images

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

Here's the original piece that covered the transmission tunnel around the shifter.

Not sure what to call the insulating material. Looks kinda like it might be fiberglass. But actually looks like matted golden retriever hair.

I've never found a similar looking replacement.
Attached Images

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:50 AM

Garage
You might try using dynomat. It has sound deadening characteristics. Not cheap. Just cut it and it sticks to whereever you put it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera928 View Post
You might try using dynomat. It has sound deadening characteristics. Not cheap. Just cut it and it sticks to whereever you put it.
That's what I am using in several places on the car. You can see some under th edrivers seat (installed by the PO) in the images a th ebeginning of this thread. I'm also goin got add it in the rear in an effort to close up the gaps that are commonly seen between the rubber mats and vinyl drapes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode