Question about top boot - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Question about top boot

I am looking for a top boot for my '88 Veloce. I understand there are two versions. The smaller original style and the larger "quad" style.
I don't really like the older style with the obtrusive white clips in the back. It seems the Quad versions I have seen just
use the two clips at either end that match up with the posts at the trunk. Very neat.
But the new boots that Centerline sell in the "Quad" version state that they need clips. And don't seem to have the corner hooks.

Am I wrong about the two styles? Did the larger boot always have rear plastic clips?

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Garage
I have the Veloce/Quad top boot and do not use the clips. A couple of things I don't particularly like about it is, 1. I have speakers mounted on the parcel deck and with the boot on it muffles the speakers and 2. it seems to wind whip quite a bit at highway speeds and is never as "tight" as I would like. I am thinking of designing some type of strut to put inside of it to make it tighter and possibly handle the wind better. I must admit, I leave the zippers under the seat belt straps undone the hear the stereo better but don't think it would perform a lot better totally secured. I am playing with the idea of getting the smaller one too.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The large style top boot on my '91 S4 Veloce doesn't come close to fitting around the shoulder belt openings so I just leave these unzipped. A local friend with an S4 suggested installing a snap fastener at the outer bottom corners of the main boot flap and this really reduces movement when driving.

Another benefit of the large top boot is the ability to stow items underneath and out of prying eyes. Not as good as locking something in the trunk, but pretty convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
I have the Veloce/Quad top boot and do not use the clips. A couple of things I don't particularly like about it is, 1. I have speakers mounted on the parcel deck and with the boot on it muffles the speakers and 2. it seems to wind whip quite a bit at highway speeds and is never as "tight" as I would like. I am thinking of designing some type of strut to put inside of it to make it tighter and possibly handle the wind better. I must admit, I leave the zippers under the seat belt straps undone the hear the stereo better but don't think it would perform a lot better totally secured. I am playing with the idea of getting the smaller one too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode