Towed last week towed today S3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Towed last week towed today S3

Towed last week checked spark OK But no fuel .Pump fuse bad replaced and started.Next I find fuel pump running with key in off,bang pump relay and it stops.Order new relay.Clean all grounds. Install new relay .Car starts but runs very bad till it warms up. GO for a drive 20 minutes later dead on the side of the road. Check spark OK.Check fuse OK.check power to fuel pump none.Hot wire fuel pump .Still no start . Towed in .I'm not in a good mood today .Tomorrow I will start to look some more .Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Your pump may be dying. I had an intermittent problem about a month ago. It would work fine when tested statically, or just after starting. However, after it had run for 10-20 minutes the pump would seize. Once it cooled off, I could get it to run, again, for a short amount of time.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

I checked the pump when hot wired it was running ok but tomorrow I will check the flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Good fuse new relay no voltage to pump.With pump running no start.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmon View Post
Good fuse new relay no voltage to pump
when you jump the big Drive/Fuel relay socket (between #30 & #87) both pumps run, correct? - if not, then suspect wiring or connectors G73 or G107, or that troublesome bullet fuse holder (fuse blew for a reason!)

if yes, then suspect the new relay gone bad - was it a cheap(er) KAE or a proper Bosch relay you replaced it with?

Quote:
With pump running no start.
I'd double check spark again, just to exclude that hasn't coincidentally gone awol.
perhaps smaller (Main) relay decided to act up?
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

I got relay from centerline I looked at picture of a correct Bosch relay but when I got it was a KAE not what I ordered.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Charged battery all night .Started right up now what. If low voltage to the ECU was problem why would it stop when driving .Alt is putting out 13.6 volts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I got relay from centerline I looked at picture of a correct Bosch relay but when I got it was a KAE not what I ordered.
and KAE new on ebay are 30-40$

I agree, that photo is totally mis-leading.

I'd sooner a used Bosch (about 30 quid, used in UK, ebay) than that Kaehler.

oh well, a sign of the times I suppose.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Charged battery all night .Started right up now what. If low voltage to the ECU was problem why would it stop when driving .Alt is putting out 13.6 volts.
good its working, but I still wouldn't feel safe, just yet!

battery connections loose?(might account for blown fuse), ground cable bolted to trunk floor got loose?

check static battery voltage to see if your 'recharged' battery holds a full 12.6V overnight.
and then re-check cranking voltage.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 05-17-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

I Had just cleaned all grounds and battery connections.Thinking maybe crank sensor but they check good cold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode