1974 Veloce "Full Package" - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:41 PM

Having picked up an Alfetta with Spica that had been sitting a while, I'd advise to replace all the fuel lines if possible when you do the filters. Mine seemed fine, but then sprung a huge leak about 9 mos later and I'm lucky to have not started a fire.

I wonder why the PO was removing the steering wheel?

1978 Alfetta Sport Sedan | 1985 GTV Lemons Racer
Instagram: Alfaddiction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I went over today and inflated the tires in preparation for the move. I got a little more information from the widow of PO. Apparently, it's been sitting since around the mid 90's and reportedly due to some sort of misfire, backfire, "shooting flames". The engine was also rebuilt around that time and only a few hundred miles on it since then. Additionally, some parts from a parts car added but I don't have information as to what and why but there is an (extra?) SPICA pump in the trunk.

Here's a few more photos too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Billy_McSkintos; 04-26-2019 at 06:29 PM.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Wow, that is going to clean up nicely I bet . please post before/during/after photos! Also, I'm in newport if you need any help - always love resurrecting old cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@peakay, definitely, I'm sure I will be reaching out soon. I'm at the end of the 73 just where it meets the 5 so only 20 minutes...
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to jbbosco
Wow, looks like a pretty good barn find - I bet you will be able to get a lot done yourself, including getting it started and running the first time. Everyone has an opinion, here is mine:

Most parts you can find at https://centerlinealfa.com or Vick Autosports, The Premier Fiat and Alfa Parts Source, and more obscure stuff can be found at https://classicalfa.com/
Buy this: https://www.themotorbookstore.com/al...er-manual.html (shop around for a cheap price)
Buy this: https://www.wesingram.com/pricesheet.htm#book
Remove the battery and just get a new one. If it doesn't hold a charge later on down the line, you'll know it's not that, and I'll sell you my spare alternator.
Hose down that engine bay - @AlfistiSA is spot on for engine bay cleaning procedure
Swap out the plugs - NGK BP7ES
New cap and rotor - make sure you figure out exactly what is needed, not sure if you have a MarelliPlex or..?
Fuel filters - replace the rear one for sure, whether you think it needs one or not.
Replace the engine oil, oil filter, SPICA filter - do all this at once, I like Castrol GTX 20W50, and the oil filter they sell at https://centerlinealfa.com is good.
Coolant - There is a well documented process to refilling the coolant so that you don't get air bubbles trapped in the system, be sure to follow this.
Transmission and diff oil - Use Redline 75W90 NS (NS is the important identifier) in the transmission, and Redline 75W90 in the diff.
Clean/replace the air filter - K&N makes a good replacement
New fan belt
Inspect braking system & replace brake fluid
Inspect /replace clutch cylinder fluid
Check the SPICA - @Roadtrip has the info you need here

... and go from there. https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...aq-digest.html is very helpful. That should keep you busy for a while!

JB
'74 Spider
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_McSkintos View Post
@peakay, definitely, I'm sure I will be reaching out soon. I'm at the end of the 73 just where it meets the 5 so only 20 minutes...
Great, let me know. I'm at the 73 and mcarthur.

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all! @jbbosco do I need any special grease or similar when replacing the plugs?
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How do I install the rear bumper properly?
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 PM

'Backfire, misfire, shooting flames'.
Reckon the distributor wasn't well secured and may have moved after the rebuild.
Odds are the ignition timing is way out. Double-check that too.
Billy_McSkintos likes this.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick question. I need to push the car up a short slope into my garage. After sitting for 20 odd years, what are your thoughts on whether there would be any kind braking available and if not, best safe method to stop the car if need be?
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Quick question. I need to push the car up a short slope into my garage. After sitting for 20 odd years, what are your thoughts on whether there would be any kind braking available and if not, best safe method to stop the car if need be?
2x4s or the like would be a sensible precaution.

[RIGHT] [I] MEMBRO LATO OSCURO[/I][/RIGHT]

69 850 Spider[I] [COLOR="Silver"](A fond college days' memory)[/COLOR][/I]
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:15 PM

Brakes....
Does your park brake work?
Got a firm brake pedal?
Can you (or someone else) move the car with your foot on the brake, or with the park brake on?
That should tell you enough.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:11 AM

This book has been very useful for me:

https://www.amazon.ca/Alfa-Romeo-Own...r=8-1-fkmrnull

1976 Spider
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Do not push the brake pedal. More then likely if you do it won't be rolling anywhere. Just use the parking brake.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oops too late. Brakes worked enough but the handbrake didn't. Now that it's in my garage i can see a little more. Clutch pedal is on the floor, a few dings on the rear panels, no rust immediately obvious, missing the rear alfa and iniezione badges but after I go through the various extra parts I might them. Unfortunately, the dash is cracked in a few places and the turbina wheels have some curb rash so those have been added to the "make beautiful" list.

Cleaning over the weekend...

'74 Spider - in the works

Last edited by Billy_McSkintos; 04-26-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode