Abarth exhaust review! (Yes, on an Alfa!) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Abarth exhaust review! (Yes, on an Alfa!)

Ok!

The Abarth exhaust finally arrived from the Netherlands! It took about a month and only time will tell if it was indeed worth the wait.

So let’s start with... what the hell is “Abarth exhausts”? I thought Abarth was the performance division for Fiat? And yes indeed it is the performance division for Fiat named after a famous Austrian race car driver.

That being said it was also the name of a since dead company call “Abarth exhausts”, New Old Stock has since been purchased by a company in the Netherlands called Abarth-Exhausts.com (more on that later). The specific exhaust I ordered was made specifically for 105 Alfa Romeos but they had a few options back in the day for many different cars. What got me excited about ordering anything Abarth related is the special sound most Fiat Abarth make and the fact that the previous owner of my 84’ Alfa Romeo Spider put “Abarth” stickers all over the car. So I said to myself..

“This makes no sense, why are there Fiat badges all over my Alfa but.... you know what! To hell with it! We’re making my Alfa a special edition Abarth variant!”

....Stay tuned! More coming after the install!
davbert likes this.

Last edited by tremere613; 06-05-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Side note:
They could have packaged the muffler a little better but somehow it arrived somewhat unscathed. Small nicks here and there, I’ll examine it a little later tomorrow. Even the chrome tip has some nicks unfortunately, but if it sounds great I’ll be very much ignoring all of that..
davbert likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:28 AM

very interested in this

...as I had considered the exact same one. The guy who sells them implied that there wasn't much difference between the unit with the back box you've got a and a straight pipe, which made me think a straight rear pipe would be at lot cheaper, however I found that a little odd so maybe it was a language thing. Please keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:22 AM

I bought a front section for my GTV from this guy
last year. It's paired up with a Magnaflow center muffler and Centerline stinger.
Sounds fantastic with a nice snarl when you put your foot in it!
He has a lot of NOS Abarth stuff for other cars too.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
Past '78 Alfetta w/ TwinSpark
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Garage
Nice exhaust and congrats to the purchase... a nice period correct hot rodding thingy!!! Quite Jealous in fact....

Just as a little side note.... Carlo Abarth was not Italian he was Austrian (From Vienna in fact) who emigrated to Italy and changed his Patronym from Karl Albert Abarth... to a more italianized version of Carlo Abarth... The scorpion as his company logo shows was his astrological sign BTW... he was a strong character and reallly cool petrolhead in his days....

tell us more about of yourr expertience once you've fitted the exhaust and show us some sexy pics please

Thomas

Thomas Linser
(Jan 1967 1300 GT Junior, in bluette w/oxblood skai inetrior)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:31 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Oh that's really cool. Stickers and everything! What year is that magazine ad you show? I know Abarth was independent and a general speed-shop - and small maker of sports cars - in the 60s. I think they got bought out by Fiat sometime in the 70s.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 AM

I remember ABARTH well...had it on my 63 Mini Cooper....back in those days and in Europe...most performance cars added Abarth exhausts

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toli0815 View Post
Nice exhaust and congrats to the purchase... a nice period correct hot rodding thingy!!! Quite Jealous in fact....

Just as a little side note.... Carlo Abarth was not Italian he was Austrian (From Vienna in fact) who emigrated to Italy and changed his Patronym from Karl Albert Abarth... to a more italianized version of Carlo Abarth... The scorpion as his company logo shows was his astrological sign BTW... he was a strong character and reallly cool petrolhead in his days....

tell us more about of yourr expertience once you've fitted the exhaust and show us some sexy pics please

Thomas

Corrected from Italian to Austrian, thanks!!

I’ll report back soon.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 PM

Had one on my TR4 when I was in college. As I recall, it was much better made and used heaver materials that than most replacement exhaust systems. Al Cosintino was for several decades the self-proclaimed Abarth go-to guy here in the States and reportedly had a large collection of Abarth exhausts, Campy wheels, etc. On his death his stuff was reportedly sold to Australia. I'm wondering if these Abarth exhausts are a part of that stash? Al was quite a guy, although he always seemed to be a few degrees off balance . . .

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:42 PM

I find it somewhat hard to believe that this outfit is selling NOS Abarth exhausts for 105s for just 325 Euro. Vintage Abarth accessories are somewhat akin to the Holy Grail. Thoughts?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM

Proudly displayed on my GTV.
Attached Images

davbert likes this.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
Past '78 Alfetta w/ TwinSpark
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978alfa View Post
Proudly displayed on my GTV.

I love that picture! Thank you for sharing.
1978alfa likes this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Abarth exhaust review! (Yes, on an Alfa!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfa View Post
I find it somewhat hard to believe that this outfit is selling NOS Abarth exhausts for 105s for just 325 Euro. Vintage Abarth accessories are somewhat akin to the Holy Grail. Thoughts?

My assumption is the company ran out of business and had no choice but to sell their entire stock at once for a very very very cheap price.

I don’t think any new customers have heard of them since, as I think it’s a one man operation with no budget for advertising. Who knows, maybe my forum post will get some sold?

Once the current stock is gone though, it’s truly all gone...

Last edited by tremere613; 06-06-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Oh that's really cool. Stickers and everything! What year is that magazine ad you show? I know Abarth was independent and a general speed-shop - and small maker of sports cars - in the 60s. I think they got bought out by Fiat sometime in the 70s.

Here’s a better image:

“Early 1970’s”
davbert likes this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
I know Abarth was independent and a general speed-shop - and small maker of sports cars - in the 60s...
and one whose lightweight, beautifully engineered cars would run rings around the big boys back in the 60's, including Porsche and Alfa!

as an example a 1300 Abarth simca, was dry sumped, 125 bhp, red line 7200, weighed in at less that 1400lbs, and did 142 mph.
the 2.0 litre version used the biggest webers ever produced, 58 DCOE 3, put out 204 bhp at 7,200 and topped 160 mph!

so Carlo Abarth wasn't just a guy who made fancy exhausts and bolt on bits. He was one of the finest engineers of his day, his cars were simply the ones to beat back in the days.

So your exhaust has a great pedigree, to say the least.

And why the Scorpion?
well, there is one big sting in that little tail
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode