Help with buying a '75 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Help with buying a '75

Hey guys and gals. I'm looking at a 1975 Spider. Owned a 76 about 30 years ago. This one still has the fuel injection. Should I be concerned? Whats the cost to change to dual severs? Engine looks good on first inspection and starts quick. Interior: some rough patches, but new seats. Rockers are rough. With rust. Front has splitting on paint. Rear bumper has rust where it joins car on pasenger side. Obviously body work needs to be done, doesnt look like the rust has gone through though.
Brand new top. Drivers door a bit sticky, may just need an adjustment.
Any ideas on what I should pay? Said they wanted 4500. I think I can get it for $3500 cdn. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:06 PM

Help with buying a '75

Rust? And more rust? And more rust! And you’re still considering!?

This sounds like a parts car to me. When it comes to rust, what you are seeing is always the tip of the iceberg. Remember these cars were NOT made of galvanized steel (series 2). Please find a better car!

Where are you located? Maybe we can help..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:06 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Leigh View Post
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking at a 1975 Spider. Owned a 76 about 30 years ago. This one still has the fuel injection. Should I be concerned? Whats the cost to change to dual severs? Engine looks good on first inspection and starts quick. Interior: some rough patches, but new seats. Rockers are rough. With rust. Front has splitting on paint. Rear bumper has rust where it joins car on pasenger side. Obviously body work needs to be done, doesnt look like the rust has gone through though.
Any ideas on what I should pay? Said they wanted 4500. I think I can get it for $3500 cdn. Any help is appreciated.

The SPICA injected cars are the least loved of the Alfas. Those with the huge bumpers are even less loved. That equates to collectability at this point in time. On these cars, rust is of a bigger concern than on an older SPICA car. Please don't let the new interior, top and other items fool you. If the rust is really bad, it will consume all of your budget.

In a nut shell, anything mechanical is cheap to repair compared to rust. Injection pumps fail with age. They often times will leak fuel into the oil. So, when looking at the car, pull the dipstick and smell for gasoline. The cost of a rebuild I believe is around $1400. And, the wait is 6-12 months, I believe. Converting to a Weber setup up will be a bit more expensive.

The rusty bumpers are pretty typical of these cars. I went through two sets on my Alfetta.

$4500 for a rusty car that smokes is probably too much to pay. If you are serious about the car, I encourage you to find an experienced Alfa mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. Normally, the charge is about an hour of labor. It's money well spent.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremere613 View Post
Rust? And more rust? And more rust! And you’re still considering!?

This sounds like a parts car to me. When it comes to rust, what you are seeing is always the tip of the iceberg. Remember these cars were NOT made of galvanized steel (series 2). Please find a better car!

Where are you located? Maybe we can help..
Thank you.
I'm in East Toronto.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Quote:

The SPICA injected cars are the least loved of the Alfas. Those with the huge bumpers are even less loved. That equates to collectability at this point in time. On these cars, rust is of a bigger concern than on an older SPICA car. Please don't let the new interior, top and other items fool you. If the rust is really bad, it will consume all of your budget.

In a nut shell, anything mechanical is cheap to repair compared to rust. Injection pumps fail with age. They often times will leak fuel into the oil. So, when looking at the car, pull the dipstick and smell for gasoline. The cost of a rebuild I believe is around $1400. And, the wait is 6-12 months, I believe. Converting to a Weber setup up will be a bit more expensive.

The rusty bumpers are pretty typical of these cars. I went through two sets on my Alfetta.

$4500 for a rusty car that smokes is probably too much to pay. If you are serious about the car, I encourage you to find an experienced Alfa mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. Normally, the charge is about an hour of labor. It's money well spent.
Thanks. Seems to be the rust thsts the concern.
I was surprised the injector still worked. Thats my other big concern.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:48 AM

Help with buying a '75

Quote:
Thank you.
I'm in East Toronto.

Please join and contact your local Alfa Romeo club!

I recently spoke to a Canadian Alfa Romeo club member and he was an absolute delight!!

You won’t regret it.

https://alfaclub.ca

Best of luck

-Dan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:33 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
Sticking doors may be related to the corroded rockers (or sills as we call them). These are key structural elements of the body, made up of several formed sections, and if they go, the car can flex in the middle, causing the doors to bind and/or not close correctly. Have a look at the consistency of the door gaps from top to bottom, or watch the gaps when driving, to see if they open and close while under way. Dead giveaway. You would have to budget some $$ for repairing these, probably $1000 a side.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Read this carefully:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car...cted-alfa.html

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode