Raising the seat in an S3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Raising the seat in an S3

I’m an average height guy (5’8”, literally the average). I feel like I sit a little low in the seat, but there’s no height adjustment of which I am aware, just forward/back and recline. I’ve done some searching and couldn’t find anything about people raising the seat base in an S3. I feel like an inch would make the difference. Has anyone done this? I don’t think the seat cushions are worn—they seem firm enough and quite comfortable. Should I look at those first?

Thanks,

Steve

1986 Spider Quadrifoglio "Lola", 1965 MG Midget MkII "Gidget", 2011 Mini Cooper S "Nigel"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:21 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
My guess is the seat cushion is either worn or was modified by a (tall!) previous owner. I'm 6'1" and often have to crouch down to see overhead traffic lights.

Anyway, it should be easy to try some spacer blocks and longer seat to track bolts. Or sit on a pillow.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
I would do the seat foam first. You could put some steel spacers and longer bolts under the seat rails. Maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" or attach a box section between the two.
Attached Images

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Gold Subscriber

I had the same problem. I removed the driver's seat and took the mounts off of the seat side. Inserted some 1/2 spacers (or a stack of washers perhaps) and re-installed.
Works great!

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I had thought of the spacer but wasn’t sure if there was some other accepted method, or if something was broken. I’ll check out the seat cushion and try the spacers.

Steve

1986 Spider Quadrifoglio "Lola", 1965 MG Midget MkII "Gidget", 2011 Mini Cooper S "Nigel"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Back in the '50's the Porsche factory recommended wood blocks under the seat frame of the speedster models to raise the seat for short guys. Not sure how that works with crash testing, seat belt laws, .... big brother

Last edited by 930cabman; 06-18-2019 at 04:16 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930cabman View Post
... the Porsche factory recommended wood blocks under the seat frame...
Carbon Fibre - tell them it is carbon fibre...

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM

could be the PO was 6'4" and took out the factory spacers!

first thing I'd do, is remove the seat and see what you have. Keep a note of what spacer (if any) went where.

Changing the cushions is a lot of work.
It can also be your seat pan has rusted or split around the mounting points and has sunk a bit. This you can only really see once the seat is out.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The PO was a 5'5" Italian. I don't think he would have done this... but maybe the PPO did. I doubt the pans are rusted--I have yet to find a speck of rust on this car.

I'll pull the seats sometime soon and see what's up. If I can swap the seat cushions, I'll try that (maybe they are a bit flat?). I'll also have spacers at the ready.

As a side note, the car has been driven 2,600 miles in 11 years. Many things are just tired / rotted from age, not use.

Steve

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstrublic View Post
Im an average height guy (58, literally the average).
Thanks,

Steve
You should change your username to "Norm"...

Current: 69 GTV, 2019 Stelvio, 95 Porsche 968 cab
Past 74 GTV, 69 GTV, 74 Spider
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:47 AM

what happens when you sit in the passenger seat? that cushion will be much less used.
If that feels good you could maybe swop over the seat bases? (who cares about the passenger?)

another solution if the cushion is at fault: you can fairly easily remove the driver's seat squab from the pan (4 pop rivets need to be drilled out and the 4 cushion frame retaining tabs bent straight so as to lift the cushion off the pan)
then you could, if the cushion looks reasonable from underneath and not crumbling apart, stuff some new foam between the 3 large cavities underneath.

This would in any case firm up the old cushion. Don't stuff too much or it'll feel too hard.

Nb: new cushions do not have the correct tabs when it comes to refitting them back (typical aftermarket stuff!) so you have to work around this and make your own, no great problem, just turns an hour or two job into a day and a half....

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode