Spider Down! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Yes sir, last thing I want to do is knock a liner loose and have to take the thing apart bottom to top LOL

I just picked up the head from the machine shop, no cracks, the valve seat are great, and no leaks past the valves. They did mill the head just a bit to level it though, which I partly expected.

Next on the agenda is to place an order to Centerline.
looking at ordering-
Reinz head gasket, head gasket set for the top end of the engine (will this have the head seal gaskets?), new thermostat and water pump, L/R engine mounts, master chain link, and new fan belt and oil filter. Did I miss anything?
alfaloco likes this.

Silver 1974 Spider- Weber 40DCOE151 carbs, BWA Wheels, 80K original miles 2014 Blue Honda Accord, automatic, 4cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Check your valve clearance so if they are off you can order the shims you need from Centerline. Also its easier and quicker to adjust them on the bench then on the car.
alfaloco likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Will do

Silver 1974 Spider- Weber 40DCOE151 carbs, BWA Wheels, 80K original miles 2014 Blue Honda Accord, automatic, 4cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Bench tested valves this afternoon, PO must have done a good job with the valves, all is well!
brownie93 likes this.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
I always go about 5 lb-ft above the factory spec for the head nuts. Oil the washers and threads, too, like it says.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Will do!
Ill be ordering all of the parts tonight, hopefully resemble next weekend.

What do you guys think of Copper permeated spray on the gasket? Thats what I used on my last head gasket job on another car.
spydaman likes this.

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:42 AM

Garage
You really ought to hear from some other BB members on that Reinz gasket, but the only thing I've read is regarding a thin coat of silicone around the frontmost and rearmost holes for oil passages. That's it. No other fancy stuff. The Reinz is supposed to be the best head gasket.

Guys???
sbadaro likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Parts should be here tomorrow!

I have been doing my research, doesn't look like the copper spray would hurt but so many other people have done the gaskets without the spray, ill pass on it.

I picked up the permatex ultra grey today. My 2L is one of the engines that needs the extra sealer around the passages at the back of the block.
Questions on this, do i put the permatex on both sides of the head gasket? How much do I use? Do I need to let the gasket maker cure some or do I put the gasket and head on straight away?

I am still searching for my answers on the BB, the head gasket I pulled off did NOT have any extra gasket maker of any sort on it in any place.

Ive cleaned all the surfaces and gotten all of the leftover gasket pieces off the block and head, surfaces are ready to be used.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronsSpider View Post
Parts should be here tomorrow!

I have been doing my research, doesn't look like the copper spray would hurt but so many other people have done the gaskets without the spray, ill pass on it.

I picked up the permatex ultra grey today. My 2L is one of the engines that needs the extra sealer around the passages at the back of the block.
Questions on this, do i put the permatex on both sides of the head gasket? How much do I use? Do I need to let the gasket maker cure some or do I put the gasket and head on straight away?

I am still searching for my answers on the BB, the head gasket I pulled off did NOT have any extra gasket maker of any sort on it in any place.

Ive cleaned all the surfaces and gotten all of the leftover gasket pieces off the block and head, surfaces are ready to be used.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I was advised to put some permatex ultra copper only on the bottom (to block) front (to radiator) end of the gasket to better seal the area over the timing chain cover.
With the cam cover gasket be careful not flip the gasket upside down (goes both ways) like my mechanic did before I noticed it, the colored edge points down (to block).
Lots more you need to be careful about if you're doing a complete engine rebuild (half moons and cigarette seals and a ton of little "no-no's" to challenge an old man's learning curve)...

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronsSpider View Post
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/711228-post2.html

check instructions on tube for curing....my guess is no curing time, bolt it down.
as to how much to use, a little, a thin smear....it is just a help to the head gasket around those spots.
alfaloco, sbadaro and AaronsSpider like this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:53 AM

Garage
"check instructions on tube for curing....my guess is no curing time, bolt it down.
as to how much to use, a little, a thin smear....it is just a help to the head gasket around those spots.
"

Exactly. On both sides of the gasket. The last thing you want is a glob of cured silicone making its way into the oil or coolant passages, or the oil/water pump. I got a clacketty valve train on a Capri V6 like that, years ago, from over-use of silicone sealer, when an oil passage to the heads got clogged.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Ok, got it for the permatex, I assumed that it was both sides because that would make perfect sense. But you know what they say when you start assuming things lol

The copper spray, I have no issue using it, but I have seen a lot of conflicting information. Some swear by it others dont. I have no issue spraying the bottom, top, or both sides of the gasket
@sbadaro, im only doing the head gasket and some accessories, not a full engine job. Not this time lol, though im sure the day will come.
sbadaro likes this.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dom, that picture is exactly what I was looking for regarding the head gasket sealer!

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:01 PM

I've got a couple of things for you.

I found a 10mm by 13mm shorty exhaust wrench that is really thin. It's Champion brand (the Craftsman lower end brand) that is bent in an open U shape, with the ends bent about 45 degrees. This is amazing at getting to the rear underside exhaust nuts on the exhaust manifold. No ratchet fits here, and no straight wrench will do. I'll add a pic when I get home.

BTW, be sure to use (and reuse) brass nuts on the exhaust manifold, despite their cost, and always use wavy washers as OEM, not split washers. AND DO NOT over torque! You'll deform the threads. Just enough to flatten the wavy washers. That's part of why wavy washers instead of splits.

As to valve spacers: I've had my Duetto for 52 years, so I've collected a lot of valve spacers. One cold winter I spend a nice Saturday watching Football in the garage and sorting all of them with a 50 year-old precise, calibrated micrometer. I even measured them to half step spacers. Actually the statistical breath of the manufacturing. And then came up with this (see below). There are up to three spacers in every size - Yeah, I did say 52 years). BTW, the rear side is the same, except it covers the thicker range of spacers, less commonly used except for modified valves and seats. Useful on highly modified race cars.

I ought to make a bunch of these for BB members. Any interest?

Yeah, it took a while to accumulate these. The wooden plugs are the ones currently in the car. Wrenching on Alfas is easier and more enjoyable than any car I've ever owned. My baby has aged well with me. I hope you get as much joy from yours as I have from mine.

Good luck

Robert

*Micrometers get more accurate with age. The constant turning slowly smooths the very fine threads, averaging out the variations across hundreds of thread turns. Mine was passed down from Grandpa to Father to me. It's also a Starrett, ca 1920. I can measure to a 10th thou' easier than my Starrett Dial Gauge. I'm down to the oil film thickness as the only source of error.
Attached Images

alfaloco and AaronsSpider like this.

Last edited by 60sRacer; 05-02-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @60sRacer! As a 21 year old who wants to keep this car a long long time, thats very great to hear.

Already ahead of you on the brass nuts on the exhaust, also converted the nuts on the water pump to brass.

In the future im sure shims will be things ill need!

Todays accomplishments-
New water pump, new V belt, new oil filter, new engine mounts all made it onto the car!

The head and head gasket also made it on, the head gasket actually came with a picture of where to put the permatex ultra grey, very nice surprise.
I decided against the copper spray, I thought that the permatex ultra grey and the permatex copper spray, mixed together on the head gasket sounded like too many substances on one gasket surface. I could be, wrong. I didnt find any other threads where people had done both the copper and ultra grey. All of the copper spray head gaskets I found were S4 that don't have the passages on the back of the block.

Tomorrow-timing chain and torquing the head

Tags
1974, blown, gasket, head, spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode