3Likes
  • 3 Post By Happymotoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Franken-Alfa

Hello to All,

I am new to the forum as I recently acquired, for very short coin, a 1981 Spider. Itís a verified west coast car and that is the attraction as I am here in New England.

Being a pretty good wrench and I very much enjoy learning new autos and systems. The Alfa, though not yet sorted out, has already proved to meet that standard.

Being a proud new Alfa owner and looking to be a responsible caretaker I have been studying more than wrenching. I have ripped through as many manuals, papers, forums and any other source I can access to know the vehicle and itís needs.

This is what I found about Frank:

1. Itís a 1980 build of the 1981 Spider
2. There was an engine swap. The engine code indicates that the plant is from Ď76 or Ď77 Alfetta.
3. The motor is stamped as a 2 liter.

Now you know why itís the Franken-Alfa.

This weekend I am going to go through the tune procedures that have been so well documented by many generous owners, manuals, and, of course, the Master Wes. I plan to take my time and absorb and enjoy all of it.

So here are my questions. Well for now...

1. I took the cam cover off and the exhaust cam vernier looks as expected. However, the intake cam adjuster is foreign to me and my studying did not produce an answer. Take a look at the pic I attached. Any input you have on this system is appreciated.

2. I canít believe, truly, how generous the AlfaBB members are with knowledge and experience. I have seen so many posts with scans of exploded parts diagrams posted by many. I have collected some documentation but such parts diagrams have alluded me. Can anyone inform me of where to acquire such a manual for any Alfa?

Happy to be here with you all. I look forward to contributing as I learn. But in the meantime thank you for your help.

Happymotoring
Attached Images

Happymotoring

Ď81 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 PM
Welcome!

It looks like the cam is from a later model VVT.

It is not uncommon for the build date and title to be off - it's just an Alfa thing.

There's virtually no difference between a '77 block and an '80 except the number. By 1980 the Spiders were pretty doggy performance wise. They may have swapped motors to get a bit more although a '77 wasn't exactly a rocket ship.

I would suggest getting the CarDisk CD (Centerline Alfa I think) which has a ton of useful info including the Alfa Parts Book which is where a lot of those exploded views come from.

Good luck - more pictures!

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gprocket; 05-25-2019 at 03:52 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the input Gprocket. I picked up the Cardisc the other day. Good suggestion.

Happymotoring

Ď81 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymotoring View Post

1. I took the cam cover off and the exhaust cam vernier looks as expected. However, the intake cam adjuster is foreign to me and my studying did not produce an answer. Take a look at the pic I attached. Any input you have on this system is appreciated.

Happymotoring
Hi and first off a warm welcome to BB
Lets see a photo of your alfa (kind of an unwritten rule here)

the intake cam you have has the mechanical VVT, came with the first L-jetronic cars. Some actually prefer it to the electronic VVT, but's that six of one and half dozen of t'other!

Later it was changed to electronic, solenoid operated VVT, with the solenoid on the front of the cam cover.

some info on the mechanicle VVT for you here:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/306506-post2.html

yours is like this:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/628026-post9.html
and electronic version is like this:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/6675713-post14.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the links. I will definitely read up on the VVT.

I am happy to post a pic! The Alfa is in a small garage with not great point of view for a good shot. As soon as it comes out by push or power taking a photo will be the first order of business.

Thanks again.

Happymotoring

Ď81 Spider
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The mechanical VVT started with the 1980 Spiders.

Your block number might tell you its Alfetta. But it has been rebuilt as a Spider engine.

Two things so far point to this. One you have the VVT and two its in a spider. The Alfetta cranks were not drilled for the input bushing for the 105 series transmission.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Welcome, looks like fun. You may also want to join the local alfa club, there may be actually face to face mentoring available there, which is handy sometimes. More pics would be good, the 80-81 spica cars are a bit of a black sheep even in spica circles, with unusual intake and air filter set up. Yours may be converted to an earlier spec already.

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Vintage.

Thanks for chiming in. Spent a lovely day wrenching studying. This is what I learned:

1. Appears that the car originally had the single throttle body setup. The fresh air draw tube is located on the driver side.

2. However, the Spica setup is a T265. (Tough to read but my friend with better sight plucked off the model) with 4 throttle bodies and the 4 port gray air cleaner that looks like it came out of a Panzer.

I was going to attach images but hard from the iPad. Will post up a shot or two when I go in and use my laptop.

I love having a 3 day weekend. I’ll have more time on it tomorrow.

Watch for the shots I have. Will be posted soon.

Happymotoring

Ď81 Spider
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymotoring View Post
Vintage.

Thanks for chiming in. Spent a lovely day wrenching studying. This is what I learned:

1. Appears that the car originally had the single throttle body setup. The fresh air draw tube is located on the driver side.

2. However, the Spica setup is a T265. (Tough to read but my friend with better sight plucked off the model) with 4 throttle bodies and the 4 port gray air cleaner that looks like it came out of a Panzer...
That would make sense. The mono-whatever was the poorest performing of all the SPICA setups. I can imagine the fights the engineers had with the regulators over that one. Anyway, the 265 would make for much better performance.

Sounds like you have the right temperament for working on a SPICA. They are fascinating and an engineering marvel. Set up properly they can be a rock solid performer.

Last edited by gprocket; 05-26-2019 at 05:01 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
gprocket - Thanks for the encouragement!

To All -

As promised here are the shots of the Alfa. My friend sent them over as he took them on the day the car came home. It remains tucked in the garage for at least a few more days as I await some new valve shims.

As you can see it has a hardtop. I do have a frame but no canvas - yet!

Beyond that the body seems pretty good which was part of the reason I went through with the purchase.

I look forward to the day I get to drive it as well as work on it. When I do I will post more photos.

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Thanks to all that chimed in on this thread.
Attached Images

Happymotoring

Ď81 Spider
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:47 PM
Very nice! I just finished a '77 Spider in silver. Really pretty in person.
Attached Images

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Very nice! I just finished a '77 Spider in silver. Really pretty in person.
That is a great color!

Doug

Doug
1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I agree. That silver is a very rich color. Very nicely done!

Happymotoring

Ď81 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode