Car running hot ó is it the Evans coolant? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:50 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Most of the Alfas driven in Italy, back in the day, were run with just water. Water without any antifreeze is going to boil at 212 degrees F. Coolant with a 50-50 mixture not only keeps the water from freezing, but it raises the boiling point about 10 degrees F.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:43 AM

Garage
The radiator was flow tested, are there any cool spots (checking with the infrared sensor?) I typically have the rad core boiled out then flow tested.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
Cognitive dissonance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I rechecked all the under-hood temps with an IR thermometer after a 40-mile run.

The rad is 210 at the top and 165 at the bottom. The bottom hose is also 165.

Even after 20 minutes above 70 mph the temperature gauge still does not get below ~195. Outside air temperature is 75F. Nothing is blocking airflow to the rad.

The fan is new and electric and is working.

I did not have anything done to the radiator, but it is the same radiator that always kept the car cooler than 185 previously. I did run water through it from the garden hose before reassembly, and it seemed to flow water well.

Do the symptoms above point more to a bad radiator or incorrect thermostat? Is it even possible to have an incorrect thermostat that fits perfectly?

1976 Spider
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
Your new electric fan.... did it always have an electric fan or did you swap out the mechanical one? Is it operating at top efficiency? Does I think have a shroud to direct air flow? Thermostats do come in different temp ranges but with the Alfas I don't know. Have you just removed the T-stat and ran it open? Keep plugging, you'll find the issue sooner or later...
post #21 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
Your new electric fan.... did it always have an electric fan or did you swap out the mechanical one? Is it operating at top efficiency? Does I think have a shroud to direct air flow? Thermostats do come in different temp ranges but with the Alfas I don't know. Have you just removed the T-stat and ran it open? Keep plugging, you'll find the issue sooner or later...
I had the mechanical fan before. The switch to electric fan came with the other recent changes.

Shroud is as pictured.

I havenít just removed the thermostat and run it open. Should I try that?
Attached Images

1976 Spider
post #22 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Hereís the thermostat
Attached Images

1976 Spider
post #23 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Garage
I would first question the efficiency of the new fan. You can surely remove the thermostat and see what the temps do. Should take longer to come to temp and may not even get to optimal temperature without it. At what temp does the fan come on? Is the T-stat new too? You ca. Test a T-stat in a pot of water on the stove if you have a thermometer to watch the temp when the T-stat opens.
post #24 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
I would first question the efficiency of the new fan. You can surely remove the thermostat and see what the temps do. Should take longer to come to temp and may not even get to optimal temperature without it. At what temp does the fan come on? Is the T-stat new too? You ca. Test a T-stat in a pot of water on the stove if you have a thermometer to watch the temp when the T-stat opens.
The fan is from Centerline and seems to be moving plenty of air to me. Is there anything I can do to test its efficiency? My mechanical fan was down to two blades, so Iím not sure it was doing much anyways. And a 70 mph freeway breeze doesnít bring the temps down to their previous levels either, so I donít think the fan is to blame.

The fan comes on around 190F and is activated by an inline thermo switch provided by Alfaholics and installed in the bottom hose as per their instructions.

I tested the thermostat in water before installing it. It opened, but I didnít note the temp. Itís the ďEuro 1750/2000Ē item from Centerline.

I was under the impression that with the thermostat removed half the water or more would go down the bypass hose, making an overheating situation worse rather than better. Is that not correct?

Could I have a thermostat that is not properly blocking the bypass hose?

1976 Spider
post #25 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Platinum Subscriber

If you are moving at 50 mph or above then it should not overheat with no fan. You should only need the fan when you are in slow traffic or stationary.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #26 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:39 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Time to do some debugging and less talking 🙂

If you have the old themostat, put it back and test.

If no change, remove electric fan and test.

A lot of posters have suggested things but we are not getting the results 🙂

Best
Pete
John533i likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #27 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Time to do some debugging and less talking 🙂

If you have the old themostat, put it back and test.

If no change, remove electric fan and test.

A lot of posters have suggested things but we are not getting the results 🙂

Best
Pete
Thanks Pete. Unfortunately I don’t have the old thermostat.

When you say remove the electric fan, do you mean to replace it with a mechanical fan or to run with no fan at all?

It’s Saturday afternoon and I don’t have anything better to do. I will get straight to work as soon as I have some clarity on what I should do. But I don’t have a good, old thermostat or mechanical fan.

I could try running on the highway with no fan at all. If the temps stay low, that’d tell us the problem is the electric fan is doing more harm than good.

What should I try first?

1976 Spider
post #28 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
Oh, I forgot about the big grille on the front of the spiders forcing air through the rad at 4K rpm on the highway.... you'll find the issue sooner or later!
post #29 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:30 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Run with no fan just to see.

It is possible that at speed the fan is acting like a wall of air.

But if you have the old fan, I'd chuck it back on.

Only way to find out what's happening is to try things until something gives you a hint, and then you will find the real solution 🙂
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #30 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Is the fan running in the right direction? Reversing the wiring reverses the direction.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode