Clutch pedal to the floor - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch pedal to the floor

I went out to drive my Ď89 Quadrifoglio today and when I pushed the clutch pedal it easily went all the way to the floor. The pedal moves up and down with very little effort, which is obviously not the way it should be. The clutch reservoir was totally empty. I filled the reservoir with DOT 3 and do see some air coming up from the bottom. But just a small bubble every once in a while. Pumping the clutch car running and not doesnít effect the reservoir. I last drove the car a week ago for about 75-85 miles without issue.

What am I looking at as far as troubleshooting? Iím a novice mechanic at best. Thanks in advance.

Doug

Doug
1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Odds are it's the slave cylinder. Underneath next the bell housing. Their seals go and the fluid leaks out. You can get a replacement or a rebuild kit. The other possibility is the line between the master and slave - consider replacing that "while you're in there". The clutch system is "self bleeding" so this is a really easy repair.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:24 PM

A similar problem

Recently I had this problem with my Milano. But the clutch "miraculously" came back and I did not loose any fluid.
I did replace the slave cylinder anyway. Cheap insurance and boy was the clutch fluid dirty when I drained it.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/mil...floor-but.html

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Odds are it's the slave cylinder. Underneath next the bell housing. Their seals go and the fluid leaks out. You can get a replacement or a rebuild kit. The other possibility is the line between the master and slave - consider replacing that "while you're in there". The clutch system is "self bleeding" so this is a really easy repair.
Thanks. I ordered a new slave cylinder and hose for between the master and slave.

Doug

Doug
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27
Odds are it's the slave cylinder. Underneath next the bell housing. Their seals go and the fluid leaks out.
Agree that a leaking slave cylinder is the most likely cause. But the fluid has to go somewhere. Is there a puddle of brake fluid under the slave cylinder? Is the slave cylinder dripping fluid? If not, I wouldn't be too quick to fault the slave. Is the clutch master wet by any chance?

Quote:
The clutch system is "self bleeding"
It is? News to me. Be sure to orient the bleed screw on the slave at 12:00.

Quote:
so this is a really easy repair.
Well, it's an "easy repair" if you have a good pair of snap ring pliers and the cylinder isn't corroded to the bellhousing.
spydaman likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
It is? News to me. Be sure to orient the bleed screw on the slave at 12:00.
What I mean is you don't have to pump it, or bleed the master or anything like that. Just fill 'er up, and crack the bleed screw and just let it run until no more bubbles. Works on mine, anyhoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Well, it's an "easy repair" if you have a good pair of snap ring pliers and the cylinder isn't corroded to the bellhousing.
No, you don't need a "good" pair - a Harbor Freight Special will work just fine.

As far as corrosion goes....well, the joys of owning an old car! Changing a flat tire is a tough job if the lug nuts are rusted or rounded off. I didn't mean it was as easy a job as filling the gas tank or turning the ignition key but as far as under the hood jobs go it's pretty frickin' easy and a good little project for an inexperienced mechanic.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:50 AM

Garage
Another fault could be the that the weld on the end of the pivot arm has cracked off.
Invisible but a fault I had. So when clutch pedal depresses, the arm on the clutch master does not move.
Remedy, re-weld or replace the servo unit, I drilled out the end and re-welded.
Check this first.
best wishes Austin
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaliko View Post
I went out to drive my Ď89 Quadrifoglio today and when I pushed the clutch pedal it easily went all the way to the floor. The pedal moves up and down with very little effort, which is obviously not the way it should be. The clutch reservoir was totally empty. I filled the reservoir with DOT 3 and do see some air coming up from the bottom. But just a small bubble every once in a while. Pumping the clutch car running and not doesnít effect the reservoir. I last drove the car a week ago for about 75-85 miles without issue.

What am I looking at as far as troubleshooting? Iím a novice mechanic at best. Thanks in advance.

Doug
"Novice mechanic at BEST"... indicates to me you might be striking out on a course leading to much frustration. If you have AAA, I would have the car towed to your garage and be done with it.

It's probably a 2 hour job max for a good mechanic and new parts (not a rebuild kit) like a new slave and hose are readily available. The learning curve and potential hiccups climbing it aren't really worth the heartburn if you are a "novice". I know novices that can box themselves in a corner doing an oil change without a minimum of supervision. Some things aren't worth the trouble. Bite the bullet. If you want to learn how to fix it, ask your mechanic to watch and learn.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the advice. Rich (sloboy89) has offered to help. Heís much more Experienced a mechanic than I am. So hopefully the two of us can get it done in a timely manner. Thanks.

Doug
sloboy89 likes this.

Doug
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Juneau View Post
Another fault could be the that the weld on the end of the pivot arm has cracked off.
Invisible but a fault I had. So when clutch pedal depresses, the arm on the clutch master does not move.
Remedy, re-weld or replace the servo unit, I drilled out the end and re-welded.
Check this first.
best wishes Austin
Iíll check this. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

Doug
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:01 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaliko View Post
Iíll check this. Thanks for the tip.

Doug
It would be good to check it, but a broken pivot arm wouldnít cause the fluid to drain out.
ortak, Alfajay, Dbaliko and 1 others like this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:44 PM

If you need a pivot arm I have plenty in stock.
Alfa Romeo Clutch Pivot Arms
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:15 AM

had this happen april last year....took it to mechanic...master cylinder, brake booster ...decided to do both at the same time.. the master cylinder $107...and brake booster , $199...
labor $570 here in Houston...
incl fluid etc , total job $965

fYI on costs if you don't do it yourself

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:11 AM

Dealing with the clutch hydraulics on a spider is a PITA. Just replaced the whole 9 yrds on mine and bleeding it was a chore. Helpful tip when replacing the clutch flex hose, you do so by removing the flare nut and the jam nut on the hard line, then everything comes apart. Go ahead a go buy a pneumatic bleeder and plan on sticking it on the slave for a good while, bleeding these things isn't the easiest if you have a new master.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Garage
This is why it's a good idea to bleed both clutch and brake hydraulics periodically.

Empty the reservoir. Get what gunk out that you can. easy on clutch master, not easy on brake master.

Fill master with fresh fluid and bleed the system til clear fluid comes out. And then some more.

Cylinders last much longer this way.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode