Gas all over the garage floor - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gas all over the garage floor

Hi All. It seems Carmella was not happy today. I replaced a few of the old hoses with new silicone ones I got from HPSI Motorsports. Cleaned out the cold start valve on top of the valve covers. Here it comes. Start the car( still had terrible cold start issues) and luckily I got out of the car to check the engine bay for any leaks. I smell gas. Looking into the engine bay I don’t notice the growing puddle of gas under the passenger side of the car. I’m lucky I didn’t go BOOM! Shut the car down. Clean the gas. The only place I saw “wet” was the FI hose coming off the fuel rail in the first picture. I then notice one has been replaced and the other 2 are dry rotted. How do you replace these hoses? Sizes? Are they special made or just cut hose to length with a couple hi pressure clamps (like the one that was already replaced) Thanks for helping!!!
Attached Images

onelunger61 likes this.

Anthony "Yac" Yacopino
Finger Lakes Region NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Not too hard to change, but read this thread--

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...injection.html

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rich, I read that thread when you first posted it. Scary stuff my man. So walk me through this do they just pop off (like with a flathead screwdriver). Don't want to go in there and break something. I never dealt with this kind of FI before. Don't want to be a bull in a china shop. Anything to be weary of?
Found this hose on Amazon (pic). Is this the stuff? And they list hi pressure clamps to go with it pic 2.
Attached Images

Anthony "Yac" Yacopino
Finger Lakes Region NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clamps
Attached Images

Anthony "Yac" Yacopino
Finger Lakes Region NY
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYac View Post
Rich, I read that thread when you first posted it. Scary stuff my man. So walk me through this do they just pop off (like with a flathead screwdriver). Don't want to go in there and break something. I never dealt with this kind of FI before. Don't want to be a bull in a china shop. Anything to be weary of?
Found this hose on Amazon (pic). Is this the stuff? And they list hi pressure clamps to go with it pic 2.
I later ordered that hose from Amazon, and it looked like it would work, but I ended up feeling safer using the wrong hose I got from Centerline with clamps that fit that hose. Those clamps (which I got from McMaster-Carr) would have been too big for the Amazon hose. I think it goes without saying, but I didn't use the cups with the clamps.

This is the procedure I used to get the fuel rail off:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ml#post8411734

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I can't just pop them off...Great! I'll follow your procedure. Thanks for the help I'll let you know how I make out in a few days. While I got you (and since I'll order this stuff from centerline anyway) my oil pressure sending unit is not up to task. At idle it shows 0 pressure. Did a search and saw that there are actually 2 senders. Found the "dummy light" one on the D/S of the engine, where is the gauge sender??
sloboy89 likes this.

Anthony "Yac" Yacopino
Finger Lakes Region NY
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Garage
Oil Pressure

The sender unit is right above the starter solenoid.
TheYac likes this.

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeach View Post
The sender unit is right above the starter solenoid.
Yes. You will need a thin wrench to remove the old unit. It is 14mm if I recall. You can order thin wrenches online or others suggest buying at a bicycle shop.
alfabeach and TheYac like this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rich (or anyone with an opinion), since I can access these hoses pretty easy, can I just cut them in half pull them off and replace without pulling the fuel rail?
Also, Centerline sells kits with the ferrule on one side and a clamp on the other or should I just buy hose and clamps for both sides? I'm leaning to the later method seems safer.

Anthony "Yac" Yacopino
Finger Lakes Region NY
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Rich (or anyone with an opinion), since I can access these hoses pretty easy, can I just cut them in half pull them off and replace without pulling the fuel rail?
Also, Centerline sells kits with the ferrule on one side and a clamp on the other or should I just buy hose and clamps for both sides? I'm leaning to the later method seems safer.
You can cut the hoses in half and carefully remove the old pieces from both the injector and the fuel rail. The new hose is too stiff to be put on with the fuel rail in place. If you cut the hoses, you will still need to remove the fuel rail to install the new ones, but you will not need to remove the injectors.

I have heard on the BB that the kits Centerline sells are for the L-Jet V-6 engines (Alfa GTV6) and that the hoses are too short for use on the Spider, but I have not verified that.
TheYac likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update! 5 + hours in and got a whole bunch accomplished! All of the old fuel rail to injector lines removed (even the cold start injector line) My God they were obviously the originals (except for the one replaced which I cut off as well) and were as hard as concrete under the metal bushings. I had to cut off everyone of the with dyke-metal snips and pull piece by piece out with needle nose pliers. What a chore but they're ready for new hoses. While in the area I found (I swear I have no idea how this car ran) the 2 ground wires for the ECU were not connected to the engine. I believe this should solve my slow Windows and horrible cold starts. I also took a "Chineasium" 14mm wrench (I save all kinds of crappy tools for this) cut it down, ground it thin and got the oil sending unit out. Ok that's the good, here's the bad while be as gentle as a lamb (I swear) 2 of the plastic Bosch connectors literally disintegrated where the securing wire goes through. Now what to do? The ones that didn't break were just dumb luck in my opinion you can actually feel how brittle they are. They re seated fine but, Bumps and turns...who knows. Thinking the easy fix to use some "dum dum" to hold it. Not quite glue but it holds. Is it an easy wire splice to replace them? I have no problem soldering some wires if they are that easy to replace...

Anthony "Yac" Yacopino
Finger Lakes Region NY
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Update! 5 + hours in and got a whole bunch accomplished! All of the old fuel rail to injector lines removed (even the cold start injector line) My God they were obviously the originals (except for the one replaced which I cut off as well) and were as hard as concrete under the metal bushings. I had to cut off everyone of the with dyke-metal snips and pull piece by piece out with needle nose pliers. What a chore but they're ready for new hoses. While in the area I found (I swear I have no idea how this car ran) the 2 ground wires for the ECU were not connected to the engine. I believe this should solve my slow Windows and horrible cold starts. I also took a "Chineasium" 14mm wrench (I save all kinds of crappy tools for this) cut it down, ground it thin and got the oil sending unit out. Ok that's the good, here's the bad while be as gentle as a lamb (I swear) 2 of the plastic Bosch connectors literally disintegrated where the securing wire goes through. Now what to do? The ones that didn't break were just dumb luck in my opinion you can actually feel how brittle they are. They re seated fine but, Bumps and turns...who knows. Thinking the easy fix to use some "dum dum" to hold it. Not quite glue but it holds. Is it an easy wire splice to replace them? I have no problem soldering some wires if they are that easy to replace...
Good to hear you are making progress! Search for EV1 connectors at your preferred source, and you will find a lot of options, especially with the more modern push-to-release retaining clip.
TheYac likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Love the name, "Carmella." That was my Sicilian mother's name, may she rest in peace.
TheYac likes this.

Nick '79 Alfetta Sport Sedan, '83 GTV6
"Even a blind squirrel bumps into a nut once in a while"
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:04 AM

If you are going to replace 2 broken injector connectors, I'd replace all 4 as you can bet the others will be brittle too.

Also, I'd consider the more modern type of connector, the quick release type Bosch connector with the spring clip you just push to release.
(rather than the orig. type with that separate spring clip that flies off into the abyss!)
TheYac likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
If you are going to replace 2 broken injector connectors, I'd replace all 4 as you can bet the others will be brittle too.

Also, I'd consider the more modern type of connector, the quick release type Bosch connector with the spring clip you just push to release.
(rather than the orig. type with that separate spring clip that flies off into the abyss!)

Can you provide a link to these magical connectors?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode