1974 Veloce "Full Package" - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to jbbosco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_McSkintos View Post
Thank you all! @jbbosco do I need any special grease or similar when replacing the plugs?
I'm probably not the best one to ask; I never use grease, but I'm sure many on this BB would scoff at such carelessness. I just make sure the threads are clean, start them in by hand, and tighten them snug with a socket wrench. Never had an issue.

JB
74 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbosco View Post
I'm probably not the best one to ask; I never use grease, but I'm sure many on this BB would scoff at such carelessness. I just make sure the threads are clean, start them in by hand, and tighten them snug with a socket wrench. Never had an issue.
I use electrically conductive grease for the plug wire connection so that it helps prevent bi-metalic oxidation and ensures a good electrical connection.
jbbosco likes this.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:04 AM

I use a little copper grease on the plug threads, the last 1/3 of the plug threads closest to the crush washer.

and a little silicone grease smeared inside the rubber lead caps (too often my plug caps felt as though they were glued/melted onto the plugs...with the silicone grease they pop off just nicely...I use this on the distributor and coil connections too....keeps out damp.
jbbosco likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:23 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to jbbosco
@Billy_McSkintos, hows progress? Are you driving it? Send us some pics! Here's mine at #lakewashingtoncarsandcoffee last weekend, looking shiny next to a fly yellow 4C Spider....
Attached Images

Canadian Spider likes this.

JB
74 Spider
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@jbbosco I'm still plugging away but work and home repairs and projects have taken up both time and money!

I've replaced oil, diff oil trans oil, oil and spica filters, and plugs. I'm in the middle of replacing the fuel lines and the tank. @Luscombe1940 kindly sold me his extra tank and a stack of additional parts. I need to reroute the lines to accommodate the new in-tank configuration. Once that's done, points, rotors, leads, check grounds and electrics, and flush the radiator before l turn the key.

Before I can drive it I need to figure out why the clutch is on the floor, replace the brake pads, tires and potentially the shocks. My HVAC is being repaired as I write this, stealing another $1700+ from my car fund.
I'm sure something else will come up preventing me from actually driving it this decade.
jbbosco likes this.

'74 Spider - in the works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode