Abarth exhaust review! (Yes, on an Alfa!) - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 AM

I love the megaphone exhaust in that picture above!
Bayless Racing, a FIAT racing supplier, used to sell those and other Abarth parts.
I had an Abarth rear section on my FIAT Brava, my first Italian.
I miss that car even though it left me stranded more than once.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
Past '78 Alfetta w/ TwinSpark

Last edited by 1978alfa; 06-07-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:34 AM

I have an ABARTH on my spyder, (86) got it ,many years ago. Also had ABARTH on my MGA, and Healy ( I think). I always replaced exhaust when I bought the cars..also some other things, like replaced the steel wheels on my spyder for Chromodoro Turbinos...much lighter, so better handling... just my 2 cents

Don "BOO" Epstein
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobea View Post
I have an ABARTH on my spyder, (86) got it ,many years ago. Also had ABARTH on my MGA, and Healy ( I think). I always replaced exhaust when I bought the cars..also some other things, like replaced the steel wheels on my spyder for Chromodoro Turbinos...much lighter, so better handling... just my 2 cents

Do you Iike the sound of your Abarth exhaust on your spider? What is it like? Thanks for commenting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978alfa View Post
I love the megaphone exhaust in that picture above!
Bayless Racing, a FIAT racing supplier, used to sell those and other Abarth parts.
I had an Abarth rear section on my FIAT Brava, my first Italian.
I miss that car event though it left me stranded more than once.
Yep, I remember the ads and the Bayless catalog. I had early 124 spiders.
1978alfa likes this.

1967 1600 Spider
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

And the review is in!

Underwhelming and very quiet.

Donít get me wrong it looks beautiful, but I still have a LARGE Borla center section muffler and the original CAT..

So that definitely plays into it..

If I have the time this week ill get the middle section either removed completely or maybe a smaller section put in? Currently it is extremely muffled.

Letís hear from you guys!

Have some kind of middle section or none at all?

Glass pack? Iím taking votes!
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:27 PM

Three mufflers is too many.
Two is just right in my opinion.
My experience is that a rear muffler seems to kill too much of the sound.
Stock cast iron headers, a resonator in the front, then a straight-though performance muffler in the center and a stinger in the back.
On my car, this works great.
It is easy to live with day to day, not too loud, doesn't drone inside the car and has a nice sound as the tach hits 2,000 RPM.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Before I forget..

All of the beautiful Abarth logos melted right off the exhaust after driving for one hour .

Including the nice one on the tip!
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:08 PM

That sucks.
Write to the dealer.
He probably has lots of them.
I have ANSA, Weber, ATE and a few other Italian car part stickers on my tool box.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

And finally to sum up my experience with abarth-exhausts.com

I do not recommend purchasing anything from Ad, I wrote to him both about the shipment being delayed and about quality issues (the metal Abarth emblem burnt off the tip of the exhaust on day 1) and received NO response. It has been over a week and he still hasnít responded. Iím sure he has a busy schedule and may or may not be a one man operation but it is still no way to conduct a business. Iíd gladly forward my email correspondence to anyone who is interested, he has completely disappeared on me.

The exhaust itself needed to be cut and welded to fit on my 84í spider even though Ad promised figment for my specific car in writing.

The exhaust definitely sounds Italian but quite loud and droney without a center muffler and VERY quiet with a large center muffler. I recommending using a small center muffler but havenít done so just yet.

If anyone has any questions about my experience please feel free to contact me!

Maybe Ad will even reply to this thread one day and apologize..

Not a good experiment, do not bother.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If the Abarth is like the old Ansa. In about 500 to 700 miles all the material inside the muffler will dissipate out and the muffler will become hollow inside. Thats when the sound becomes what you think it should be.
1978alfa likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Abarth exhaust review! (Yes, on an Alfa!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
If the Abarth is like the old Ansa. In about 500 to 700 miles all the material inside the muffler will dissipate out and the muffler will become hollow inside. Thats when the sound becomes what you think it should be.

Only time will tell.

If is going to get louder like most exhausts do, Iíll definitely need a center muffler. Itís unbelievably loud now.

Last edited by tremere613; 06-17-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:27 AM

You'll need to experiment to get the sound that you're looking for.
I went through three or four iterations with my exhaust system before I got the sound right.
"That's too loud!" "That's too quiet!" "Ahhh, that's perfect!"
Goldilocks exhaust system.
Stock center mufflers seemed to kill too much sound.
I ended up with the Magnaflow straight through muffler with a stinger.
You might try a cherry bomb muffler and see if that takes the edge off the sound.
Keep us posted.
John533i likes this.

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:31 AM

'67 Duetto, '74 GTV

Last edited by 1978alfa; 06-18-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
i had a abarth exhuast on my 308 gts and a factory ansa on my euro spec 308 gt4 . i always suspected the factory ansas may be built better than the aftermarket ones with but i have never confirm that.

the aftermarket period abarths along with the CSCs are much better than the ansa. Al Consentino of faza used to import abarth, devil, CSC and even his own "daytona" branded exhaust named after were his business used to be located. he had very close relationships to the cottage vendors in italy to have bespoke items built for him specifically. he told me he stop selling the ansa since they would rust through immediately and wouldnt warranty them like the others.

fast forward 40-50yrs ive heard CSC arent so great anymore and ansa maybe have improved. i certainly hope so given the EXORBITANT prices they are now asking for ansa's. they can command high prices since they were oem on the ferraris, maseratis and lambos. the CSC are manufactured differently now and are owned by a conglomerate i recall. in my limited experience with the vintage stuff the CSC were much better than ansa especially in the wet PNW climate.

though his core business was fiat-abarth, surprisingly Al had a soft spot for camero's and alfa's since he raced them at daytona. few of the old school shops used to be alfa vs fiat much like the ford vs chevy thing here, many wouldnt service one or the other. surprisingly he mention to me how fond he was of the 105 gtv's and what a great car it was since he ran a genuine factory gtam for a period.

the original "Weird Al" here:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-abarth-tuner/

I sure do miss that wacko!
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
i had a abarth exhuast on my 308 gts and a factory ansa on my euro spec 308 gt4 . i always suspected the factory ansas may be built better than the aftermarket ones with but i have never confirm that.

the aftermarket period abarths along with the CSCs are much better than the ansa. Al Consentino of faza used to import abarth, devil, CSC and even his own "daytona" branded exhaust named after were his business used to be located. he had very close relationships to the cottage vendors in italy to have bespoke items built for him specifically. he told me he stop selling the ansa since they would rust through immediately and wouldnt warranty them like the others.

fast forward 40-50yrs ive heard CSC arent so great anymore and ansa maybe have improved. i certainly hope so given the EXORBITANT prices they are now asking for ansa's. they can command high prices since they were oem on the ferraris, maseratis and lambos. the CSC are manufactured differently now and are owned by a conglomerate i recall. in my limited experience with the vintage stuff the CSC were much better than ansa especially in the wet PNW climate.

though his core business was fiat-abarth, surprisingly Al had a soft spot for camero's and alfa's since he raced them at daytona. few of the old school shops used to be alfa vs fiat much like the ford vs chevy thing here, many wouldnt service one or the other. surprisingly he mention to me how fond he was of the 105 gtv's and what a great car it was since he ran a genuine factory gtam for a period.

the original "Weird Al" here:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-abarth-tuner/

I sure do miss that wacko!

Looks like mine might be authentic according to the article:

Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode