1985 Spider Veloce - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sloboy89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

1985 Spider Veloce

Im looking to you experts for advise. My husband has died and he left me with two Alfas. I muddled thru selling the 1992 Spider but I am not sure which direction is best to take with the 1985. The kid that had it before him installed a powerful stereo and that lead to electrical problems and eventually he had to tear it apart and was in the process of rewriring. I dont know if I am better of selling it as is or if I should salvage it out. The body is good but the paint is not great. It has clear title and has never been in an accident according to the car fax he had run on it. The leather seats are good. The dash has cracks near the vents. It has around 143,000 miles on it. So what do you think sell as is and if so what price is decent or should I contact a salvalge place I found is in SF ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Very sorry for your loss.

As far as the Spider, I'd suggest selling it on Craigslist for whatever you can get and be done with it. Unfortunately this model isn't worth much. A very nice example might bring $5k. I'd guess less than be a third of that for your car as described. You might post pictures here to get a more accurate estimate.

Good luck!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:21 PM

Garage
I bought a non running 1985 recently for $1200. I now have over $4000 in the car and will never recover my investment.
I would go with gprockets's suggestion of Craigslist. If a person like me that can do electrical on cars sees it, he might jump on it.
Great car but not worth much. Maybe $1500 or best offer. I hate to see a car with a good body get parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I can't seem to add a photo from my iPad. I will try a regular computer tomorrow. I love the wood steering wheel and gear shift on this one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 05:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for the input. I can't seem to add a photo from my iPad. I will try a regular computer tomorrow. I love the wood steering wheel and gear shift on this one.
Among the S3 Spiders, there are things to like about the '85 model year. In addition the wood steering wheel you mentioned, 85 was the last year for the "twin binnacle" gauges, and unlike earlier years, it did not have the federally mandated 85 MPH speedometer (in the U.S.).
pantera928 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
Among the S3 Spiders, there are things to like about the '85 model year. In addition the wood steering wheel you mentioned, 85 was the last year for the "twin binnacle" gauges, and unlike earlier years, it did not have the federally mandated 85 MPH speedometer (in the U.S.).

One more thing the 85 was the first year of the rack andPinion steering. I believe the 85 was one of the best years for S3 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the added information I am getting. I need all the help I can get!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:21 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Condolences for your husband's passing.

I have to agree with the others that the car is likely not worth much except as a 'parts source'. It could take a long time and lot of work to sell it piece by piece. It seems likely your best option is to sell it "as is - for parts" and don't expect a lot of money. For example, I bought our '84 Spider about 10 years ago as a non-running-but-otherwise-complete car for $1000.

It might be worth contacting a local Alfa club. A club member may be willing to help you advertise it - perhaps in their local newsletter. See Alfa Romeo Owners Club - Chapter List (some say ALFA stands for Always Looking For Another...)

P.S. I'm not sure about that rack & pinion steering - first I've heard about that. The Series 4 Spiders (1990-1994) did get power steering - maybe they also have R & P?

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ghnl; 07-05-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
Maria . - sorry for your lose and I wish the best of luck on sell the car. Eric is correct just sell it as a complete car and not as parts.

Eric - I am pretty sure about the 85 had rack and pinion because when I purchased my 84 I was surprised that it did not have rack in pinion. What caught my attention was it was so much harder to turn the wheel at low speed on the 84.Who knows It was 10 years ago when I had the 85.

Ken Smith
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
condolences Maria,
IMHO< I don't recall rack/pinion on my 85 but it may have. I do know the 33, Alfasud & 145 had it.
but I digress, hope you sell your car. and I agree w/the consensus

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg

Last edited by Alfaboutvegas; 07-05-2019 at 02:11 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Garage
Neither my 1985 nor my 1990 came with rack and pinion. All had a steering box. In 1991, they went to a power steering box.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
I will stand corrected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

And I won’t mention it when I go to sell it! I appreciate every bit of input that all of you have given. Cheers to all of you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode