Inherited a 1969 1750 Spider Veloce Euro - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Inherited a 1969 1750 Spider Veloce Euro

My first post here! My father bought the car in Rome in 1969 and shipped it back to Canada. He drove it summers only for the better part of 10 years. It has not been driven since at least 1978. It has just over 41,000 miles on it, and it’s been in a heated garage all this time (roughly 40 years!!). I decided to take it on as a restoration project.

The body is actually in pretty darn good shape. No significant rusting to be seen. The leather interior looks good as well.

The brakes are seized, so those need to be addressed before it can be rolled around.

The crank shaft also seems seized (tried turning it with by pulling on the fan to no avail). Maybe some lubrication and a bit of elbow grease will unglue it.

I have to bring it to a mechanic to have it fully inspected and know what I’m actually dealing with in terms of restoration. I’d like to do at least some of it myself, like the brakes, suspension, and rebuffing of the paint.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:05 AM

Garage
Wow. Looks like a very cool project, and very much worth bringing back from the dead. If you'd like to move it to a more suitable work location before working on the brakes, I'd suggest buying a set of wheel dollies.

I would have been surprised if the engine DID turn over. The oil has had over 40 years to congeal into paste. It's probably not worth trying to get running without a full rebuild first. Even if you can get it to turn over, I suspect the seals will leak like sieves once there is pressure in the crank case. The good news is that parts are still readily available and these are not overly tricky motors to rebuild.

Overall, the mechanical side of restoring these cars is pretty easy. If you have a good rust-free body, you are already starting several steps ahead. You have the benefit of the fact that Alfa Romeo used essentially the same mechanical bits in the Spider from the 1960s to the mid 1990s (with a a few relatively minor changes over the years).

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:31 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the BB. It does look like a worthwhile project. Thanks for the 'before' photos. Keep posting - we like photos and will try to answer questions (some answers may actually prove useful...).
Susan likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks folks! Any idea how much a full engine rebuild could cost?
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lo View Post
It will depend on what condition the engine is in once you open it up. If everything is in good shape (Crank, pistons, liners), then the parts for a good refresh (seals, gaskets, bearings, rings, water pump, distributor) should run around $1,000. If you do a more full rebuild and replace pistons/liners, then double that. Labor will depend on whether you DIY, what machine work you have done, or who you have rebuild it. Note that if the head studs are corroded, it would likely be better to just start with a different core. 1750 cores aren't quite as plentiful as the later 2 liter cores, but still not terribly difficult to come by. A lot of people have swapped 2 liter engines into these cars, but some prefer originality and the character of the more freely revving 1750.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
That's awesome. Welcome. I would suggest tacking the engine last, especially if you are also considering any kind of body work but getting it out of there and a good wash/clean up will tell you more. Engine last as it's undesirable to pour a bunch of moola into doing a nice engine then have it sit there in the corner for a couple of years or ten, corroding away while the other jobs get done. If you can, fix that engine, if you end up swapping in another engine, then at least save that block as you may want to make the car more correct in the future. Although Alfa's are not a "numbers matched" type of thing, there are definitely bodies and engines that are supposed to be together. Patina is not necessarily a bad thing, bunch of rust would be though. Should be a fun journey, lots of help here and even though you are in Canada, there is help around here too.

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
This looks really exciting. Good luck with it.

(I need to complain to my parents about not storing anything but useless junk for the last forty years.)
jthames, garwood1, Susan and 1 others like this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 AM

Congrats! Looks like a fun and hopefully easy project.

I drove a 69 Spider back in the 80's and a guy approached me saying "that's my car." Confused, I asked him what he meant. He told me he had saved his money up and was all set to go to the Alfa dealership and buy a new 69 Spider, but his dad went down the day before and bought the car out from under him. His mom and dad then proceeded to drive all over the US and Canada three different times in six months, putting on 90K miles. According to the son they didn't do any maintenance during or after their trips, and once completed, the motor was shot and the car never ran again.

Hopefully you don't need it but I have a clean 69 Spider core sitting in my garage.

Chuck
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:08 AM

you even have the original alfa hardtop

that looks like a great project.
I agree with above.
Get it out of there, then a thorough wash to see what you are dealing with...

oh and then post some more photos!
Susan and triz like this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Garage
glad to know there are still surprises out there waiting for a second life
Susan likes this.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Whereabouts in Canada are you located?
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleggerita View Post
Whereabouts in Canada are you located?
Ottawa
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Lucky 13. Appreciate all the opinion here, but before throwing the towel on the original engine, I suggest you start by draining and replacing all liquids first then proceed to rocking the old girl back and forth in 5th gear (a lot... As in over a few days) until it's free.
Chances are your head gasket and most seals and rubber parts will have been long gone, but then again there is a faint but fair chance that brakes will unseize and the engine will turn on its own power even 40 years later (mine did after 11 years of sitting).
Good luck with this beauty.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lo View Post
$5k - $10k. Price depends on the condition of the engine and who is doing the work.
sbadaro likes this.

Brian __________________________________

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
Lucky 13. Appreciate all the opinion here, but before throwing the towel on the original engine, I suggest you start by draining and replacing all liquids first then proceed to rocking the old girl back and forth in 5th gear (a lot... As in over a few days) until it's free.
Chances are your head gasket and most seals and rubber parts will have been long gone, but then again there is a faint but fair chance that brakes will unseize and the engine will turn on its own power even 40 years later (mine did after 11 years of sitting).
Good luck with this beauty.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
I would put some sort or oil or marvel mystery oil in the cylinders before doing anything like that.
sbadaro likes this.

Brian __________________________________

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode