Removing spare - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
You can make arguments for keeping various parts that could be removed to save weight and each one does not account for much on its own but if you do every one of them it becomes significant. Both my Spider and GTV6 are about 150 pounds lighter than stock and that improves the performance and the handling. My racer friends reckon that on an Alfa 100 lb is worth about 10 HP.
Very true, but again I think it depends on you use case. If you are building a track car/hot rod, it makes sense to strip the car as much as possible. But the result won't be terribly comfortable.

There is a thread somewhere on the BB with a nice list of component weights if you are thinking of doing serious weight savings. The low hanging fruit is the battery (replace with a lithium one) and spare tire, and bumpers. Much beyond that, and you start getting into modifications that impact the driving experience more fundamentally. Some mods impacting weight that I have done (and guesstimate weights):

Toss HVAC system (heat and A/C) ~50lbs
Pull all carpet and chip off sound deadening ~30lbs
Lithium battery ~20lbs
No spare/jack ~40lbs
Rota wheels ~30lbs (rotating)
Remove door cards (will eventually make some ultra light ones) ~10lbs
Remove rear parcel tray - ~5lbs
Remove lower dash panels ~5lbs
Brake booster delete and pedal box/MC replacement ~10lbs
Light weight racing seats ~20lbs
Side-pipe exhaust ~20lbs
"Big" brake kit (two piece rotors + light calipers mean lighter overall) ~5lbs
No bumpers (on track only) ~30lbs
Aluminum radiator + lightweight fans: ~5lbs
No top (convertible frame removed, hardtop used if weather demands): ~50lbs

On the to do list:
Small spring kit: ~20lbs per Alfaholics (Unsprung)
Watts Link + lightweight trailing arms: ~10lbs
Hydraulic handbrake: ~5lbs (unsprung)
Light weight clutch/flywheel: ~10lbs (rotating)
Fuel cell: ~20lbs

However, I've added in weight:
Roll bar: ~50lbs
Accusump (to do): ~10lbs
Oil cooler: ~5lbs

All in, around 300lbs off the car. That is very noticeable in the handling, but also in road manners. None of those is huge by itself, but it all adds up- yet the weight savings isn't really noticeable util you do a LOT things. It's no longer a car to take a leisurely trip to the shops in! I'd love to get it under 2,000lbs, but I think that would require more drastic measures like replacing body panels (stock should be around 2,400).
alfaareks likes this.

Last edited by nealric; 04-23-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I run without a spare most of the time but I carry a mini spare from a Ford Focus on long trips.
I bought one of those ford focus minis for my car.... thankfully I never had to use it... it would have not fitted over my 12.19 disk and Porsche 997 4 pot calipers...I was very lucky on that....
Attached Images

Last edited by bianchi2; 04-23-2019 at 10:40 AM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I don't know if all Focus car had 4 x 108 centers but at least some of them did.
The Ford Mustang II also fits the 4 x 108 Alfas. "Back-in-the-day" we'd use Minilites from them, before Panasport's became available.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:46 AM

As to a spare:

My front tires wear out faster than the rears - mostly from camber errors on cornering. So I replace tires two at a time - F then R. When I replace the rears, I swap the spare for the best tire on hand (of the three). Be sure to swap rims too as you pretty road wheels likely don't match the spare rim. Or get a fifth rim that matches.

Robert
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 PM

I don't know when is the last time you used triple A but you could be waiting 3,4,5,6 or 7 hours for something you could fix in 15 minutes.
Jack Straw likes this.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Having a good spare has saved my tail more times than I can count. I won't drive a car without a spare, a jack I trust, and a good breaker bar with the right sockets.

Being stuck by the side of the road is lame.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
I don't know when is the last time you used triple A but you could be waiting 3,4,5,6 or 7 hours for something you could fix in 15 minutes.
Wow, that's crazy wait time. I've never waited more than 30 minutes. I was fine sitting in my car this winter while the AAA guy fought with the wheel lugs in the driving snow...

That said, I generally run with a spare. But it's nothing more than a cheap 185 on a steelie. I run with 205s which don't fit the spare well. If that weren't enough, they're directionals - I'd have to carry two...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:19 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Due to Murphy's law, you will get a flat tyre the day/week after you remove your spare

Pete
Jack Straw likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 AM

AAA will only change the tire if you have a spare, they wonít fix it.

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe

1992 Spider Veloce (sold)
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:15 AM
PSk

If you call AAA, or anybody, to change a tyre ... please remove your car enthusiast badge and leave it at the door as you leave!

Pete
Jack Straw likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
If you call AAA, or anybody, to change a tyre ... please remove your car enthusiast badge and leave it at the door as you leave!

Pete
I'll gladly hand over my badge when the wind chill dips below -35F as it did this winter when I shredded a tire on my CC...
Lokki likes this.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:40 AM

Garage
Quote:

Pete
I'd never call AAA to change a tire, but if there's no tire to change, I have no shame in calling a tow truck. For what it's worth- maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't had a flat that required a roadside change in almost 20 years. Tires have gotten pretty darn good at stopping punctures.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:20 AM

Garage
The spare tire is just a spare part to get you home. If have the skill or the willingness to do a road side tire change you will be on your way ASAP. If you choose to use a tow service for what ever reason that is ok too. We are all have one thing on common! We love our Alfa Romeo.

Ken
Please excuse all spelling and grammar! I am typing on phone :-)

Ken Smith
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
I run without a spare most of the time but I carry a mini spare from a Ford Focus on long trips.
Why didn't I think of that?

bs
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:05 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Quote:

Pete
I'll gladly hand over my badge when the wind chill dips below -35F as it did this winter when I shredded a tire on my CC...
Man I don't think I'd have become a car enthusiast if I had grown up dealing with that weather ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode