Inherited a 1969 1750 Spider Veloce Euro - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARwrench View Post
Marvel mystery oil....pffft The engine will have to be rebuilt, why waste your time?
You have a point there - there probably is a new P&L set in Dr. Lo's future - but there is something to be said for rebuilding an engine that at least rotates. Easier to disassemble the rods & pins from the pistons when you can extract them from the liners.
Craig_m67 likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Marvel mystery oil....pffft

The engine will have to be rebuilt, why waste your time?

To see if it will turn over....

If it does, he can budget for a cheaper simpler rebuild, maybe do it himself. If it doesn’t.. well he’s in for a big rebuild and can budget from r that accordingly too

Why the negativity?

Squirting some oil down the spark plug holes takes five minutes
Let’s him bond with an engine he’s likely not seen before

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:20 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Marvel mystery oil....pffft

The engine will have to be rebuilt, why waste your time?
Time is never wasted when trying to determine the condition of anything on a vintage Alfa.

I've seen and heard of a number of engines that sat for decades and did not need a rebuild. Some, were stuck hard. Care and patience are required to free up a stuck engine. I would also poor oil over the cams and cam lobes before trying to start the car.

It's really not a good idea to tell someone the engine will need a rebuild without getting all of the facts about the condition of the engine. This could send someone down the road of a very costly and unwarranted expense.
sbadaro likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:59 PM

Don't take my view as gospel but I have done the Lazarus routine on motorcycles for years.

Some were "resting" for a long time too and stuck.

Engine:
Pull the plugs and make a mixture of 50/50 acetone and ATF. Acetone is nasty stuff so be careful. Pour down each plug hole.
Some would say drain engine. Put plug back in and then fill with kerosene or diesel. Let it sit too.
After a week say , try putting it in 5th gear and rocking. If still stuck, wait a week. Try again.
Brakes.
Typically the pistons are stuck in calipers and the pads may have been rusted to the discs. I would take a rubber mallet and bang them to "shock" loose. If they have rusted to the disc, then rocking may break loose. You WILL need to go through the whole system and rebuild.
Body:
A good washing is the best way to start. Look underneath while you have it on jack stands (rebuilding brake system!). Examine closely for rust.
Polish paint and stand back and look at it.A guy I know who does vintage Porsches goes over the paint with 2000 grit sand paper.

Too many people fly into sleepers like this and strip them, farm out bits and then burn out.

If I could break engine free, I'd then drain all of the kerosene & 50/50 solution and then put something like Marvel Mystery down the cylinders and spin with a battery.
Go through carbs and rebuild .Install new oil and filter and then do a remote gas tank feed and try to start.
You'd be surprised.

Years ago I dug out an old Honda 750 motorcycle . It was an early one. Sat for years. It was stuck. I did all of the above and it fired off. Non of the rings were stuck. If it had of started smoking, I would have shot Kroil oil into carbs. It has been know to free rings up when running.
Later Americn Honda bought this bike from me because it was SOOO original. Still in there museum.

Oh yeah. Be patient.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Folks, I greatly appreciate all of your input. I am going to take my time with this little beauty. I will keep you posted.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

If anyone knows of any, could I get recommendations for mechanics having experience with classic Alfas in my area? I live in Ottawa, Canada.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:00 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Hi Dr. Lo. I sent you a private message w while ago. Did you see it?

Is Toronto to far? I know someone who has an excellent mechanic in the area. I'm happy to ask him for a referral.

Brian __________________________________

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:12 AM

Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lo View Post
Ottawa
There is a chapter of the Alfa Romeo Club of Canada in Ottawa. If you haven't already connected with them, I suggest you do so. They are a great source of information on Alfa's include a few who rebuilt their cars. You can use my name if you like. I was a member about 16 years ago when I lived in Ottawa and some of the older members will remember me.

https://alfaromeoottawa.wordpress.com/
Somer likes this.

Last edited by Kim Boydell; 05-17-2019 at 07:28 AM.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Garage
There is a funny thing about totally original cars like this -with 40 years of dust and neglect (dust is a requirement). They usually sell, at the right auction, for about as much (possibly more) as a comparable fully restored example. If it were not for the sentimental value; you could probably sell this car and with the proceeds of the sale, buy one that has been completely restored.

Then you could spend the next 5 or 10 years driving around, rather than 'tooling around' in the garage. I've done it both ways and turn key is very nice. It is also nice to be able to say, "ya I built that".

Just another opinion...
Mark
sbadaro and Alfaboutvegas like this.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Hi Dr. Lo. I sent you a private message w while ago. Did you see it?

Is Toronto to far? I know someone who has an excellent mechanic in the area. I'm happy to ask him for a referral.
Thanks! Toronto is a 4-hour drive away, so that’s too far unfortunately.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Boydell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lo View Post
Ottawa
There is a chapter of the Alfa Romeo Club of Canada in Ottawa. If you haven't already connected with them, I suggest you do so. They are a great source of information on Alfa's include a few who rebuilt their cars. You can use my name if you like. I was a member about 16 years ago when I lived in Ottawa and some of the older members will remember me.

https://alfaromeoottawa.wordpress.com/
Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode