Clutch pedal issue - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim G

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Clutch pedal issue

Hello Alfisti,

I have a 69 Spider that developed an issue that I haven't been able to cure. The clutch pedal doesn't fully return to its position. I can pull it back to its place with my foot.

The problem, sometimes the clutch has little pressure behind it making gear changes grind. If I hold the pedal down there is a slight squeaky noise that will go away and then the clutch seems to work. It doesn't happen all of the time. It acts up from time to time making me nervous to take her out. Also, if I pull the pedal back to its fully retracted position, it seems to work. Hard to diagnose when it doesn't happen all of the time.
Checked the slave and master, both seem fine, the slave is only a year old. Measured travel of slave seems correct, 8 mm or so. Could it be the flex line? One other thing I did, I noted the bleed screw on the slave wasn't at 12, closer to the 10 o'clock position. I moved it back and the problem hasn't returned, although I haven't really been driving the car all that much. Any help would be great....

1969 1750 Spider*Giorgia?*
1970 1750 Spider*magica*--mi ha lasciato per un altro,luglio 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Gold Subscriber

There are many things that can be at fault. First change and then bleed the hydraulic fluid. I always try and check the simple things first as they tend to get over looked. The pedal should return from the pressure in the system, there could be air or contaminates in the system too, blending may help. How old is the master cylinder and flex hose? They do have a life span. Hope you find the issue, good luck
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:54 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Nine times out of ten these problems are hydraulic. In this case, from the symptoms and intermittent nature I'd guess an issue with the master cylinder (you said the slave was new, and when the slave fails you typically get a puddle of fluid under the car so you know.)

You can try bleeding to make sure there's no air in there, but my guess is you may need to replace the MC. Might as well also replace the hose while you're at it, then you'll have a complete new-ish system.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:22 PM

wouldn't worry about the 12 o'clock thing, that is only necessary when actually bleeding.

the pedal not returning 'periodically' could well be the flex line....it can swell up inside and clam shut, not allowing fluid to pass back easily when pedal is released.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Change the flex line first bleed the system and then see what happens. The rubber lines get oil soaked and swell up. They also swell up on the inside reducing the diameter of the hole.

I highly recommend putting the stainless steel flex line on it. Centerline and others have them.
radamm likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:27 AM

Another item not covered on the pedal return is the spring for the pedal is probably broken. $10 item and can be replaced without taking the pedal box out.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 AM

I had this problem on my 69 Spider - it was the clutch flexible hose which had swollen inside as noted above.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:38 AM

I am having the same issue on my 1984 Veloce. The clutch works great in the morning and then later in the day I am having a horrible time getting the car into first gear. It likes the car likes to drive around in the morning but needs a nap during the day. Thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 PM

Garage
Had similar problem on both my spiders- clutch pedal arm to shaft weld letting go - very common on older spiders w original part - later replace menus have improved welds - you'll know when it finally lets go- had to drive 100 miles to get home with no clutch last time
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquid View Post
I am having the same issue on my 1984 Veloce.
Mauricedean and SuperSquid:

You're talking about Alfas with hanging pedals. Yea, that weld can fracture on hanging pedal cars.

But howndog's '69 has standing pedals. It's a completely different beast.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 PM

Garage
Did 69 model use external return spring on throw out arm to bell housing?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:13 PM

Garage
I've seen quite a few posts about clutch hydraulic problems and thought I'd share mine- got box full of slave cyls brake calipers etc - disassembled every thing cleaned and switched to dot5 silicone fluid and haven't replaced any thing in last 6 years - just saylng
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricedean View Post
Did 69 model use external return spring on throw out arm to bell housing?
Yea, I think so. There was definitely a return spring at the clutch master, as divotandtralee discusses in post #6.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 PM

Garage
Spruell sales a kit to retro newer to old style adjustable style and it's a spring at throw out arm - I remember seeing old style before and considered it for mine- you remove spring inside slave cyls so if his is that style their should be a spring their or won't return peddle up ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode