Installing new seat upholstery - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Installing new seat upholstery

Hello all! I just received my new seat covers in the mail. I have new foam too, and I took the passenger side out to look things over. There are a couple of springs that are broken that I will need to replace( these are the S3 sport seats) and there are some tension wires that feed through a cloth channel in the covers that hog ring to the wire frame in the new cushion. Looks fairly straight forward but tedious. I searched and found no threads about the process..... if there is one can someone help me out? I would like to possibly get some insight from someone who has done this already.. thanks!
Shakey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Good luck.

I ended up paying an installer to do mine.

Thanks
kbartosiak likes this.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium

Last edited by lgbalfa; 04-25-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
Good luck.

I ended up paying an installed to do mine.

Thanks
Me too but I used to pay $50 per cushion. Now it's $100 😫😫

Unfortunately when I try to do it myself it looks like I did it myself...
Ranz and kbartosiak like this.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
Hello all! I just received my new seat covers in the mail. I have new foam too, and I took the passenger side out to look things over. There are a couple of springs that are broken that I will need to replace( these are the S3 sport seats) and there are some tension wires that feed through a cloth channel in the covers that hog ring to the wire frame in the new cushion. Looks fairly straight forward but tedious. I searched and found no threads about the process..... if there is one can someone help me out? I would like to possibly get some insight from someone who has done this already.. thanks!
I'm not familiar with S3 seats. So, pictures of the springs might help. If they look anything like the ones in my picture, you can make them yourself.
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:39 AM

good thread here on s4 seats (which should be same as your S3 sport seats)

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...t-seat-s4.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for sharing the link! I will start the process tomorrow. His insight will surely help me as I tackle this job which has me quite anxious. I may add to his thread if I find some tricks that help me along the way....
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:16 AM
BMX

I had no skill in upholstery when I recovered my S2 seats with covers from CA but it was really rewarding and i think i did as well as some of the "pro" jobs you see: hog ring pliers, hog rings, zip ties, time and patience is what you need, most of the tension springs were rotten on mine so I replaced them with zip ties, worked a treat
Top Down likes this.

1975 Spider S2
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX View Post
I had no skill in upholstery when I recovered my S2 seats with covers from CA but it was really rewarding and i think i did as well as some of the "pro" jobs you see: hog ring pliers, hog rings, zip ties, time and patience is what you need, most of the tension springs were rotten on mine so I replaced them with zip ties, worked a treat
Ditto to what BMX said. I did mine with my then 12 Y/O son over a weekend and the came out 100% perfect. No wrinkles or defects at all, and it was my first try at seat upholstery. I used various sized O-rings and just one or two zip ties. Just take your time and have everything that you need on hand before you start. Good foam is very important, if your foam is not good replace it. I got my kit a World and it was a perfect fit. My only disappointment is the the headrests are stitched and not heat embossed as original. the attached pic show part of the seats, the rest look just as good after about 7 years
Attached Images

Nick S.

1974 Spider
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Welp, played with it a while this morning, all the wire struts were rusted and brittle so useless. Started to use some insulation struts I had left over. Became obvious soon that since the sport seat is basically 4 different "lobes" that attaining a flawless job was highly unlikely ( yes, I am a bit of a perfectionist). So I farmed it out. They are at an upholstery shop down the road, should have them back in a few hours. I'm sure I can handle the seat backs and headrests on my own....thank you everyone for your input and experience!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
Welp, played with it a while this morning, all the wire struts were rusted and brittle so useless. Started to use some insulation struts I had left over. Became obvious soon that since the sport seat is basically 4 different "lobes" that attaining a flawless job was highly unlikely ( yes, I am a bit of a perfectionist). So I farmed it out. They are at an upholstery shop down the road, should have them back in a few hours. I'm sure I can handle the seat backs and headrests on my own....thank you everyone for your input and experience!
Why won't you let the upholstery shop do the seat backs and headrests as well?

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Because the seat backs and headrests were simple.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:33 AM

I will need to do my passenger seat soon. I found a local shop and had him cut a new door card, then glue my existing 86Veloce vinyl on it. It smell like his ciggies and toxic glue for months. Glad it 'outgassed' over the winter. I'll find someone else to do my seat for sure..

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 AM

If you find the wires that run through the cloth under the seat cover, for the springs etc are rusted and unusable, I sourced some wire from a model aircraft shop. Its a tedious job, but with patience you can get a very nice job, just as in the post by BMX, mine looked just like that too.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 AM

Garage
FYI, I found usable springs at an Ace Hardware store. They all have a spring assortment and one of them is almost identical to the old rusty springs. They had to order more for me as they did not have enough.
Any and all Ace Hardware stores should have the same assortment.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I picked some up at Ace yesterday! Just looked for some with the same tension, I can adjust length accordingly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode