I did my '87 this winter. Karl's procedure is great. #3 (tying a string to the old one before removing) is sage advice. My window motors were unbolted at the time because they need to be re-cabled, and this helped. Also my son helped, as my ape arms and large hands were useless in reaching in there.
I used Centerline straps item DH395 (SPI 66-94) and rollers DH397. Of course you need 2 straps and 4 rollers. I reused all my pins, they were fine and just needed to be cleaned up with a little emery paper.
A few other tips: Treat the pins with PB Blaster before attempting to remove them. Very important to ensure the new rollers spin freely... I had to sand down the end of my rollers a bit as they were binding against the housings. Avoid petroleum grease as it can deteriorate the rubber (which is my theory why so many of our limit straps are decomposed)... I used silicone grease on mine. Definitely label the top of the assembly before fishing it back in, as it can turn over during the process. To facilitate pins going back in, wiggle them first to ensure the "splines" on the pin are in line with the grooves in the housings.
This all worked perfectly. Door function is normal, not too stiff or too loose. No need to shave the straps!
Last edited by alfaareks; 05-15-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Reason: add content