1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr.G

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to john.harrill
Question Round Tail Trunk Torsion Bar Replacement

The trunk springs in the Duetto I am working on have lost their will to live.
Even in the last notch, they do not provide enough torque to raise the lid, nor lift it adequately to release it from closed.

I have a set from a series 3 up in the rafters, so I pulled them down and held them up where the old bars were. I think they will work.....slightly different shape, but the right length.

In removing the old bars, however, the studs which hold the brackets/bars began to spin (all four of them ). There is a pocket above the studs, but access is probably not happening.

Any suggestions on the loose studs?

BTW, to release the tension on the old bars, I threaded (M8) the ends and placed a length of chain, a washer, and a nut on it. I could then safely tug on the chain unload the bar.

Currently Owned:
1957 Giulietta Spider (Maria - Home from the painter!!)
1988 Quadrifoglio (Tony)
1987 BMW 653CSI (Gustav)
2002 VW Passat Wagon V6
2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
1966 Giulia Sprint GT
1994 164LS 5-Speed

Working on:
1959 Giulietta Spider - Restoration
1967 Fiat Dino Coupe - Restoration
1967 Duetto - Freshening

Last edited by john.harrill; 07-06-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Here are the loose studs.....
Attached Images

Currently Owned:
1988 Quadrifoglio (Tony)
1987 BMW 653CSI (Gustav)
2002 VW Passat Wagon V6

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
1966 Giulia Sprint GT
1994 164LS 5-Speed

Working on:
1967 Duetto - Freshening
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I had similar problem on my car. It has a bent and slightly striped stud. I managed to straighten it and run a tap on it. If the one is spinning on your car, you don't have much choice but to go in.

Do you know Barry Feiertag? He had some torsion bars made for his car and was looking into offering them for sale.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:17 AM

My Dad was an engineer, and very clever.
May or may not work for you, but he helped me out.
Use a thin cutter disc, dremel?, and slot the stud for a standard screw driver, short of course. Dad originally slotted my threaded stud with a hacksaw. You can apply reverse force with the screwdriver. Use antiseize.
When you remove the nuts, if you have an air hammer that you can make fit, you can probably spin them off, maybe. Or use the screwdriver and take your time.
You can also use a vice grips with thin jaws, but if you don't cover the threads with tape, and are careful, can mangle the threads.
I wonder if your trunk lid is heavy from Bondo and so the spring steel is having an extra hard time? Replacing the rubber trunk seal also gives a bit of oomph to raise the lid.
New spring steel for heavy lids from Bondo would be welcome. Please let me know if you can sleuth those out.
My 1969, no Bondo, still pops right on up, my 67 which was wacked and has Bondo pops up, not as much, but it works.
Good luck.
Alfaboutvegas likes this.

Last edited by Dr.G; 07-07-2019 at 07:21 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Bars are in.

Slotting the ends of the studs did the trick.

However, even though the series 3 bars fit they can only be pulled to the first adjustment slot. The slotted bracket is mounted lower in a round tail than an S3.

Going to look at the strut approach.

Currently Owned:
1988 Quadrifoglio (Tony)
1987 BMW 653CSI (Gustav)
2002 VW Passat Wagon V6

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
1966 Giulia Sprint GT
1994 164LS 5-Speed

Working on:
1967 Duetto - Freshening
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
John,

I have an extra set of S1 torsion bars that came with one of my S1 cars. No idea what they are worth. I will need to check to make sure they are S1 bars but I am pretty sure they are. PM me if you are interested.

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto, '69 Spider
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 11 BMWs, Ram 1500
Other-past: 16 BMWs, MGs, Triumphs, other stuff that doesn't count.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 PM

I wonder if someone, like a spring shop for instance, could return the torsion bars to their original shape? Maybe take the car in and show them what is happening and what the desired result would be; then maybe a person who knows something about spring steel could estimate how much the torsion bars would need to be twisted and how.
Just a thought.
Mark

Mark
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.harrill View Post
Going to look at the strut approach.
this was one idea posted a few years back, that looked rather neat and simple (and reversible too)

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/5245377-post15.html
and photos of said mod:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/5253145-post17.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
this was one idea posted a few years back, that looked rather neat and simple (and reversible too)

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/5245377-post15.html
and photos of said mod:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/5253145-post17.html
This is an elegant solution. But I'm not sure I want to dive in to it on someone else's car.

Currently Owned:
1988 Quadrifoglio (Tony)
1987 BMW 653CSI (Gustav)
2002 VW Passat Wagon V6

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
1966 Giulia Sprint GT
1994 164LS 5-Speed

Working on:
1967 Duetto - Freshening

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode