1974 Veloce "Full Package" - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1974 Veloce "Full Package"

I have just fulfilled a few of my bucket list items by getting my hands on my first Alfa, a 1974 spider. I am also a complete novice when it comes to auto repair but am excited to learn. It's been sitting for at least 6 years and so my first task (I believe) is to drain and clean the fuel tank, replace the fuel pumps, lines and injectors.

If anyone is able to share the alfa library's "full package" for a 1974 veloce, I would very much appreciate it.

Additionally, I am considering the CarDisk repair manuals unless there is a better recommendation?

Thank you for all the advice I received by reading thus far and in advance for the future...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Welcome, we are all excited to see pictures. I'm personally happy with CarDisk, I have several. I do like a paper manual with me when I'm working but I usually pick those up on Ebay. Being in California and a 74, your car likely has Spica mechanical fuel injection still, is that true? I wouldn't rush out and change the fuel pump or the injectors right away just out of cause. Filters for sure (there are two), lines if they look like they need replacing.
Depending on the condition of things, after a clean, take the spark plugs out and squirt some oil in there to make the first several cranking operations a little kinder.

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Congratulations.

Looking forward to seeing pics.

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:02 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
When you drain the oil from the crank case, smell it for gasoline. This would indicate if the injection pump (provided the car still has one) is shot.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Platinum Subscriber

If it still has the Spica system installed, PM me an email address and I'll send you a bunch of tech information on and other stuff.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
If it still has the Spica system installed, PM me an email address and I'll send you a bunch of tech information on and other stuff.
Yes, it's still has the SPICA and I'm looking forward to understanding it better. I gather I should replace the oil filter on that too.

'74 Spider - in the works

Last edited by Billy_McSkintos; 04-20-2019 at 01:54 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Garage
When I got my 76, which was in great shape from the PO but only had been driven about 100 miles a year for the past 4 years of me getting it. I did the following right off the bat.

1. Engine oil and filter replaced (replaced with a high ZDDP oil)
2. Transmission oil replaced
3. Rear differential oil replaced
4. Fuel filters replaced
5. SPICA oil filter replaced
6. Spark plugs and wires replaced
7. Topped off the steering box oil
8. Checked the brakes

I then drove and enjoyed it for several months and a few thousand mile before winter. During the winter months I did the following.

1. Rebuilt the rear suspension including shocks, coils, straps and bumps
2. Replaced the brake master cylinder and cleaned out the booster as it was leaking
3. Flushed the brake lines
4. Replaced the exhaust from the manifold (went to a two piece from the one) all the way back
5. Replaced the mechanical ignition with a 405 Electronic ignition and a blue coil.
6. Retimed the engine
7. Replaced the T/A
8. Completely went thru the SPICA system starting from resetting the throttle stops, adjusting the gap and adjusting the mixture
9. Replace the rear drive shaft (mine had issues with the u-joints and the slide)

Now I still have on my To-Do list to replace the fuel pump and hoses, rebuild the front suspension, replace all the coolant (it was replaced 4 years ago along with a radiator so its still good for now), replace the guibo, driveshaft bearing and support. However now that spring is here I am going to enjoy the fruits of my labor for a while and drive it.

I would make sure I get the basics, then start to drive short distances and observe any issues then come back to Alfabb and research its a great resource.

Good luck and welcome to being an Alfa Owner.
andylarry and Austin Alfa like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:02 PM

Garage
All the above are good suggestions. I would add to look for the parts book in addition to any service manuals. Seeing all the itty bitty parts in an exploded view format , to me at least, makes all the manual directions make much more sense. Its really hard to remember the reassembly sequence of little component parts and the parts diagrams makes that clear.

Good luck and good wrenching

AROC (Alfa Romero Owners Club) has a great technical library section available to users. Suggest you review their offerings
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have begun acquiring parts to start the repairs, replace the fuel filters and oil. I'll be moving it from its current location to my garage hopefully this week but here are a few photos.
Attached Images

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A few more...
Attached Images

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 PM

Wow, that thing is original! Everything under the hood, except coolant recovery bottle, is in it's place. Front nose isn't dinged or dented...nice find. I would love to clean that up, engine and all. Looks like you might be in for a learning curve, though, if you aren't mechanically inclined. Still, very do-able. Cleaning it up will be very rewarding!

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Inclined? Certainly, but definitely not experienced. Looking forward to the challenge though and grateful for all the advice on guidance available on this board.

If I removed the battery, covered the spark plugs, distributor, and SPICA intakes would it be safe to hose down the engine and bay?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Alfa View Post
AROC (Alfa Romero Owners Club) has a great technical library section available to users. Suggest you review their offerings
Absolutely, however, with the sad loss of their (and this board's) librarian, they are understandably unable to provide any documents at this time. I was hoping that a fellow '74 owner might have the so-called 'full package' to share with me?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Darth Moderator
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_McSkintos View Post
Inclined? Certainly, but definitely not experienced. Looking forward to the challenge though and grateful for all the advice on guidance available on this board.

If I removed the battery, covered the spark plugs, distributor, and SPICA intakes would it be safe to hose down the engine and bay?
Welcome aboard the BB Billy, we all started off somewhere and we're all still learning... ask away, there are plenty of good learned folks here who are more than willing to help a fellow Alfisti !!

As to washing, yes, cover up the distributor and any air openings at the Spica air filter and you can wash down the engine bay, don't worry to cover the plugs, the water only reaches a point before it flows out the back of the head & once it's all washed down you can mop up the remainder from around the plugs with an old towel for the worst graduating to paper towel for the bits right down at the plug bases - FIRST make sure the plugs are not loose, you don't want water inside the motor.

A mild solution of soap & water / engine wash & paraffin etc will shift most dirt & grime, but be cautious of neat engine wash on decals etc. Sometimes warm water & Kleen Green is a safer option.

You have a good initial list of things to work through. I'd suggest flushing brake fluid is another good plan as is replacing the old flexible hoses with new ones. Once you have her running, then look at replacing the tyres as old tyres which have been left flat for a long period are never happy.

Post some more pictures when you can, we like pictures !

Ciao
Greig

Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:30 PM

Nice project! I recently purchased a 74 spider from the original owner. Original top, rubber mats, Michelin XAS tires! I got it running (after it was towed to two shops who both couldn't do it. It had a bad wire connection at the dizzy. Sitting in the barn till I find more time... GLW your project!

ALFA ANDY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode