‘86 Spider Door Stop Replacement - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:50 PM

Hmmm

You may need to adjust everything now since You’ve undone the metal wire that should always be under tension.

Study the window “contraption” carefully and you’ll note all the rollers and window brackets.

You’ll notice they all need to be under tension to work properly.

I’ll try to find a picture I drew to help you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 PM

Garage
It sounds like you may have moved the guides for the glass or moved the motor position when you removed the 3 bolts you mentioned. not sure without seeing it. You might try raising and lowering it with the door panel off in order to see what is binding.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

I changed my straps last week (87 with power windows). It was just as big a pain in the arse as I expected which it why it took me about 3 years to pull the parts off the shelf to finally do the job, and then only 1 hour to realize I should have left them there. Considering all the frustration and time fiddling to get them out and back in (twice on the first side because of incorrect assembly), it quickly became the job least worst doing for the little gain, especially doing the driver side and having the work left-handed. But fast forward 3+ hours, glad its done. I too used the rollers from Lowe's. I wish opening and closing the doors wasn't as firm. In talking about the job with another Alfisti after the fact, the easiest thing that could have been done was drill slightly larger holes in the rollers. I know some have talked about trying the shave the straps. The problem is you can't test the force until they are back in the car.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:55 AM

I did my '87 this winter. Karl's procedure is great. #3 (tying a string to the old one before removing) is sage advice. My window motors were unbolted at the time because they need to be re-cabled, and this helped. Also my son helped, as my ape arms and large hands were useless in reaching in there.

I used Centerline straps item DH395 (SPI 66-94) and rollers DH397. Of course you need 2 straps and 4 rollers. I reused all my pins, they were fine and just needed to be cleaned up with a little emery paper.

A few other tips: Treat the pins with PB Blaster before attempting to remove them. Very important to ensure the new rollers spin freely... I had to sand down the end of my rollers a bit as they were binding against the housings. Avoid petroleum grease as it can deteriorate the rubber (which is my theory why so many of our limit straps are decomposed)... I used silicone grease on mine. Definitely label the top of the assembly before fishing it back in, as it can turn over during the process. To facilitate pins going back in, wiggle them first to ensure the "splines" on the pin are in line with the grooves in the housings.

This all worked perfectly. Door function is normal, not too stiff or too loose. No need to shave the straps!

Last edited by alfaareks; 05-15-2019 at 05:00 AM. Reason: add content
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:04 PM

My diagram when working on my 84’:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode