Removing spare - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Removing spare

I was thinking about removing the spare tire on my spider as one its dry rotted and two for weight savings. I was wondering how many people ran without spares? I only use the spider around town +/- 50 miles so it seems like a risk reward type situation. How many people run without them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:44 PM

I run around with a spare because I have enough junk in my shop that I don't want to clutter more with spare. It's effective storage and if I need it , I'll call AAA to change it..
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Always have my spare, in fact when I buy new tires, I buy a new spare.

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe

1992 Spider Veloce (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:18 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

The Spider has a spare and the GTV doesn't, but in both I carry one of those Slime kits with tire sealant and an inflator. Honestly that type of kit is all many modern sports cars carry.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I run without a spare most of the time but I carry a mini spare from a Ford Focus on long trips.
bshorey and Alfaboutvegas like this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:35 PM

Garage
At least get another tire that is not dry rotted if you are going to carry it. Just my two cents.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
I run without a spare, but my car is stripped for track use and does not see extensive road miles. I'd say the benefit depends on how you use your car. For a mostly stock road car, dropping 30-40lbs from a spare tire isn't going to be a big enough difference for you to notice- not worth potentially getting stranded. For my purposes, the only reason I'd be going more than a short distance from home is for a track day, and then my day is already over if I have a flat, so I might as well just call AAA.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I run without a spare most of the time but I carry a mini spare from a Ford Focus on long trips.
Ed, I didn't know the dimensions for lugs are the same, but of course I never checked. never occurred to me.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I don't know if all Focus car had 4 x 108 centers but at least some of them did.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:03 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Here are a few reasons to carry a spare:

- It may improve your car's safety in the event of a rear impact collision. Modern car crumple characteristics are designed assuming the presence of a spare. Obviously our Alfas were designed prior to the era of computer modeling; still, the spare may serve this function.

- A spider's weight distribution is very biased to the front. Removing the spare will further aggravate this.

- If you get a flat tire, it will invariably be on a Sunday evening when you're in the boondocks out of cell range. Being able to install a spare wheel & tire yourself, instead of relying on AAA, can be a huge advantage.

Note: you can buy a new, off-brand import tire for $60 or 70 bucks. It won't last for as many miles as a Michelin, but will work great as a spare.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Years ago, a friend went off the track at Lime Rock and into a wall backwards. There was damage, but surprisingly not as much as one would have expected from an impact at that speed. He realized after the fact that he'd forgotten to remove the spare for the event, and the spare tire had acted as a shock absorber.

Personally, I don't want to deal with the time involved in getting a tire fixed should one fail while on the road. A month or so ago the wife had a flat in her car, and we discovered that the tire shop had sold us normal tires, not run flats. The car doesn't carry a spare. I wasted a few hours going to fetch the tire, getting it repaired (took 3 hours at the tire shop!), and putting it back on.

I'll carry a spare, or some mechanism to patch and inflate a tire. Or buy run flats.

My .02,

bs
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 PM

Garage
The spare tire is part of the car. My thought is if it is not a race car them keep the spare. Put a new tire on it. What the heck you might need it someday. There is times when you need a little extra weight over the rear tires. In the end a complete car is worth more than a car missing parts.

Ken
Please excuse all spelling and grammar! I am typing on a no so smart phone :-)

Ken Smith
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Friend of mine accidentally tore the sidewall of a tire on his new Boxter S on a trip. The tire wasn't saveable with an inflator and sealant can because of the damage. Luckily, he had a mini spare in the car, so had to drive several hundred miles at 50 mph. He believes in spares, even if they are the cr*ppy mini spare.

Our Alfas all have full sized spares in them, replacing mini spares.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 AM

Just a FYI. Murphy's law..if it will happen, it will and at the worst possible time. If weight is so **** important, get a set of Chromodoros, less unsprung weight. the spare balances, and is a safety feature. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Why cause more [problems for yourself.

Don "BOO" Epstein
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 AM
Platinum Subscriber

You can make arguments for keeping various parts that could be removed to save weight and each one does not account for much on its own but if you do every one of them it becomes significant. Both my Spider and GTV6 are about 150 pounds lighter than stock and that improves the performance and the handling. My racer friends reckon that on an Alfa 100 lb is worth about 10 HP.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode