California car insurance: what do you guys do!? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
That used to be the case, but apparently it's no longer required depending on where you are and what you're insuring. Try contacting them.

I think you are mistaken, but I’ll call again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Grundy here but living in NJ.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 PM

I use Hagerty and they never mentioned anything about having the car in a locked garage, but I would probably not leave an expensive car on the street or under a car port. I also have two Milano cars and they do not have any comprehensive insurance because the value is low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremere613 View Post
I think you are mistaken, but I’ll call again.
From their website:
Attached Images

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:46 PM

Garage
Hagerty!

I am a devout AAA member. When my wife surprised me with my Spider I insured it with AAA at $675 a year liability only. I got a quote with Hagerty full comprehensive agreed upon value coverage with the same other coverages as AAA for $245 a year. True Apple to apples comparison with added comprehensive coverage AAA could not match. You owe it to yourself to get a true comparative quote.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 PM

Here in CA I have my 86 Spider Insured with Hagerty for a stated value of $13,000 and premiums of just few bucks more than $200 a year. Has to be garaged and used strictly for pleasure. My primary car was out of commission and I asked them if it would be okay for me to drive the Alfa to work those two weeks. No dice! They explicitly stated not cover it damaged or stolen in relation to my job.

This was a few years ago, but I bet it's still the same.

Hope this help.

Randall
86 Spider (Slick)
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:23 PM

Call Hagerty. I have travelers and for my two Toyota’s and my house they are very competitive, however for my 71 spider the monthly premium was slightly less than what I pay Hagerty per year for better coverage.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Here are some facts that many people don't realize when they get insurance. Some were already mentioned above.

(1) Not all coverage is what you think it is. The OP mentioned how they value the car at $500. That's based on the language in the insurance contract. Many people get "stated value." Top level historic car insurance is "agreed value." You want agreed value. That means you agree your car is worth $X, and if there is a claim, that's what they pay you (subject to deductibles and some charges). But "stated value" just means you said your car is worth $X, they did not agree to it, but they are going to charge you for insurance as if that is the value of the car. But the policy usually has language that says even though you stated the value, the value is still the same equation that basic coverage has - i.e., the $500 mentioned above.

(2) Many of the policies say you have ZERO coverage for someone driving under 25. I share my hobby with my kids. That means I can't have them drive or drive with no coverage. That's a no go for me. Life's too short.

(3) Some of the policies require you to have a new car that is newer than 15 years old. At one point, my newest car was my 2000 Boxster S. Great car. But I couldn't get classic insurance from some of the carriers at the time.

(4) As indicated, many of the policies do not cover driving to work. My friend with an XK140 drives his car to work and says if anything happens, he'll just tell the insurance company he was going to his mechanics'. Personally, I do not want to rely on fraud for my coverage.

(5) One of the classic policy companies told me they would not cover me if I used it to go to the hardware store. Well, on weekends, when I go on a joy ride, there's a pretty good chance I might need to stop at a hardware store to deal with my Honey Dos once I get back from disappearing.

So on some of my cars, I know I'm underinsured. But I'd rather be underinsured than not insured - and I take super care to self insure based on where I drive, where I park, and keeping my eye on my car.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
Here are some facts that many people don't realize when they get insurance. Some were already mentioned above.

(1) Not all coverage is what you think it is. The OP mentioned how they value the car at $500. That's based on the language in the insurance contract. Many people get "stated value." Top level historic car insurance is "agreed value." You want agreed value. That means you agree your car is worth $X, and if there is a claim, that's what they pay you (subject to deductibles and some charges). But "stated value" just means you said your car is worth $X, they did not agree to it, but they are going to charge you for insurance as if that is the value of the car. But the policy usually has language that says even though you stated the value, the value is still the same equation that basic coverage has - i.e., the $500 mentioned above.

(2) Many of the policies say you have ZERO coverage for someone driving under 25. I share my hobby with my kids. That means I can't have them drive or drive with no coverage. That's a no go for me. Life's too short.

(3) Some of the policies require you to have a new car that is newer than 15 years old. At one point, my newest car was my 2000 Boxster S. Great car. But I couldn't get classic insurance from some of the carriers at the time.

(4) As indicated, many of the policies do not cover driving to work. My friend with an XK140 drives his car to work and says if anything happens, he'll just tell the insurance company he was going to his mechanics'. Personally, I do not want to rely on fraud for my coverage.

(5) One of the classic policy companies told me they would not cover me if I used it to go to the hardware store. Well, on weekends, when I go on a joy ride, there's a pretty good chance I might need to stop at a hardware store to deal with my Honey Dos once I get back from disappearing.

So on some of my cars, I know I'm underinsured. But I'd rather be underinsured than not insured - and I take super care to self insure based on where I drive, where I park, and keeping my eye on my car.

Thank you for all that info! Definitely provided some clarity.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
I take super care to self insure based on where I drive, where I park, and keeping my eye on my car.
How do you self-insure against the hazard of texting morons?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #26 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Garage
When I call Hagerty to plan my coverage. I told them I want to drive me Alfa to work on Fridays. They no issue. Thank guess I need to double check my policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode