Exhaust fumes - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhaust fumes

New member new to area have heard this is common problem but haven't heard of definitive solutions and don't know which forum to post to - 89spider getting exhaust fumes in cabin when driving top up or down have just finished engine / trains rebuild and paint- can't find any openings under car -second spider never had this prob with 87 spider - 89 has always done this - read factory bulletin about tailpipe have stinger on and no difference it is shorter than stock pipe - any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:04 AM

I have a new magnaflow exhaust on my '74 Spider. The tailpipe is straight. However, it is probably longer than most, extending 8.5" from the body app. 5.75" from the rear bumper. I have not had any issues with exhaust gas. Is it because of the length of the pipe? I don't know. I would check for exhaust leakage from all exhaust manifold gaskets as well as for manifold cracks.

Joe G.
'74 Spider
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhaust is good all new except manifold - good no cracks - I've been told body change with spoiler is problem on spiders - tailpipe on my 87 stuck out good ways and never had this- centerline pipe barely reaches bumper and has slight upturn - wish I had a wind tunnel ! Someone posted factory bulletin about not shorting pipe - just wanted to know if anyone else had this prob and found solution before I start cutting pipe to extend it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Garage
My tailpipe only sticks out approx. 3 inches past body skirt cut out. Never had an exhaust fume problem. Maybe there is a "window" of length that that catches the air flow just right to bring it back into the car.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That's what I was thinking and wondered if anyone found that window before I start cutting and guessing
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Saw old posts about same issue but never any real definitive solutions
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

You sure your mixture is right? An EFI car shouldn't have much exhaust smell to start with.

I'd measure voltage output from your oxygen sensor, make sure the car isn't running rich.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
I suggest you replace the hood seal, the rubber seal strip along the back edge of the hood.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricedean View Post
That's what I was thinking and wondered if anyone found that window before I start cutting and guessing
I'm not sure what you're cure might be but Gubi does make a good point. If you find your mixture is correct maybe get a scalloped stinger and try directing exhaust in different directions? Like I said, my straight pipe ends under the bumper and I never even get a whiff of exhaust.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good thing I can smell them - bad that I am breathing them- mixture is good runs great entire rev range - plug readings look good ( old school tuner ) I think it's aerodynamic problem - don't want to extend pipe too far out and look strange - have done every thing can think of checked trunk taillight gaskets etc -- thanks for input every one - you never know when someone else might think of something I missed
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Centerline stinger pipe doesn't make it to bumper but stock muffler wasn't much longer and still same problem - put straight pipe on to reduce back pressure and possibly speakup gas flow out pipe to get away from car quicker but didn't help
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:33 PM

Garage
Contrary to some popular beliefs, in this instance I am not sure longer is necessarily better. I do know if an 89 has the same spoiler/bumper/aerodynamics of an 86, but like I said, mine is really short( my exhaust) and fumes are not an issue. I am not sure anybody is going to be able to give you a definitive answer on this one.....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:05 PM

Garage
I was told that the end of the tail pipe must have a down turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:24 PM

I had this problem in spades. My clothing would reek of tail pipe fumes. My car is a 69 spider and my mechanical fuel injection was the culprit. Even though the car functioned perfectly there was wear that created tail pipe mixture poison. I replaced the spice pump and had it set up perfectly and the heavy smelly tail pipe problem went away. FYI I tried all the sealing and plugging ideas none worked
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
I asked this same question when I started driving my 78 spider. I could also smell gas driving top up or down. The trunk smelled of gas and my garage as well after driving. There is a very well done You tube video addressing checking the sending unit in the gas tank for leaking seals. I never went that far because I found a leaking, cracked hose in the trunk. Replaced it with compression tubing and no more fumes. Here's a picture. I don't know the real name of the part but the plastic connector needs to be in an upright position.
Attached Images

factotum likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode