Sealants: Rear Axle Seal Install & Axle Tube - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Sealants: Rear Axle Seal Install & Axle Tube

Have spent about an hour reading various posts, manuals, etc. on installing the rear axle seal in the axle tube per picture below (not mine, just grabbed off BB).

Seems some people use Permatex Ultra Blue between the outer seal housing and the axle tube to make sure it doesn't leak there. Some use grease there. Seems some don't use anything. I was thinking of using some Permatex Anaerobic (51813). What's the best practice here?

Also, I assume Permatex Anaerobic gets used where the axle tubes mate with the differential pumpkin, correct? Manuals don't mention it, but I see it some posts.

Thanks!
Attached Images

--Scott
Current: 85 GTV6, 69 Duetto, 17 Giulia, 74 GTV
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:09 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Alfa didn't use anything ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for that.

Yeah - sometimes hard to tell given how the manuals are written (guessing translation from Italian). Here's the 89 Spider page where, I **think** it is trying to say that they recommend moly grease on the outside metal housing of the seal. But hard to tell from how written. Sheesh.
Attached Images

--Scott
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM

I just put a thin film of Permatex Ultra Black on and tapped the seal into place only because I scratched the mating surface a tad getting the old seal out. Can't see a reason not to even though i'm sure someone will say otherwise.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Also - can someone confirm that I should be using Permatex on the axle tube-to-differential pumpkin mating surfaces?

Again there nothing in the manuals, but seems like it would be assembled like a gearbox case which does require it.

Thanks!

--Scott
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:19 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackie View Post
Thanks for that.

Yeah - sometimes hard to tell given how the manuals are written (guessing translation from Italian). Here's the 89 Spider page where, I **think** it is trying to say that they recommend moly grease on the outside metal housing of the seal. But hard to tell from how written. Sheesh.
I stand corrected.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yeah, maybe. I’m not even 100% sure that’s what it’s saying given the complicated verbiage.

At any rate, can anyone confirm my 2nd question on using a sealant between axle tube ends and the differential? Seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks.

--Scott
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:05 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackie View Post
At any rate, can anyone confirm my 2nd question on using a sealant between axle tube ends and the differential? Seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks.
I did when I rebuilt my axle.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Anaerobic sealer on the diff car halves and pass side axle tube

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks guys!

--Scott
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Torque to spec ; section 17 , 19.5 ft/lbs as I recall

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:46 PM

The seal ring should be packed with grease, which helps ensure that its gaiter is not disturbed during installation. The gaiter is that spring inside the seal's lip. I smear a little of that same grease on the outside of the seal to ease its installation and reduce the chance of tearing or scuffing the rubber surface.

If there's a lot of corrosion of the metal where the seal sits, a sealant such as type 574 may be helpful instead of smearing the grease.

If you have a LSD, be sure the grease does not contain MoS2 (moly disulfide), which will poison the clutch plates. I use an Audi product, p/n G.052.128.A1, which is really handy for smaller diameter radial oil seals because it's in a tube with a nozzle and is easy to squirt into the seal. But any grease without MoS2 should be just fine. Cheers,

Kevin
Catellus Engineering, Inc. - http://catellusengineering.com/
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatellusEng View Post
If you have a LSD, be sure the grease does not contain MoS2 (moly disulfide), which will poison the clutch plates. I use an Audi product, p/n G.052.128.A1, which is really handy for smaller diameter radial oil seals because it's in a tube with a nozzle and is easy to squirt into the seal. But any grease without MoS2 should be just fine. Cheers,
Ah - you know, I didn't even think about that. That is a good call out.

--Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode