Falling Fuse Box - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By slowcreek
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 271
Falling Fuse Box

I'm wondering if any of you with S4 cars have had trouble with the fuse box coming loose from the moorings and falling down in front of the clutch pedal?

If this has been a problem how did you fix it?

The driver who transported my car from California to Arizona managed to kick the fuse box with his size 13 boots hard enough to knock it completely loose (thanks buddy). I resecured it but the factory method looks iffy at best. The cover for the box vanished before I bought the car and those vulnerable fuses are just waiting to get snagged on the toe of my left shoe.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Jack Straw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 PM
Registered User
 
alfaromeoblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 296
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I'm wondering if any of you with S4 cars have had trouble with the fuse box coming loose from the moorings and falling down in front of the clutch pedal?



If this has been a problem how did you fix it?



The driver who transported my car from California to Arizona managed to kick the fuse box with his size 13 boots hard enough to knock it completely loose (thanks buddy). I resecured it but the factory method looks iffy at best. The cover for the box vanished before I bought the car and those vulnerable fuses are just waiting to get snagged on the toe of my left shoe.


I had to swing down my fuse box to get it out of the way while I was changing the hood cable. Yes the fastener is a rubber grommet that the fuse box plugs into is on one side. It seems to work. The other side is a hook of some sort. I really had to get down, look and study it to understand how it worked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
alfaromeoblack is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:13 PM
Registered User
 
slowcreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 938
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I'm wondering if any of you with S4 cars have had trouble with the fuse box coming loose from the moorings and falling down in front of the clutch pedal?

If this has been a problem how did you fix it?

The driver who transported my car from California to Arizona managed to kick the fuse box with his size 13 boots hard enough to knock it completely loose (thanks buddy). I resecured it but the factory method looks iffy at best. The cover for the box vanished before I bought the car and those vulnerable fuses are just waiting to get snagged on the toe of my left shoe.
I told you to get rid of those spike heels long ago.
stradguy93 and Jack Straw like this.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
slowcreek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 271
Thanks slowcreek. It's good to know I can always count on your powers of observation.

Now that we've disparaged my footwear choices I might mention that the Mickey Mouse hinge and latch system that secures the fuse box has, at least on my '91, fallen prey to that "Old Italian Plastic Disease" that causes said parts to disintegrate with any human contact.

In my car the latch that holds the fuse box after it has been swung back up to the closed position has crumbled into oblivion. The two hinge pin bosses that snap into a metal frame are made of a better nylon based plastic so those still work (for now anyway).

As some of you know working under the S4 dash in the footwell can be a claustrophobic, contortionist nightmare so rather than attempt to cooperate with the original Alfa method I decided to make something that ACTUALLY WORKS to foil the flopping fuse box.

I cut a piece of 1/8" Lexan sheet to about 5 x 7" that attaches to the bottom edge of the knee bolster at two points using self tapping screws and extends as a shelf that supports the fuse box and in the bargain acts as a cover.

It works, it's cheap, it's simple. Problem solved. I'm so happy I just may buy a new pair of spike heels

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Jack Straw is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Vintre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waterdown, Ontario
Posts: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Thanks slowcreek. It's good to know I can always count on your powers of observation.

Now that we've disparaged my footwear choices I might mention that the Mickey Mouse hinge and latch system that secures the fuse box has, at least on my '91, fallen prey to that "Old Italian Plastic Disease" that causes said parts to disintegrate with any human contact.

In my car the latch that holds the fuse box after it has been swung back up to the closed position has crumbled into oblivion. The two hinge pin bosses that snap into a metal frame are made of a better nylon based plastic so those still work (for now anyway).

As some of you know working under the S4 dash in the footwell can be a claustrophobic, contortionist nightmare so rather than attempt to cooperate with the original Alfa method I decided to make something that ACTUALLY WORKS to foil the flopping fuse box.

I cut a piece of 1/8" Lexan sheet to about 5 x 7" that attaches to the bottom edge of the knee bolster at two points using self tapping screws and extends as a shelf that supports the fuse box and in the bargain acts as a cover.

It works, it's cheap, it's simple. Problem solved. I'm so happy I just may buy a new pair of spike heels

Your not the only S4 owner that has this problem.

In my case the 2 hing pin bosses broke off. I have resorted to drilling some holes in the fuse box and the nearest in car position when lifted and am using zip ties. Not the most elegant but works "most of the time". The box still falls down sometimes and seems to do it while I'm driving.

Could you post a picture of your solution? Seems more durable than mine.

Thanks,

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
Vintre is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 271
I suspected there were others suffering from Floppy Fuse Box Syndrome.

I'll get a couple of pics posted this evening or tomorrow.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Jack Straw is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Registered User
 
slowcreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 938
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I suspected there were others suffering from Floppy Fuse Box Syndrome.

I'll get a couple of pics posted this evening or tomorrow.
Be sure to include the footwear.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
slowcreek is online now  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Registered User
 
Shakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Columbia, Missouri, USA
Posts: 541
I don't have an S4 to model a solution from, so "no 3D Printed parts for you!"

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)
Shakey is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Gold Subscriber
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 271
Vintre, here's a pic. It's a confusing perspective but I think you can get the idea. The scrap of Lexan I used was 7.5" x 7" and 1/8" thick. I certainly could refine the shape but my object was to see if the basic idea was workable. This first try obviously blocks the light switch inset in the knee bolster but is not an issue for my first go 'round.
Attached Images
 

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Jack Straw is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome