Car running hot — is it the Evans coolant? - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Garage
Thanks Pete. I quit responding to this thread when I brought up some simple issues that needed to be addressed before looking for some abstract reason. I still believe it is the fan, which I suggested he confirm before going further but he is "sure" it isn't the fan. Those electric fans can be set up to push or pull, requiring flipping the fan and reversing the wiring to spin the opposite direction. Very simple to establish whether the airflow is in the proper direction. Quit searching for some fragmented possibilities and go back to basics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Good luck. I'm out. There is absolutely no logic in your problem solving, just a ton of random ideas. That is not how you find causes and then resolutions.

You have to follow a path until it is 100% confirmed the wrong or right path ... you still have not confirmed if it is the change from mechanical to the electric fan that is the cause.

Again, good luck. Hope you accidentally find a fix.
Pete
I think if you look past the fact that I haven’t followed your specific recommendation, I am following a logical process of problem solving.

Blaming the fan seems to me like the least likely explanation, since the problem persists at 70 mph and, 1970s Aston Martins notwithstanding, I can’t see how a 70 mph breeze can fail to match the cooling power of the prior mechanical fan with shroud.

And since I don’t have a mechanical fan or shroud to try anyway, I am, for now, ruling out the other possibilities because they are comparatively easier and cheaper. Confirming mixture settings and thermostat type doesn’t seem random to me, since both of these variables were changed at the same time as the fan.

Whatever. I am grateful for the advice you provided, and may yet follow it.

1976 Spider
post #78 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

DHLA40H (emissions model)
Corrector 180
Emulsion 7772.12
Main 132
Idle 58

Anything there that would cause high temperatures with a 2L?

1976 Spider

Last edited by Canadian Spider; 06-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Have you looked at the spark plugs? Check the color on them, it's easy. I might be wrong, but 132 main seems bit too small for 2L.

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #80 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Sorry, I thought you still had all the mechanical fan bits. Hard to test reinstalling them without them ... lol

Best
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Last edited by PSk; 06-11-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #81 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakagtv View Post
Have you looked at the spark plugs? Check the color on them, it's easy. I might be wrong, but 132 main seems bit too small for 2L.
The spark plugs looked ok to me, but I'll post a pic shortly to hear your opinion.

From what I have read, 132 is indeed too small, but could that be the cause of hot running or is it just a red herring? The temp problem exists at idle as well as at speed -- does that rule out the main jets as a possible cause of the higher temperatures I'm seeing?

@pete, no worries. I'm contemplating ordering a new shroud and mechanical fan to try your suggestion. The cost is the trouble. I'm in Canada, which means I pay through the nose for shipping. If I'm gonna pay for shipping, it feels like I may as well get a new rad, too. Mine is clearly old and, even if it's okay, it can't last forever. So following your suggestion becomes a $400 proposition. That's why I hesitate. But I may yet do just that.

Maybe I can get my hands on some carb jets locally and give that a quick try.

Or throw my hands up and bring the car to a pro. That's an option too.

I'm very grateful for all your assistance everyone. Thanks for your patience. For those who may be wondering, yes, the friggin fan is turning the right way. I'm uninformed but not stupid.

1976 Spider
post #82 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Have you tried Selective Auto Parts in North York? Might be able to get what you need and avoid shipping costs.

Cheers,
Canadian Spider likes this.

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #83 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemilano View Post
Have you tried Selective Auto Parts in North York? Might be able to get what you need and avoid shipping costs.

Cheers,
Thank you! I will try.

Here are the plugs. They have 500 miles on them.
Attached Images

1976 Spider
post #84 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

The other sides of the plugs
Attached Images

1976 Spider
post #85 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
looks lean to me..

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #86 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM

A lean mixture won't cause coolant temperatures to rise as the OP has posted. The t-stat should keep the coolant at the rated temperature unless the cooling system is marginal and has no further capacity.
However, the spark plugs are not showing lean in my opinion.

Last edited by Chas H; 06-12-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #87 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Spider View Post
DHLA40H (emissions model)
Corrector 180
Emulsion 7772.12
Main 132
Idle 58

Anything there that would cause high temperatures with a 2L?
Nakgtv noted the "smallish" 132 main jets and I tried to find more information regarding the 7772.12 emulsion tubes, all in the context of the emissions carburetors, but nothing conclusive was discovered.
I agree with Tom and Chas, from left to right, the first two plugs look a little lean. They reflect mixture strength right before shutdown. If the carbs spit-back at idle and idle mixture is what the plugs reflect, then the plugs look as expected. This is likely not a jetting issue but getting the carburetors synchronized and the idle mixture/volume screws set correctly.

The short answer to your question is no or unlikely. If this configuration worked fine before the head swap, it should be ok now.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
post #88 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:40 AM

I edited my post- I don't believe the plugs look lean. It's difficult to actually offer an assessment because a clean cut wasn't made-there are signs of idling. But as I posted before, I doubt the mixture is the problem with coolant temperature.
post #89 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:20 PM

yikes
post #90 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:25 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Heck don't waste $400 on the mechanical fan setup. My comments were all about undoing changes, to diagnose cause, not to make further changes.

Good luck. I do hope its not just because the cooling system needs burping.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in