Test - Best Way to Clean Cast Aluminum Parts - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Test - Best Way to Clean Cast Aluminum Parts

Was cleaning the pumpkin on a differential and a gearbox case this weekend. Slow process. But with aluminum one has to be careful about what cleaning products are used since aluminum reacts badly to many chemicals.

I did a bunch of research and came up with 3 products that folks seem to like for cleaning cast aluminum car parts: Napa Aluminum Brightener, Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner (similar to the Napa one, I think), and Original Gunk. I had two goals: 1) degreasing/degriming, 2) brightening the aluminum.

Net result...all these products were pretty useless as "spray on, wash off" products as far as I can tell. So I went back to Simple Green, Dawn, pumice cleaner and brushes. Did the job, albeit very slowly and with a lot of labor.

There has to be a better way. I know some go for soda or media blasting, but then that means you have to seal the now "raw" aluminum to keep if from oxidizing. I didn't want to go that route. Some also do vapor blasting, but that is not available locally here, AFAIK and pretty spendy.

Others' ideas welcomed, but thought I'd report on what didn't work that well at least.

Products used:

Name:  IMG_5224.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  266.1 KB

Before & after with each - no difference:

Name:  IMG_5222.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  226.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5223.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  276.0 KB

--Scott
Current: 85 GTV6, 69 Duetto, 17 Giulia, 74 GTV
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 AM

The "before" photo looks a lot better than the ones on either of my 2 Alfas.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackie View Post
There has to be a better way. I know some go for soda or media blasting, but then that means you have to seal the now "raw" aluminum to keep if from oxidizing. I didn't want to go that route. Some also do vapor blasting, but that is not available locally here, AFAIK and pretty spendy.
I wouldn't worry about the oxidation of aluminum. The oxidation layer is extremely (microscopic) thin. I'd be more worried about what it does the finish (I've heard it looks odd).

Have you tried a dishwasher?

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:16 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

A dishwasher with dishwashing detergent will turn aluminum black. Ask me how I know this.
Gordon Raymond and Tom Frasca like this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:13 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
A dishwasher with dishwashing detergent will turn aluminum black. Ask me how I know this.
Yes, you should not ever put anything aluminum in a dishwasher. The dish washing detergent is caustic. It might work ok if you use something like Dawn, but then you'll get foam spewing out on the floor.

Any sort of media blasting has the potential of affecting the finish, even if it does remove the dirt and grime. A parts washer is the best way to go if you want to clean those things up.

Industrial parts washers that use water and a degreaser are available. These are similar in function to a dish washer. They have heating elements to get the water really hot and do a great job.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 AM

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yeah hot water/forced I think is key. Unfortunately, I didn't have access. Also couldn't get a rear axle in the dishwasher despite how many time I tried to fold it. ;-)

Funny - there are Youtube videos that swear by the dishwasher method.

Zep from what 6alfas posted...that I haven't tried. I think that is concrete cleaner if memory serves.

--Scott
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yeah hot water/forced I think is key. Unfortunately, I didn't have access. Also couldn't get a rear axle in the dishwasher despite how many time I tried to fold it. ;-)

Funny - there are Youtube videos that swear by the dishwasher method.

Zep from what 6alfas posted...that I haven't tried. I think that is concrete cleaner if memory serves.

--Scott
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:48 PM

Garage
All of the Zep products are awesome. They used to be only industrial use and have become a bit less effective since they became a shelf product. Still use many of them with great success. I guess I just can't see getting it clean being an issue but to get I higher luster is just elbow grease. I have used a paint remover pad that goes on a drill to smooth out the cast surface some and then if you want to see yourself use a good polishing compound. I found a really good one that also has a sealer for after you reach your desired sheen. The brand escapes me right now but if you are interested I can go look in the garage. I have a motorcycle that is basically all aluminum, even the frame and use it with great success. Some parts are indistinguishable from chrome.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
All of the Zep products are awesome. They used to be only industrial use and have become a bit less effective since they became a shelf product. Still use many of them with great success. I guess I just can't see getting it clean being an issue but to get I higher luster is just elbow grease. I have used a paint remover pad that goes on a drill to smooth out the cast surface some and then if you want to see yourself use a good polishing compound. I found a really good one that also has a sealer for after you reach your desired sheen. The brand escapes me right now but if you are interested I can go look in the garage. I have a motorcycle that is basically all aluminum, even the frame and use it with great success. Some parts are indistinguishable from chrome.
Home Depot sells the Brilliant Metal Polish - is that it? I haven't used it but pretty reasonably priced (1 gallon for $23). https://www.homedepot.com/s/brillian...cleaner?NCNI-5
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Garage
It's called Metal Gloss and Sealer Gloss, they come together. They are made by Masterrrrr........ something.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
It's called Metal Gloss and Sealer Gloss, they come together. They are made by Masterrrrr........ something.
You got it: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Formul.../dp/B00EHYOVKU
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:30 PM

Garage
That's the stuff! Works very well on aluminum and I have tried many products. To maintain the shine don't forget Nevr-Dull..... used that a lot in the Navy.....
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 PM

First the coin-op car wash degreaser, then a brass wire brush on the plenum. Not bad for the effort expended.

David O'D
Laguna CA
Attached Images

sloboy89 and azALFAowl like this.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:02 PM

Garage
Awesome Cleaner doesn't hurt aluminum. Individual spray bottles for $1 each at dollar Store like places.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode