Should I paint my spoiler? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaboutvegas View Post
Ain't it true, we always find "sumptin" to spend our money on!
Gotta love all our "disposable income"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Before I bought my S4 I looked at a few S3 cars. I didn't care for the spoiler and figured I'd get a Zender if an S3 came home with me. Looking at that photo above of a red S3 with body color Zender makes me think about getting one just so I could fit that cool spoiler............

Heck, it's just $400 and then figure another 6 to 8000 for the car to put it on.

Alfista logic??????

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Garage
Can it just be removed, what’s underneath (a bunch of holes, or the original S2 boot)?

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Can it just be removed, whatís underneath (a bunch of holes, or the original S2 boot)?
Not really the best option. There are holes in the trailing edge of the trunk lid, which of course could be filled. The bigger issue is that the tail lights blend into the spoiler side pieces, so removing them leaves the sides of the taillights hanging out there.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:31 AM

Garage
I think this is not looking bad at all !
Attached Images

'86 Quad Spider
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:45 AM

Yes that looks great. What did you do with the part of the taillight that comes around the side?
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Getting to the point of that silver car is a ton of work. Considerable metal work on the sides (in addition to filling the holes in the trunk lid). And completely modifying the tail lights to remove the lower rear extension and the side reflectors/markers. At that point, it might be easier just to substitute an S2 rear end.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Romagnoli View Post
Yes that looks great. What did you do with the part of the taillight that comes around the side?
It is not my car , I remembered seeing this add last week when I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to show it to you

Frans

'86 Quad Spider
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM

OK, I will be the odd man out. I really like the look of the all black original spoiler. I have a 77 and have from time to time toyed with the idea of how to fit the later spoiler to the 77. I've already back dated my bumpers to the stainless because I like that look much better than the rubber bumpers that came on the car in 77 but I also like the look of the black spoiler. To me it gives the car a much more aggressive look.

In my eyes the spoiler made the car much "sportier" looking and actually got it looking something like its racing heritage. I guess its the old adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Ventura Alfa
alfaromeoblack likes this.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaAlfa View Post
OK, I will be the odd man out. I really like the look of the all black original spoiler. I have a 77 and have from time to time toyed with the idea of how to fit the later spoiler to the 77. I've already back dated my bumpers to the stainless because I like that look much better than the rubber bumpers that came on the car in 77 but I also like the look of the black spoiler. To me it gives the car a much more aggressive look.

In my eyes the spoiler made the car much "sportier" looking and actually got it looking something like its racing heritage. I guess its the old adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Ventura Alfa

I am with you, I have a 84 with a rubber spoiler. I like the look and over 70 mpg the car seem to run really smooth. I believe it is because of the rear spoiler. What do I know I am not a aero engineer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

"I am with you, I have a 84 with a rubber spoiler. I like the look and over 70 mpg the car seem to run really smooth....."

How on earth do you get 70 MPG from an Alfa? But seriously, the rear spoiler on our Alfas has negligible effect upon the aerodynamics. Especially at highway speeds. Nothing that you could feel. And on a staightaway (i.e. down the road) they just produce unwanted drag. Rear-end downforce can be helpful in high speed corners, but is more effectively produced by an adjustable wing, not a spoiler.
My racing experience is primarily in open wheel single seaters, but I know if I was driving my Alfa in competition, I would want to loosen up the rear end a little. That spoiler, as ineffective as it is, would have to go.
In the real world it's about as effective as a racing stripe.
alfaromeoblack likes this.

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencedesigns View Post
"I am with you, I have a 84 with a rubber spoiler. I like the look and over 70 mpg the car seem to run really smooth....."

How on earth do you get 70 MPG from an Alfa? But seriously, the rear spoiler on our Alfas has negligible effect upon the aerodynamics. Especially at highway speeds. Nothing that you could feel. And on a staightaway (i.e. down the road) they just produce unwanted drag. Rear-end downforce can be helpful in high speed corners, but is more effectively produced by an adjustable wing, not a spoiler.
My racing experience is primarily in open wheel single seaters, but I know if I was driving my Alfa in competition, I would want to loosen up the rear end a little. That spoiler, as ineffective as it is, would have to go.

Thank you for the education. The good news is my Alfa has been very smooth on all road surfaces, but hey my daily driver is a 2002 Ford Truck. In comparison the two are night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tirefriar
The easiest remedy for removing the rear spoiler center section is to simply replace the trunk lid from a Series 2. Not sure how the sides mount, would be nice to see a pic(s) of their removal. I liked that red Alfa with a Zender kit... I can kinda see where Steve Saleen got his inspiration for an s281 rear end treatment
Attached Images

1984 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1990 BMW GS100
1991 Bimota YB10
2001 BMW 525i Touring
2007 Mercedes R350 AWD
2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika 193/300
PAST RIDES(abbreviated list): 1969 Spider 1750, 1969 Berlina x2, 1974 Spider x2, 1979 Spider, 1982 Spider x2, 2001 Jaguar XJR, 2011 BMW 328i, 2002 BMW R1150R, 2004 BMW Rockster Edition80 169/2003, 1968 Firebird Convertible, 1968 BMW 1600
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here are a couple of photos of a car where the owner just removed the spoiler pieces and filled the holes. It looks good, but you can see that the interface with the side marker is a little unnatural (in my opinion):

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencedesigns View Post

A properly designed spoiler can increase downforce without increasing drag. In fact, they can actually reduce drag by cleaning up the airflow towards the rear of the car- that's why NASCAR uses spoilers rather than wings.

That said, I agree that in the context of a stock spider driving on public roads, the impact is negligible. Doubt they were using computational fluid dynamics to model the aero on spider back in the mid-80s.

If you were going to race a spider in a time attack competition where aero modifications are open, you'd want a big front splitter and an adjustable wing in the rear on uprights that put it into the main airflow. You'd also want to cover the bottom of the car to make it as flat as possible, and move the fuel tank in order to make room for a diffuser in the rear. Finally, you'd want a hard top. I've read that running top-down on a Miata actually produces a considerable amount of downforce, but also a considerable amount of drag- to the point of taking almost 10mph off of top speed on longer straights in a spec Miata.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode