Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Should I paint my spoiler?

9K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  nealric 
#1 · (Edited)
I have never liked the rear "spoilers" on my spiders. I miss the sleek look of my '74.
To me, they have always looked like a non-functional J.C. Whitney accessory.
I am about to do a re-spray and was thinking of coloring it to match the body. I would probably keep the tail section below it in black.
Has anyone done this? And if so, did you end up regretting the decision to do so?

#2 · (Edited)
I almost bought a Series 3 prior to finding my '79. I had tentatively decided to replace the factory spoiler with a Zender kit, painted body color. Lower profile, looks much better.

Here is the link from Vick, although other vendors may sell it as well:

Zender Rear Spoiler Kit, Alfa Spider 1983-90 - (SKU 81-1898) [81-1898] - $377.23 : Vick Autosports, The Premier Fiat and Alfa Parts Source

Classic Alfa also sells it:

https://classicalfa.com/ac066-zender-rear-spoiler-kit-for-s3-spider-1984-89/

#5 ·
The first few years ('83-'85?) had the spongy rubber spoiler. The later years ('86-'89?) had a hard rubber spoiler. The early ones might be difficult to paint but the hard rubber ones would likely take paint fine. You will need to add a flex agent - these are used when painting the flexible rubber/plastic panels used on many cars.

#6 · (Edited)
When I did my repaint, I went back and forth on whether to paint the Zender spoiler. I was convinced that it should be painted body color, but after consulting with a bunch of folks, including my paint guy, I decided against painting it after all. I'm happy with that decision.

Here's mine for reference:

Attachments

#11 ·
When I did my repaint, I went back and forth on whether to paint the Zender spoiler. I was convinced that it should be painted body color, but after consulting with a bunch of folks, including my paint guy, I decided against painting it after all. I'm happy with that decision.

Here's mine for reference:

Love the blue color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I like the look of that Zender. I really never had an issue with the S3 spoilers, actually I kind of liked them. That Zender is very nice looking though... well, there goes another 400 bucks! lol

Reactions: Alfaboutvegas
#13 ·
Although I generally vote for originality, I am in the throes of deciding to change the color of my chocolate brown Spider, a color which I detest. So far, a color change is winning over a repaint in the original merda bruno color.

Similarly, because I really dislike the rear spoiler treatment of the Series 3, I would replace the original with a Zender kit and paint it body color. I might or might not keep the flat panel between the tail lights flat black.

Series 3's are unlikely to become high-price collector cars, so the aforementioned modification should not significantly affect the resale price or value of the car.

In the end, you have to suit yourself.

#14 ·
I should be getting my spider back from the paint shop soon with a painted spoiler (white car with white spoiler). The "stock is always best" folks will have given up on my car a long time ago. Part of the reason is mine chipped and it would be difficult to bring it back to original condition without paint.

I will let you know how I like it. The good news is that if you absolutely hate it, it's not that difficult to remove and replace with one from a junked car.

#17 ·
Before I bought my S4 I looked at a few S3 cars. I didn't care for the spoiler and figured I'd get a Zender if an S3 came home with me. Looking at that photo above of a red S3 with body color Zender makes me think about getting one just so I could fit that cool spoiler............

Heck, it's just $400 and then figure another 6 to 8000 for the car to put it on.

Alfista logic?????? >:)

#19 ·
Not really the best option. There are holes in the trailing edge of the trunk lid, which of course could be filled. The bigger issue is that the tail lights blend into the spoiler side pieces, so removing them leaves the sides of the taillights hanging out there.

#22 ·
Getting to the point of that silver car is a ton of work. Considerable metal work on the sides (in addition to filling the holes in the trunk lid). And completely modifying the tail lights to remove the lower rear extension and the side reflectors/markers. At that point, it might be easier just to substitute an S2 rear end.

#24 ·
OK, I will be the odd man out. I really like the look of the all black original spoiler. I have a 77 and have from time to time toyed with the idea of how to fit the later spoiler to the 77. I've already back dated my bumpers to the stainless because I like that look much better than the rubber bumpers that came on the car in 77 but I also like the look of the black spoiler. To me it gives the car a much more aggressive look.

In my eyes the spoiler made the car much "sportier" looking and actually got it looking something like its racing heritage. I guess its the old adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Ventura Alfa

#26 ·
"I am with you, I have a 84 with a rubber spoiler. I like the look and over 70 mpg the car seem to run really smooth....."

How on earth do you get 70 MPG from an Alfa? But seriously, the rear spoiler on our Alfas has negligible effect upon the aerodynamics. Especially at highway speeds. Nothing that you could feel. And on a staightaway (i.e. down the road) they just produce unwanted drag. Rear-end downforce can be helpful in high speed corners, but is more effectively produced by an adjustable wing, not a spoiler.
My racing experience is primarily in open wheel single seaters, but I know if I was driving my Alfa in competition, I would want to loosen up the rear end a little. That spoiler, as ineffective as it is, would have to go.
In the real world it's about as effective as a racing stripe.

#28 ·
The easiest remedy for removing the rear spoiler center section is to simply replace the trunk lid from a Series 2. Not sure how the sides mount, would be nice to see a pic(s) of their removal. I liked that red Alfa with a Zender kit... I can kinda see where Steve Saleen got his inspiration for an s281 rear end treatment

Attachments

#35 ·
I have a new-in-the-box Zender kit that I’ll be putting up for sale this week if anyone is interested. I haven’t priced it yet, but it will be less than getting one new.

#36 ·
I have a 91 Veloce - so no spoiler decisions for me. But - I love the body lines of the late 80's Spiders with the spoiler. If I owned one - I would probably keep it original and treat it back to as close to original condition as possible. When done right - the black color of the spoiler complements any paint color on the car. That tail lip on the long trunk of the 80's spiders is too cool!!! I would keep it the way it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.