Abarth exhaust review! (Yes, on an Alfa!) - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:24 PM

Back in 1980 I replaced the exhaust on my '73 with an Ansa system that had those upswept twin tips that are shown in the pictures above. i loved the look of the twin tips but soon discovered the why Alfa OEM exhausts had the downturned tip. The Ansa dirtied the back tail panel with exhaust soot. I also got gas smells into the trunk. Eventually I got tired of having a dirty "tail" and went back to the OEM downturned tip.
1978alfa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73AlfaOEMOwner View Post
Back in 1980 I replaced the exhaust on my '73 with an Ansa system that had those upswept twin tips that are shown in the pictures above. i loved the look of the twin tips but soon discovered the why Alfa OEM exhausts had the downturned tip. The Ansa dirtied the back tail panel with exhaust soot. I also got gas smells into the trunk. Eventually I got tired of having a dirty "tail" and went back to the OEM downturned tip.
My Spider came with an upswept twin tip Ansa. Loved the sound. However, prior to my ownership water had accumulated at the bottom of its curved pipes and they had become perforated. Arrgh. Spider now carries standard OEM muffler with downturned tip. Very quiet. (And, yes, I miss the Ansa sound.)

1974 Spider
Work gets in the way of my hobbies. Nothing takes just 5 minutes.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
and one whose lightweight, beautifully engineered cars would run rings around the big boys back in the 60's, including Porsche and Alfa!

as an example a 1300 Abarth simca, was dry sumped, 125 bhp, red line 7200, weighed in at less that 1400lbs, and did 142 mph.
the 2.0 litre version used the biggest webers ever produced, 58 DCOE 3, put out 204 bhp at 7,200 and topped 160 mph!

so Carlo Abarth wasn't just a guy who made fancy exhausts and bolt on bits. He was one of the finest engineers of his day, his cars were simply the ones to beat back in the days.

So your exhaust has a great pedigree, to say the least.

And why the Scorpion?
well, there is one big sting in that little tail
I just returned from a road trip to Italy with the AROC of UK, we visited the Vernasca Silver flag Hill climb, your right! Those little Abarths are fliers!! The you tube video is not mine, there were some great cars there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Mp3Hobpzwzs

We also got to drive to the top of the Fiat Ligotto building and visit the FCA test ground at Baloco and drove the test circuit.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.

Last edited by Top Down; 07-11-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73AlfaOEMOwner View Post

Fortunately this particular exhaust tip layout doesnít seem to be an issue.. donít smell anything and havenít noticed any dirt.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 AM

I had a Monza rear section with upturned tips on my duetto.
The back of the car got black because the Webers were running too rich.
The PO's mechanic had made a hash of things.
Once they were sorted, it hasn't been an issue.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
Past '78 Alfetta w/ TwinSpark

Last edited by 1978alfa; 07-13-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode