Trany or Clutch? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Trany or Clutch?

Hello...
1982 Spider. All of the sudden while driving only 5th gear would go in ( with force... )

Engine stopped, I can engage all gears fine, with or without clutch.

Clutch pushes fine, and I checked with my son pushing on the clutch pedal and me under the car that it moves the arm into the trany from the slave cylinder.

If I engage any gear when stopped, tried 3d and 4th, if I try to crank the engine to start with the clutch pressed, the engine is fully engaged like the clutch is having no effect...

I cannot remember if this is normal.. But I thought I could start the car with the clutch pressed in any gear... did not have to be in neutral.

Again, with some grinding I was able to put the car in 5th gear and I made it back home (oh yes it was something... ) flying thru stop signs in the country side not to stop the car!!

I am ready to have a mechanic friend pull the trany, but I am leaning toward something with the clutch... even if the plate only has 3000 miles or less, maybe the throwout bearing???

yes it is the original trasmission with a typical 2d gear grind and some other issues like not really liking going from 3d to 4th gear at high RPM...

Any comments or suggestions before I start spending money!

Thanks,
Giuseppe

"alfista"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Sounds like clutch. Either way, you've got to remove something to fix. I'd measure how far the throw out bearing arm moves at the gearbox. If it moves the full distance, I think you need a clutch disk. If it doesn't, try replacing hydraulics first.
Andrew
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Well, the transmission has to come out either way...

I agree with Andrew - first check that you have full movement of the operating fork at the slave cylinder. Usually the hydraulics are the weak link - leaks or entrained air. I've seen broken clutch discs where the pieces jam the clutch so it can't disengage even though the fork is moving the full distance.

One other thought - where does the clutch pedal sit relative to the brake pedal? It should be equal or slightly higher. If it is lower the pivot shaft weld may have failed. If it is lower and you can reach down and pull the pedal up it is almost certainly the pivot shaft failed. see: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1142619-post108.html
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Well the pivot was replaced..the clutch pedal is at the right hight..the master and slave cylinders have ~2500 miles..all seams to move correctly as far as hydraulics...yes next the trany and possibly the engine are coming out..stay tuned...
Giuseppe

"alfista"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Garage
Definitely not disengaging. You can usually drive one and get through the gears without a clutch once you start off in first or second gear. Just carefully timed shifting between gears. Been there a few times on cars.
If you are getting the travel as mentioned by Eric, then you may have something in the clutch pressure plate or throw out bearing that has failed. I have seen one throw out bearing fail that way but that was years ago and it had just been replaced.
Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode