Engine removal instructions or link - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Top Down
  • 1 Post By Andrew
  • 2 Post By Top Down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Engine removal instructions or link

I need to remove my 72 engine this weekend. Can anybody share instructions or a link to a thread please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:39 PM

Remove the bonnet, radiator, carbs, remove battery, disconnect any wiring (starter, coil etc) undo the exhaust manifold from the head and if you can undo the manifold from the front pipe, tie up the exhaust.

Start to unbolt the engine mounts. Lift the car and remove the dust shield at the bottom of the gearbox. Remove gearbox to engine bolts accessible under the car. Lower the car.

Attach your engine sling/chain hoist/crane, support gearbox, remove remaining bellhousing bolts.

Now the fun starts!! Begin to lift the engine whilst pulling it forward, you may need to use a prybar to separate the engine from the gearbox, lift engine being careful of the paintwork (on the car, not the engine)

See, that was easy!

You may find it easier to remove as many ancillaries as you can to aid access and just make the lift easier, I'm talking about things like the alternator etc, just look and see what can be taken off.

Enjoy!
sbadaro likes this.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a 1.6TS 147 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
Remove the bonnet, radiator, carbs, remove battery, disconnect any wiring (starter, coil etc) undo the exhaust manifold from the head and if you can undo the manifold from the front pipe, tie up the exhaust.

Start to unbolt the engine mounts. Lift the car and remove the dust shield at the bottom of the gearbox. Remove gearbox to engine bolts accessible under the car. Lower the car.

Attach your engine sling/chain hoist/crane, support gearbox, remove remaining bellhousing bolts.

Now the fun starts!! Begin to lift the engine whilst pulling it forward, you may need to use a prybar to separate the engine from the gearbox, lift engine being careful of the paintwork (on the car, not the engine)

See, that was easy!

You may find it easier to remove as many ancillaries as you can to aid access and just make the lift easier, I'm talking about things like the alternator etc, just look and see what can be taken off.

Enjoy!
You forgot the gearbox... Name:  FB_IMG_1554534481188.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  36.7 KB

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:37 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
If you're removing the gearbox with the engine, raise the rear of the car and place on jack stands.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
If you're removing the gearbox with the engine, raise the rear of the car and place on jack stands.
I found I needed to put both the front and rear up so I could get the hoist underneath, but with the rear higher. I suppose that's not an issue if you have a gantry crane instead of a cheap harbor freight engine hoist like I do. One word of caution: the smaller of the two Harbor Freight hoists will not work in a spider even though the engine is not particularly heavy. The arm is not long enough to reach. I had to sell my small one on craigslist and buy the bigger one when I pulled my motor.

Agreed that it's usually going to be easier to remove the engine and gearbox together.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Folks have their methods. I don't take out more than I need to. I find it easy to do the engine alone. Block up the front of the trans to support it. Make sure to remove the sway bar and the fan.
To each his/her own.
Andrew
Top Down likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Make sure to remove the sway bar and the fan.
To each his/her own.
Andrew
I had no problem getting my motor out without the swaybar. YMMV I'm sure.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
I had no problem getting my motor out without the swaybar. YMMV I'm sure.
Same here. (anti roll bar this side the pond)

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a 1.6TS 147 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
You forgot the gearbox... Attachment 1561808

He never asked for the gearbox, now go put it back.
Ranz and sbadaro like this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Remove the center tie rod link at one end or it will most likely get bent. Good luck
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Gold Subscriber

Remove the center tie rod link at 1 end or it will likely get bent. Good luck
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
He never asked for the gearbox, now go put it back.
Dammit... Back to the shop...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode