Tranny Mount - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Is that the correct center console? .. seems blue ... was it a switch-out? If the shift lever is in neutral in your photo it pretty much tells me something is going awry with the center console causing the problem .. either the wrong one or positioned incorrectly. Center consoles are a big PITA that AR continued to finagle with cramming 10 pounds of electrical crap in a 5 pound bag. . but that is what it is. It is the only reason they had to redesign the tranny mount on these cars.
The trans mount change because of Alfa going to the hydraulic clutch in 69 which is when the mount was changed.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

You guys are giving me a lotta work to do! I'm tied up for a few days but will pull/reinstall the trans bushing. I'm also going to loosen the upper engine mounts and rock the engine/trans a bit to get it to settle it. And check that the shift lever is connected correctly.

For spiderserie4: "should've left those funky rubber spacers on.." - yep, I reinstalled them right after taking that photo.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lc69
I had the same issue after clutch job. It was the center console and from your pictures looks like it is not sitting properly. My guess is that 95% is the center console. Work on it and you’ll solve the problem

'88 Spider Veloce "I build my cars to go, not stop" (E. Bugatti after criticism of his brakes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I just went through this issue on our 74 Spider. After a clutch job it wouldn't stay in third gear. New motor mounts helped a little. But not enough. A couple washers under the trans mount helped a little as well. But apparently I didn't tighten down the gearshift lever enough and it moved when a friend was driving it. When I pulled it apart to tighten the shift rod I noticed that it wasnt sitting down all the way.

Once I pulled the bolt, pushed the lever down fully and tightened it up again it no longer hits the top of the console.

So check that your shift lever is fully seated if you have this issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
slowcreek likes this.

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1984 GTV6, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 97 164LS
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Finally got to spend some time wrenching on the car over the past couple of days. As it turns out, the interference issue was due to the console. One of the previous owners had installed an aftermarket radio and neglected to re-install the nuts that hold down the top of the console. As a result, the mass of wires behind the console pushed it out far enough to interfere with the shift lever. I replaced the nuts on the console, then removed the washers that were being used to lower the rear of the transmission. Now the transmission shifts as it should. Thanks to all for your suggestions! Now on to the next problem ...

Current: 87 Alfa Spider Veloce. Previous: 70 Opel GT, 69 Alfa Duetto, 80 TR7, 69 GT6+, 76 Midget, 85 944, plus assorted grocery getters
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipR View Post
Finally got to spend some time wrenching on the car over the past couple of days. As it turns out, the interference issue was due to the console. One of the previous owners had installed an aftermarket radio and neglected to re-install the nuts that hold down the top of the console. As a result, the mass of wires behind the console pushed it out far enough to interfere with the shift lever. I replaced the nuts on the console, then removed the washers that were being used to lower the rear of the transmission. Now the transmission shifts as it should. Thanks to all for your suggestions! Now on to the next problem ...
I've NEVER had a radio of any sort in my Alfas.

Too much other fun stuff to listen to.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcreek View Post
I've NEVER had a radio of any sort in my Alfas.

Too much other fun stuff to listen to.
+1,

I could never understand why people spend big $$ to install high powered stereo systems??
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Not only did that PO install an aftermarket radio, he installed an amp and subwoofer on the parcel shelf! Those were the first things I threw out (after the 12-year-old tires). The snarl of the engine hitting 5000 rpm is the best music in the world.

Current: 87 Alfa Spider Veloce. Previous: 70 Opel GT, 69 Alfa Duetto, 80 TR7, 69 GT6+, 76 Midget, 85 944, plus assorted grocery getters
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930cabman View Post
+1,

I could never understand why people spend big $$ to install high powered stereo systems??

And cut huge holes in the door cards!!!!

Usually grab some sheet metal with their saws along the way.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode