Redline 75/90NS Gear oil - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Redline 75/90NS Gear oil

Fellow Alfisti,

I recently changed the transmission fluid on my '89 Quad with 75/90NS. I was hoping to get your thoughts on if this fluid really helps with the gears/synchros.

So far it doesnt feel any different than before I changed the fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 PM

Garage
Doesn't help if syncros are already worn out - had trans rebuilt by Alfa racer and using redline now- he's been racing Alfas forever and knows what works - also put syncro on first gear which is really nice - no grinding or waiting to put in gear at stops also need to use in rearend - check out Jemison ? Racing
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 AM

Gearbox.

Which gearbox did you have a synchro fitted to first gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I use the Redline 75W90 NS in my gearbox but the shifting is still a bit finicky when cold. It improves quite a bit after it warms up.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Syncros & oils

Both Moly, Non-moly and Transaxles come with one directional syncros on 1st gear. Replacing them with 2nd-5th type syncro assemblies resolve the grinding when engaging 1st gear from stop or down shifting. As well the 2nd gear syncro is usually the first to wear out.
Read the "sticky" on the transmission/transaxle thread site.
Remember each syncro when engaged must change the speed of ALL the gears, shafts and the clutch disk in the drive train.. not just that gear.

Redline NS is best in all these Alfa transmissions as well as Porsche and other trans with Porsche design syncros.
alfabeach likes this.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:11 AM

Garage
Hi Richard, Dean here, you rebuilt my trans and works great - wanted to pass info on to others about what you do ! Thanks again
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 AM

When I bought my Super from NL it had a seriously bad 2nd gear syncro. Adding Redline NS gear definitely helped but, as expected, didn't solve the problem If you have a bad 2nd gear syncro it helps to know how to double clutch. Then you won't get grinding and you'll amaze your friends with your dexterity . . .

The real difference came when we installed a close-ratio transmission I had sitting around for a long time. I've driven Alfas for many years but had always used generic 90w gear lube. Changing to Redline NS made a significant difference in a 'box with fresh syncros. The best thing I can say about the Redline gear lube is that there is a discernable difference in tactile feel going up or down the gears. The Alfa gearbox uses, to quote an old manual . . . "Porsche style balk-ring design" syncros. Simply put, there is a lot less "balk" with the Redline lube in the 'box. The result, especially when down shifting, is a much easier operation. Double-clutching into 2nd, which I do as much for fun and street-cred as for saving wear and tear, is much, much easier. Redline NS rocks!

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:33 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
I agree - it isn't a magic elixir that'll fix worn synchros. But it is also worth running it for a few hundred miles and then changing it again (best done after a long drive while the oil is warm). This sometimes helps to get all the old 'wrong' oil flushed out.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettaparts2 View Post
Which gearbox did you have a synchro fitted to first gear?
See the thread "First Gear Fix" in the stickies section.

Robert
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Most of us with 164s have run the factory recommended ATF lube (for the US market) in the transaxle with great success for many many thousands of miles. I wonder how that would work in some of these other transmissions?

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-27-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:25 PM

I’m fully aware of the first gear ‘fix’. Semantics but you didn’t have synchro fitted to first gear. You had it replaced. Hence my question.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:31 PM

Garage
See alfar7 post - Richard rebuilt trans and did mod _ it works well- 2 nod spider I've rebuilt from ground up and best trans ever
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:08 PM

I might be a bit thick but why do you need to put synchro on first? I can`t see the necessity and how it would improve the car. I`ve never had the need to use first gear for anything more than start off and I have by habit always placed the gearbox into second before placing in first in any car I drive.
On the subject of oil we always use Amsoil gear oil and it does make a great difference positively - this goes into all our classics from `62 Fiat 500, to old Lancias, to our Ferrari. Redline is not available over here but Amsoil through a local retailer is.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:48 PM

First gear

Nobody has added a synchro to first gear. Itís a modification to the first gear synchro. The original post didnít make that clear which is why I originally asked what he ment.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:16 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
I might be a bit thick but why do you need to put synchro on first? I can`t see the necessity and how it would improve the car. I`ve never had the need to use first gear for anything more than start off and I have by habit always placed the gearbox into second before placing in first in any car I drive.
Well sure - I guess you could argue that synchros aren't NEEDED at all. With the right technique consistently applied you don't strictly need them. But in day-to-day driving they most certainly are a big improvement for comfort and ease of use. That's all this is. I always touch another gear before going into first at a stop too, but sometimes it would be nice not to. I drive a lot of mountain roads and often drop down to first for uphill hairpins. I do find it pretty easy to double-clutch it in so again, it's not strictly NEEDED - but it would be nice if it had a syncro on it. EDIT: please be very clear that I mean a bi-directional syncro. I do know it has once from the factory (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettaparts2 View Post
Nobody has added a synchro to first gear. It’s a modification to the first gear synchro. The original post didn’t make that clear which is why I originally asked what he meant.
Yeah Richard made that quite clear in post 5. Glad we got that cleared up.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode