California car insurance: what do you guys do!? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

California car insurance: what do you guys do!?

Fellow Alfitsi

I just realized that if something were to happen to my precious 84 spider, Gieco would graciously write me a check for 0.00 dollars.

$500 deductible and my car is worth “street value” according to Gieco which translates to “what would it be worth if we crushed it?”

$500.00!!!!!!!!! = 0.00 after my deductible

From the research I’ve done if you don’t have a garage in California you can not responsibly own and drive a classic car. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong...

Working on finding a garage currently, but things are looking VERY bad right now.

Thank you all in advance for any input regarding SPECIFICALLY California cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremere613 View Post
Fellow Alfitsi

I just realized that if something were to happen to my precious 84 spider, Gieco would graciously write me a check for 0.00 dollars.

$500 deductible and my car is worth “street value” according to Gieco which translates to “what would it be worth if we crushed it?”

$500.00!!!!!!!!! = 0.00 after my deductible

From the research I’ve done if you don’t have a garage in California you can not responsibly own and drive a classic car. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong...

Working on finding a garage currently, but things are looking VERY bad right now.

Thank you all in advance for any input regarding SPECIFICALLY California cars.

Call Hagerty best deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 PM

Not specific to California, but every company that I looked at that provides collector car insurance requires that the car be housed in a locked garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeoblack View Post
Call Hagerty best deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Requires a garage!!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Plain and simple: call another company. Sure, you're not going to qualify for classic/collector insurance but that doesn't mean you can't find someone who will at least correctly value your car. $500? Where the heck do they get that? You car is worth WAY more than that assuming it's drivable and you can't see the road under your feet through the rust holes when you do! You know what $500 is? That's Geico telling you "F you and your old car - we don't want your business".

I know for sure Farmers would look at your cars real value.

Pivoting slightly: I don't know what the insurance laws are like in California but here in Colorado they have to give you fair market value if your car is stolen or totaled. If you have comprehensive insurance they can't just arbitrarily say "nah - we think it's worthless no matter what the book says". NADA and Hagerty both have your car listed around $12k. Now obviously that's high but it certainly shines a bright light on the $500 figure. There are several of similar vintage listed on eBay right now - not one is listed under $5k and most much higher. In Colorado you'd have no trouble at all proving it's worth a LOT more than Geico says.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Gold Subscriber

Almost all of my cars are with Farmers. I just had them quote me on a 95 164 ls, $80 for 6 months, as a collector. Just liability, as the car has little to no value and they'd total it immediately if it got scratched.

I also have both a 74 GTV (agreed value at $25K) and an 84 GTV6 (agreed value at $15k) on collector insurance. I think I'm a bit over $120 for 6 months on each of those cars.

Now, I've used the same agent for going on 43 years, so my rates are very, very low. YMMV

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Almost all of my cars are with Farmers. I just had them quote me on a 95 164 ls, $80 for 6 months, as a collector.
I have a similar deal with State Farm. Insurers like Farmers and State Farm offer collector car insurance that allows you to state the vehicle's value; they limit your annual mileage to something like 5,000. I don't recall whether a garage is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeoblack
Call Hagerty best deal.
I researched Hagerty, but found State Farm's rates to be lower when comparing stated value apples-apples.
horsewidower and Susan like this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-07-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Almost all of my cars are with Farmers. I just had them quote me on a 95 164 ls, $80 for 6 months, as a collector. Just liability, as the car has little to no value and they'd total it immediately if it got scratched.

I also have both a 74 GTV (agreed value at $25K) and an 84 GTV6 (agreed value at $15k) on collector insurance. I think I'm a bit over $120 for 6 months on each of those cars.

Now, I've used the same agent for going on 43 years, so my rates are very, very low. YMMV

Bob
They steered you to JC Taylor for the actual carrier, right? My Farmer's agent (whom I've only been with for 34 years!) told me Farmer's doesn't actually do collector insurance but that JC Taylor is related somehow. It's great - my car is worth more dead than alive ($20K agreed) and I only pay about $140 every 6 months. Considerably cheaper than Hagerty - though I wouldn't consider my current policy a bad deal even if it was twice as expensive. I've got no mileage cap but have to use the car only for car events - shows and meets and such. There is a clause around "exercising" the car though which is the loophole. But it does specifically say not to drive it to work. But I could drive it all over the continent to car shows if I wanted to.

None of this does the OP any good without a garage though. But at least if he went with regular Farmer's or State Farm insurance the car would be worth....maybe $6k or so probably? Rather than Geico's $500!

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 06-07-2019 at 10:08 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

Why wouldn't anyone use Hagerty? Absolutely the best deal around, and great service!
And why would you own a classic car without a garage? If it's "precious," it needs to be garaged.

Edit: I stand corrected! I wasn't aware that State Farm had a similar deal. I hope it's a good alternative. I will say about 10 years ago my 17 year-old son had an accident with his '84 that was his fault. Hagerty paid in full, and never raised our rates!
Susan likes this.

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce

Last edited by lawrencedesigns; 06-07-2019 at 10:03 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencedesigns View Post
Why wouldn't anyone use Hagerty? Absolutely the best deal around, and great service!
Read the previous three posts. Not that Hagerty isn't a great option, just that there are cheaper alternatives and they won't insure the OP's car anyway.

Quote:
And why would you own a classic car without a garage? Not critical here, just doesn't make sense....
I would guess because 1) he likes his classic car and 2) he lives in a very expensive city.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Edit: I stand corrected! I wasn't aware that State Farm had a similar deal. I hope it's a good alternative. I will say about 10 years ago my 17 year-old son had an accident with his '84 that was his fault. Hagerty paid in full, and never raised our rates!
Now that's pretty good - JC Taylor specifically said "no teenagers!" and in fact wouldn't have issued the policy in the first place had I had licensed teen drivers in the house when I first applied. I have two now, but I disclosed my kids' ages when I applied and they haven't asked again....

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:44 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremere613 View Post
Requires a garage!!!
That used to be the case, but apparently it's no longer required depending on where you are and what you're insuring. Try contacting them.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:16 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Why wouldn't anyone use Hagerty?
I would love to be proven wrong about State Farm versus Hagerty.

I tried Hagerty's on-line quote tool, entering the year/make/models of my collector cars and the same stated value as on my State Farm policy. That yielded higher premiums for Hagerty. I even called Hagerty to ask if I was doing anything wrong, and they said "no".

Perhaps the comparison would come out in Hagerty's favor for people living in other parts of the country or with different year/make/model cars.
horsewidower likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:41 PM

Ive used Grundy on all my classics....forever...very similar to Hagerty...

but does require a garage storage , here in Texas anyway...but of course , when travelling its not garaged....
but they do state "not to and from work"...But ive driven it to my office, as Im retired and don't work "office hours" = traffic.... no driver under 25....they ask for miles driven , I always said 4 k...on all my cars, never had a problem.... I suspect the garage is for hail etc, as its stated value and for everything....

had a friend who used same co put down something on his fender that destroyed the paint....they paid for it " owners stupidity" is covered

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn S View Post
Ive used Grundy on all my classics....forever...very similar to Hagerty...
I also use Grundy. I found it to be much less expensive than Hagerty.

Doug

Doug
1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode