Car running hot is it the Evans coolant? - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:28 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Ranz,

Good point re location of temperature sensor for the electric fan.

I would still like to see the mechanical fan setup fully returned as if things go back to normal, "we" know where to concentrate. If there is no change, then yep lets look at the thermostat and go from there. "We" haven't completed the fan testing yet.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:21 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Fan temperature sensor should always be on the outlet side of radiator. You want it to kick on when there is insufficient air flow across the radiator to drop the coolant temperature. When that happens the outlet temperature will rise and the fan will turn on.

If you stick it on the hot side of the radiator it'll run at inappropriate times, like when you're at cruise and there's already plenty of airflow over the radiator without the electric fan.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #48 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:55 AM

On an S4 the temperature switch for the fan is also located at the bottom. Cheers!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AGS2-W09 met Tapatalk

Current: Spider S4 1990, 159 JTDm. Previous: Sud, GTV6, Fiat Uno Turbo, Giulia, Giulietta, 33, Lancia Delta 1.6 (2) , Lancia Delta 1.8, 147 JTD (3), 156 JTD (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:15 AM

Gubi, Pimster,
Get that, makes perfect sense, but would you run a 195 degree triggered sender in that location, or a 165 degree sender?
Do aftermarket fan manufacturers specify a preferred sender location and sender trigger temperatures?
I reckon they would, but I haven’t bought one, so don’t know...but putting a sender unit designed to detect water temps ex engine (up near thermostat) versus ex radiator (bottom hose, or nearby) could be a 30-degrees-ish mistake, no?
What are the Alfetta electric fan sensors rated at? Their sensors are at the bottom of the radiator. I’ve got a dollar which says it’s not 195 degrees.
post #50 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:28 AM

re: posts 31/37/40

At speed the fan doesn't make much difference but the SHROUD definetly would.

So just fabricate a makeshift shroud and try to integrate the electric fan or

remove the electric fan, install original shroud and test it on the road. You can or cannot install the original (even 2-finned) fan.
post #51 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 AM

I just think the cooling capacity of the radiator, in combination with the thermostat of earlier Spiders is "adjusted" to constant ventilation in accordance with rpm. Electrical vent kicks in when nescessary and could therefore in general require a higher cooling capacity from the radiator imho. I realise this is also dependent of the efficiency the and power and the electric fan, but a shroud to use all the capacity of the radiator is nescessary I think.

Btw in my S4, the water/cooling fluid temperature fluctuates between 80 and 90 degrees centigrade independent from outside temperature or rpm/speed (dashboard reading). I think this is completely acceptabe and has never caused a problem ( 163.000 km)

Current: Spider S4 1990, 159 JTDm. Previous: Sud, GTV6, Fiat Uno Turbo, Giulia, Giulietta, 33, Lancia Delta 1.6 (2) , Lancia Delta 1.8, 147 JTD (3), 156 JTD (2)
post #52 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 AM

fwiw, the sender on the S4 is actually above the lower rad hose outlet, and kicks in at 85C/185F
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #53 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 AM

And has no shroud .
At least the thermoswitch is very close to the "exit". The dark side under the bonnet

post #54 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
He's testing returning the mechanical fan setup ... Let's be patient.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #55 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

You guys are great. Thanks for sticking with me.

The thermoswitch in the bottom hose came from Alfaholics, installed in an Alfaholics inline adapter, and I’ve double checked with them to be sure it’s installed properly, so I’m ruling out either the temperature rating of the switch or its location as possible culprits.

The fan is from Centerline, and seems to be a quality item with scimitar blades and sturdy frame.

I honestly cannot fathom how airflow to/through the rad could be to blame at 70 mph, but I will do as you suggest and try replacing the shroud. A test drive will have to wait until the rain stops.

Dom’s photo above suggests the shroud is important only when combined with the mechanical fan, which is what my intuition tells me, but I certainly won’t rely on that!

1976 Spider

Last edited by Canadian Spider; 06-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #56 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Thermostat

Do you have the correct thermostat in the housing that closes off the lower smaller diameter hose to the water pump when it opens to let water into the radiator?

As well that hose should have an aluminum restrictor in it with a 8mm hole to reduce volume of hot water back into the engine.

If you have a typical aftermarket thermostat then you need to get the correct one.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #57 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Do you have the correct thermostat in the housing that closes off the lower smaller diameter hose to the water pump when it opens to let water into the radiator?

As well that hose should have an aluminum restrictor in it with a 8mm hole to reduce volume of hot water back into the engine.

If you have a typical aftermarket thermostat then you need to get the correct one.
It's this one:

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/t...euro-1750-2000

1976 Spider
post #58 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Thermostat

Looks correct. Is there a restrictor in the hose??

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #59 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Looks correct. Is there a restrictor in the hose??
Nope. Not before the new cylinder head, and not now.

1976 Spider
post #60 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Have you investigated the chance the temperature gauge might be off? I read you had an infrared gauge check the readings- I've had inconsistent results using an infrared gauge.
Using the infrared device, what is the temperature of the lower radiator hose when the upper hose is reading 200/210 ?
John533i likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode