Bar's Additive Oil Pan Leak - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Alfar7
  • 1 Post By Stevew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Bar's Additive Oil Pan Leak

Working on fixing a couple of oil leaks.

I have an oil leak coming from the upper pan gasket. I get a small spot on the garage floor after every drive. Looking at the BB it looks like a job above my capabilities to gain access to the leak.

Is Bar's Engine Oil Stop Leak Concentrate worth a try? Any instructions on how to best use?

Last edited by M2Charland; 05-07-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:27 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Bars Stop Leak

Quote:
Any so, any instructions on how to best use?
Yes, leave it on the shelf at the parts store.

Have you tightened all the upper pan bolts? Is the source coming from the pan / block interface or from higher up? Like oil seals oil pressure senders, etc.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

I double checked pan bolts. It did appear to be coming from the pan block interface. I will take another look when I get back back home this weekend just to make certain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:44 PM

Lucas Engine Stop Leak works.....I know a reputable Alfa shop who uses it as SOP on oil changes. I have a leaky rear main seal and it has REDUCED my leak.. and it took weeks to show signs it was working.. You will not destroy your engine and see results, I am sure ... I have used it is steering boxes too. The activating agents swell the seal.. If you are unsure of what I say read up on it. It is not an STP or Bardahl , anti-friction product. so you are not compromising anything on the workings of your motor. .
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
Has anything changed recently? A new condition or a gradual worsening of an old problem? If it ever gets to the point that you are pulling case parts off and redoing a gasket set, make sure you use a machinist straight edge -(different than a ruler) to verify surface planes are square and true with no warping. Its unlikely that's the case here---but just in case (no pun intended) something might have warped or been impacted.

Also possible - a previous owner had work done and gaskets were not scraped fully or deck surfaces were not tested to ensure they were square and true. Again-an outside chance but worth remembering
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfar7 View Post
Is the source coming from the pan / block interface or from higher up? Like oil seals oil pressure senders, etc.
While the all-aluminum Alfa engines do tend to leak oil, the pan-block gasket isn't a common source of this problem. As Alfar7 asks, are you sure the source isn't elsewhere? Do you see more oil toward the front, toward the rear, on the L side, ....?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
Jay is correct ....most oil leaks come from either the cam cover, front or rear main seals. My 76 Alfetta GT was leaking from the rear main seal. Got Bar's rear sealer 2 weeks ago and it did stop the leak.....for how long ...will see......
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:38 PM

Upper pan gasket sounds like a leaky main... Pretty common on cars that sit for long periods of time.... especially if the pan gasket never leaked before. Pan gaskets just don't crap out .Mains do. It doesn't gush out just drips when you park and coat a few items underneath.. rust proofing.. .You won't see a terrible loss of oil on the dip stick either.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 05-07-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:49 PM

I have found that oil leaks are normally from front or rear engine seals. The seals become hard and leak oil. I would use Lucas Engine oil leak and see if it works.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Wink I get a small spot on the garage floor after every drive...

Poor baby .

I would be positively delighted to have such a situation .

Did my front seal (added a sleeve) and water pump last year, eliminating the previously alluded to “undercarriage auto-rust proofing system” but leakage from the rear seal continues apace.

Sigh...oil is inexpensive and the sheets of cardboard to put under the car are easily obtained, so I don’t see rear seal replacement, and all the work to get to it, in my future.

What does bother me however, is leaking oil on public roads, and as a motorcyclist, I appreciate the challenges of slippery surfaces.

Perhaps enlightened self interest will kick in some day...

Be sure to let us know if you try one of the suggested products. “Fix in a can”, while rarely permanent, can obviously serve as a band-aid.

Best
alfabeach likes this.

Steve Waclo Carson City, NV; '87 Spider QV, ES Champion, 2018 Reno SCCA (125k);'93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (105k);'03 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Turbo Diesel (155k);'08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE, 6sp (125k)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode