Squadra Chip Installation - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfissimo Int.
  • 1 Post By AngloSpider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Squadra Chip Installation

Just received a chip from Alfissimo. Before I install it I'd like to hear any tips about the task and anything to specifically watch out for.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

It's pretty straightforward, just follow the directions.

Ground yourself before touching things, try not to stress the PCB, and be careful prying out the old chip (I gently pried on each side with a little screwdriver and wiggled it out.) Also make sure you install the new chip in the proper orientation.

You will need 93 octane after the upgrade as it makes much of the additional power by advancing the timing map.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Also make sure you install the new chip in the proper orientation.
that is the important bit, as it fits both ways (one right, one wrong) and the instructions I got didn't actually say "which way up" and the photos were fairly poor quality.

you need to feel a solid click to know the chip is inserted correctly.

otherwise it is all very easy, go slow and work cleanly.
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the info guys. The problem I'm having is how the heck do you open the ECU to access the chip? I've looked up some other threads on the subject and mention is made of a couple of tabs that need to be released. I'm not sure where these are and don't find any photos.

Bill

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:35 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

I can't find a photo, but from memory there are four (I think) bent over metal tabs on the side opposite the Bosch sticker. You need to bend these back with a screwdriver and/or pliers to release the cover.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

OK, thanks, I've got it apart and the new chip in place. BB member slow creek found a YouTube link that made it clear.
I'll post that link after my test drive.

Bill

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

All is well. The mystery of how to open the ECU was solved by watching this video;

I had to laugh at the remarks on previous threads about "a couple of tabs you press with a screwdriver and the cover slides off."
Perhaps my 91 Spider has a different ECU from some but I had to straighten TEN metal tabs to open the sucker.

Once open the video covered the procedure nicely. Separating the two halves of the PC board was a little touchy but just go slow and don't pry anything too hard.

Removing the large white terminal plug requires bending back a plated metal tab at the end where the cable fits into the plug. The video does not show this but if I puzzled it out anyone can.

After fitting everything back together the car fired right up. My first test drive immediately impressed as the low and mid-range throttle response was noticeably improved. The engine simply feels and sounds smoother. A frequently climbed steep 3rd gear hill showed no hint of pinging on discount station 91 octane.

So far, so good. This gizmo is doing just what I hoped it would.

My only disappointment is with the totally inadequate instructions. Apparently Squadra Tuning assumes we all know how to open the ECU and access the circuit board.

Bill

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I do apologize. I will make them refine their instructions. Otherwise next time I do a spider I will make my own. Thanks for the help guys! Appreciate it.
Jack Straw likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jason Minos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New: +1 619-209-0715
e-mail:admin at alfissimo.com
San Diego, CA
1989 Spider Quad. Gone
1991 White Alfa Romeo 164S Recaro, Siena, Zender.-GONE
2010 Touareg TDI
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Trofeo, Leather package(red), 19X8, 19X9.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:36 AM
Gold Subscriber

I noticed the exact same improvements when i fitted the chip to mine - much better tractability at lower revs.

Quote:
Also make sure you install the new chip in the proper orientation.
That made me smile as I installed mine the wrong way round, the first time. Guess what, the car didn't fire up straight away! Or fire up at all ... It was one of those heart sink feelings for a while, thinking I had fried the ECU

I retraced my steps, re-oriented the chip, and the car did then start OK.
Alfissimo Int. likes this.

Spider S4 1990 manual red LHD
Spider 916 V6 2002 Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode