Restoring 1979 Wood Personal Steering Wheel - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By evilmnky45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Restoring 1979 Wood Personal Steering Wheel

Hey guys-

Worked on a steering wheel that i bought from someone on here back in the winter. Finished up a few months ago and just wrote up my process. Figured in case someone wants to do this in the future they can do some of this or not do it, because I messed up a few times for sure. Guide is below- let me know if you have any questions!

https://imgur.com/a/PzODueu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 PM

Garage
Hey, I want my old steering wheel back! Just kidding, it looks great. Now I see why they charge so much to restore a wooden steering wheel.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmnky45 View Post
Hey guys-

Worked on a steering wheel that i bought from someone on here back in the winter. Finished up a few months ago and just wrote up my process. Figured in case someone wants to do this in the future they can do some of this or not do it, because I messed up a few times for sure. Guide is below- let me know if you have any questions!

https://imgur.com/a/PzODueu

Look like a fun project. Look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM

Looks very good, worth all the effort. Did you seal the spokes with anything after polishing?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermale View Post
Looks very good, worth all the effort. Did you seal the spokes with anything after polishing?
Thanks- definitely worth the effort.

I did not- any recommendations?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
I have wanted to have a go at the spokes on my Personal wheel, as I don't like the dull finish...I might have worked up the courage to attempt it now ! Nice work.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garwood1 View Post
I have wanted to have a go at the spokes on my Personal wheel, as I don't like the dull finish...I might have worked up the courage to attempt it now ! Nice work.
Yeah It takes a while. If you take off the back place, you can get to everything WAY easier. I did it by hand, but if you do it with an electric one I would assume its good. wet sanding is the way to go over just straight polishing imo. Just make sure to go through all of the progressions sandpaper and end with the 00 grit steel wool, then polish. Buy a lot of sandpaper because they get destroyed pretty quick. Good luck!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:13 AM

How many hours do you think you have into it? I really like the Momo Alpina wheel that came on my car, but it was yellowed/cracked and I am planning to refinish it. Bought a new wood wheel in the meantime so I could redo the Momo at my pace, but have to say I'm pretty happy with this one and not sure I will follow through.
Attached Images

1978 Alfetta Sport Sedan | 1985 GTV Lemons Racer
Instagram: Alfaddiction
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:23 AM

I'm planning on polishing my wheel soon too. can the horn button piece not be removed from the main part of the wheel?! It looks like there is circular spring clip and maybe a couple of button head bolts accessible from the back, is that right?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
How many hours do you think you have into it? I really like the Momo Alpina wheel that came on my car, but it was yellowed/cracked and I am planning to refinish it. Bought a new wood wheel in the meantime so I could redo the Momo at my pace, but have to say I'm pretty happy with this one and not sure I will follow through.
Hard to say- my guess is 20-30 hours over the course of 2 months or so. That doesn't include dry time, just what I worked with it.

Can't see the pic, account is screwed up, but wood is the way to go!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by architeuthis View Post
I'm planning on polishing my wheel soon too. can the horn button piece not be removed from the main part of the wheel?! It looks like there is circular spring clip and maybe a couple of button head bolts accessible from the back, is that right?
There is a metal plate that has a clip that goes around it. You have to get the metal circular clip out then the metal plate, a copper plate with the wire on it and the horn buttons come off.
Attached Images

architeuthis likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode