1973 Alfa Romeo Spider! (Yup, another one!) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

1973 Alfa Romeo Spider! (Yup, another one!)

Ok guys the bug bit me pretty hard after driving my 84í..

And here is the result:

Car doesnít run and itís obviously been resprayed (The Joker trench coat purple?)

Engine appears to have been rebuilt but who knows, the owner claims it just needs:

1. A new distributor

2. Spica looked over or dual Webers (and you already know which option Iím going for!)

Many issues still have to be overcome. The DMV only issued me temporary registration and warned me that the title could take up to two months to get.
And the other issue being is that it desperately needs a garage! (Appointment for a prospective garage tomorrow, wish me luck!!)

Thoughts on rust? It looks good to me but input appreciated!

Convertible top being assembled:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:44 PM

Garage
Looks like you got a pretty nice '73. Here are a few things you may want to do.
1. Check compression to make sure engine is sound.
2. Check to see if fuel is getting to the SPICA FI pump. Also make sure there's a drive belt to the pump. No fuel to the pump = clogged filter (unlikely) or bad inline fuel pump (most likely).
3. If fuel is getting to the pump, then check to see if fuel is being pumped out. There's a solenoid on the SPICA pump for cold starting. It's the one that's furthest from the drive cog and closest to the fender. Check your spark plugs after 5 no start cranks. If they're wet, dry them out and then try again. IF they're dry, then you don't have enough fuel coming in. Try some starter fluid and see if you can get her to start.
4. Do not crank, crank, crank to start the car. You'll overheat the starter.
5. If you have fuel, then check the spark plug. Make sure you have a spark going to the plug. Check at the plug, then dist cap. If all is good at the plug, then it could be a timing problem. If nothing at the dist cap, check the coil and wire from coil to cap. Check points - they're hard to change on this car - many recommend removing the distributor, so you have easy access.
6. If the battery is low, you may not be able to start the car. My '74 needs a strong battery to start her up.
7. You can start your car with the air cleaner removed. I recommend this method first, so you have access to the SPICA pump and the fuel pump relay.

You should get her to start. She may not run, but at least you'll get a start, which is a good thing. Diagnose the problem, isolate the culprit and change the part. If the SPICA is working, you may want to leave it alone and enjoy the car for a while before changing to the dual DCOE webers.

Put her up on the lift and check for rust at the rockers (inner and outer), wheel wells, fenders (behind the tire), rear quarter (in front of the tire), floorpan, spare tire well and front and rear valance. Look for patch jobs and make sure any repair work is sound and there are no leaks (or you'll rust again). Make sure the drain holed on the rockers are clear.

Check the rear trunion to make sure the rubber wafers are in good condition. Change if they're not. You'll feel the rear end moving if they're worn or missing.

Check engine and transmission mounts to make sure they're okay.

Change all fluids. Check brake hoses (rubber ones) and replace if cracked or brittle. Flush old brake fluid. Check radiator and heater hoses - replace if cracked. Check radiator overflow tank for leaks or cracks. Check radiator cap - make sure it doesn't leak. Change SPICA filter. Change air filter if needed. Replace vacuum hoses and four intake hoses from air cleaner to throttle bodies if cracked. Clean out oil separator (round thing on fender with hoses going to it). Replace hoses as needed. Change transmission fluid and rear diff fluid. Check distributor cap (no cracks and clean on underside with shiny metal contacts). Check rotor (not burned/pitted). Change plugs, unless they're like new condition with good crisp edged on the center electrode.

Check tires (not too old or cracked). Check brakes (lining okay).

If all is good, then enjoy your new Spider. It's convertible season!!!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
One more recommendation.

You may want to swap wheels. I think the star wheels would look better on the newer red car and the Panasports will look better on the older blue car.

And I forgot to recommend checking the suspension for worn parts. If the shocks are stiff or leaking, replace all around. These cars have a nice compliant ride - they don't beat you up. If the shocks go bad, the car rides hard and you won't enjoy your beautiful new Spider!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremere613 View Post
the owner claims it just needs:

1. A new distributor
Boy, that sounds pretty bogus. Now, there may be problems with the distributor (mis-adjusted points, bad condensor, ...) but they seldom need replacing.

Quote:
2. Spica looked over or dual Webers
Yea, that I can believe. Unfortunately, no one here will have any opinions on the Spica vs. Weber thing

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
Purple or blue (I’m colour blind)??
In anycase it looks lovely.. too many red ones already!

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Unfortunately, no one here will have any opinions on the Spica vs. Weber thing
I'll bite.

I have had Alfas with all kinds of fuel induction systems: Spica, Bosch, and currently have a 2-liter '70 Giulia Super with dell'Ortos and a '79 Spider with Spica. The Super is stock except for the motor and an electric fuel pump; the '79 has been retrofitted with a traditional 2-piece cast iron exhaust manifold and a proper stock Euro exhaust with a Stinger rear.

Though much maligned, the Spica system, properly set up, is a pleasure: trouble-free, flexible, and affords both good fuel economy and power. Little maintenance is required once set up.

While ultimately you should go with whatever you like, I would recommend that you service the Spica and see how the car runs before going through the expense and trouble of putting carbs on your car.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Purple or blue (Iím colour blind)??
In anycase it looks lovely.. too many red ones already!

Good question!

Depending on the lighting it can appear like purple or very dark blue. Definitely not my first choice, but for the price I had to move on it..

Hopefully weíll find out soon if the engine is worth a ****..

Wish me luck!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobroker View Post
One more recommendation.

You may want to swap wheels. I think the star wheels would look better on the newer red car and the Panasports will look better on the older blue car.

And I forgot to recommend checking the suspension for worn parts. If the shocks are stiff or leaking, replace all around. These cars have a nice compliant ride - they don't beat you up. If the shocks go bad, the car rides hard and you won't enjoy your beautiful new Spider!

Iíd love to find something more period correct if lm being honest..

The panasports definitely fill the wheel wells nicely but Iím more of a stock wheel person. Anyways I have plenty of time before I need to even bother with that..

Letís see if this engine is worth anything! For all I know itís been ďrebuiltĒ aka seized .

Thanks for all the insight, it is greatly appreciated!

Car is now in a garage:

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Romagnoli View Post
I'll bite.

I have had Alfas with all kinds of fuel induction systems: Spica, Bosch, and currently have a 2-liter '70 Giulia Super with dell'Ortos and a '79 Spider with Spica. The Super is stock except for the motor and an electric fuel pump; the '79 has been retrofitted with a traditional 2-piece cast iron exhaust manifold and a proper stock Euro exhaust with a Stinger rear.

Though much maligned, the Spica system, properly set up, is a pleasure: trouble-free, flexible, and affords both good fuel economy and power. Little maintenance is required once set up.

While ultimately you should go with whatever you like, I would recommend that you service the Spica and see how the car runs before going through the expense and trouble of putting carbs on your car.

Mario
I very much agree that the Bosch and spica fuel injection systems are probably more reliable than a Weber set up..

But please correct me if Iím wrong...

Will fuel injection ever sound as amazing as carburetors?

I know itíll require minor adjustment on a fairly routine basis but I think I would be enjoying the drive a lot more..

Your input is appreciated!
autobroker likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Boy, that sounds pretty bogus. Now, there may be problems with the distributor (mis-adjusted points, bad condensor, ...) but they seldom need replacing.

Yea, that I can believe. Unfortunately, no one here will have any opinions on the Spica vs. Weber thing

Alfajay

I just looked over some of the work he has done and it looks like my spica fuel pump hasnít been moved in years...
I think he may have stopped as soon as he realized he would need someone like Wes Ingram to rebuild it.

The distributor cover is off and I havenít investigated it further..

Thoughts on going electronic?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Mario

But please correct me if Iím wrong...

Will fuel injection ever sound as amazing as carburetors?

I know itíll require minor adjustment on a fairly routine basis but I think I would be enjoying the drive a lot more..

Your input is appreciated!
I cannot speak to this, because my Spiders have all been fuel injected.

I try to drive the Spider top-down almost exclusively, and I'm not sure how much carburetor music one can hear over the wind noise and exhaust sound when at speed.

When I bought my '69 Spider years ago, the PO had removed the original air cleaner and fitted two "air horns" with foam air filters in order to increase the Spica's induction noise and to give the appearance of a carbureted system. Fortunately for me, he had also had the original air box powder-coated, so I reinstalled it for a more original look.

I can't remember if those fancy air cleaners had the desired auditory effect.

As I said before, you need to suit yourself: I always tend to go for originality and function.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If you have budget to get an electronic distributor then do it. It should be pretty straight forward to see if your current points distributor is in ok shape though, at least to get the engine running again. Are there points, is there a gap, not much play between the rotor shaft and body?

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Romagnoli View Post
I cannot speak to this, because my Spiders have all been fuel injected.

I try to drive the Spider top-down almost exclusively, and I'm not sure how much carburetor music one can hear over the wind noise and exhaust sound when at speed.

When I bought my '69 Spider years ago, the PO had removed the original air cleaner and fitted two "air horns" with foam air filters in order to increase the Spica's induction noise and to give the appearance of a carbureted system. Fortunately for me, he had also had the original air box powder-coated, so I reinstalled it for a more original look.

I can't remember if those fancy air cleaners had the desired auditory effect.

As I said before, you need to suit yourself: I always tend to go for originality and function.

So youíre commenting on spica vs carburetors but have never had carburetors?
Doesnít matter, I appreciate the honesty!

My ďblueĒ spider is as far from originality as physically possible.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemilano View Post
If you have budget to get an electronic distributor then do it. It should be pretty straight forward to see if your current points distributor is in ok shape though, at least to get the engine running again. Are there points, is there a gap, not much play between the rotor shaft and body?

Cheers,

Thanks!

Currently at the dmv, praying to the motoring Gods..

ďB008...B008...Ē 10 minutes later... ďB008... B008..Ē

Wish me luck guys! They rejected my YOM plates based on technicalities, going in just for the title now..

The YOM plates will take a minimum of 2 months, so itíll have to wait. Third time is the charm...
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
So youíre commenting on spica vs carburetors but have never had carburetors?
My '70 Giulia Super has dual side draft dell'Orto carburetors.

I have never had a Spider with carbs, however.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode