Another dead fuel pump! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Another dead fuel pump!

Just installed new Bosch in-line fuel pump and new in-tank pump. Ran car for 10 minutes and all was good except for tank pump was making odd buzzing.. sounded like it was working too hard. Came back a few days later to start and in-line pump is dead. Has power , but not running. In tank pump still running , but does not sound right AT ALL! Removed all the old fuel and replaced with fresh before installation.

I did have issues when re-installing in-tank unit..it seemed to hit bottom of tank BEFORE top/flange of pump unit came to contact to tank surface therefor could not bolt pump unit flange to tank. Eventually i did manage to get in-take unit bolted to tank, but only after turning the the flange. The flange is sitting in the original position.

I did test the in-tank pump for flow after install and it was pumping fuel, so i went and installed the new in-line pump thinking all was good.

I will remove fuel line to fuel filter, which is also new, and check what kind of flow there is.

Cannot understand why pump is dead. As far as I know only two things can kill pump 1.0 lack of fuel for colling and maybe dirty fuel.

Any input is grateful.

Just a note The previous fuel was a cheap knock off and same thing happened with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

The in-tank pump buzzes pretty loud even when it's working properly. You have a filter sock on the in-tank pump, right?

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

yes new sock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

It wasn't that the pump was noisy, but it was gurgling one second and not making any sound the next. It was not steady at all. Something definitely not right.

So i pulled the fuel line from the in-line pump(which is dead) and fuel lines had lots of fuel. I ran in-tank pump and for the first 5 seconds it was gurgling and little fuel was coming , then suddenly after 5 seconds the in-tank pump sounded strong steady & loud and pumping lots of fuel.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

So what is going on? Could my NEW fuel filter be the issue? is it preventing flow? or is something else preventing flow?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

So I have put fuel line back on in-line pump (which is dead) and intake pumps sound s good.. Only now the fuel gauge doesn't work, but it did when i ran the car last week after installing the two new pumps. Does the gauge have something to do with power to in tank pump that would make it run poorly?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:09 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Maybe a bad tank ground?

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I did have issues when re-installing in-tank unit..it seemed to hit bottom of tank BEFORE top/flange of pump unit came to contact to tank surface therefor could not bolt pump unit flange to tank. Eventually i did manage to get in-take unit bolted to tank, but only after turning the the flange.
yes, there is a small baffle at the bottom of the tank and the filter sock needs to fit in this.
The float also needs to face out to the right (ie. towards spare wheel well) or the gauge needle will bounce about.

back to your problem
as Tom says check/clean the ground connection on pump....if that doesn't do anything then try running a wire direct from your battery negative to the dedicated ground spade on the in-tank unit.
pantera928 likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 03-18-2019 at 02:56 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

The in-tank pump is running fine now, but fuel gauge not working. Before gauge was working and in-tank was not working properly.. was sporadic on-off and when it was on it sounded like it was not running at full RPM. Almost like it was not getting enough power? Now that gauge is not working.. would that maybe give more power to pump to work? Could it be voltage drop issue?

Also, would a poor running in-tank pump with half a tank of fuel cause a new in-line pump to die?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
I would check the fuel gauge by grounding the wires for the gauge and the low fuel light, to ensure the gauge is working properly. Sounds like the gauge may not be working right, because you installed in tank pump assembly incorrectly and the float can not rise and drop accurately. Its a bit tricky to get the pump assembly in, but its critical to how its positioned to sit properly and provide a accurate fuel reading. While your doing this, I would also check the small step hose to be sure its not leaking and fits accurately. If its bad, you may get a sense by sound that the in tank pump is working but no fuel is being feed to the in-line pump, which can damage it.

Eric
'79 Alfa Romeo Spider
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
The in-tank pump is running fine now, but fuel gauge not working
what is the gauge showing, nothing at all, needle doesn't budge when you turn on ignition? Does the illumination light work at least (you need the lights on for dash illumination)?
Tried gently thumping the dash?

make sure the 2 sender wires (white/black and the violet) are connected properly, not swopped around, not corroded.

a poor running in-tank pump overstresses the main pump, yes, that is why alfa introduced them.
When tank is half full or less, if the small hose is split, it can be worse as the hose is no longer submerged in fuel.
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
The in-tank pump is running fine now, but fuel gauge not working. Before gauge was working and in-tank was not working properly.. was sporadic on-off and when it was on it sounded like it was not running at full RPM. Almost like it was not getting enough power? Now that gauge is not working.. would that maybe give more power to pump to work? Could it be voltage drop issue?

Also, would a poor running in-tank pump with half a tank of fuel cause a new in-line pump to die?

Any chance you have the wires for the guage and low level light on the wrong terminals. Try swapping them.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

After I completed install gauge did work. I was careful to put everything back the way it came out. It showed half a tank which is what I have approx. 4-5 gallons from jerry tank. Then for no reason gauge decided to stop working , but new in tank pump then decided to run properly. It's like the gauge was taking power that the pump required, and now that the gauge is not working the in-tank pump is working. Just guessing .. I don't know... All I know is in-tank pump was not working properly, almost like fuel to inlet was blocked or had poor power and now it runs fine, but gauge now not working and I didn't do anything... electrical gremlins .???
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Regarding the small step hose.. it did need changing but did no come with new pump. It is loose so I zapped strapped, but the rubber is degraded. Where can I get a new one?

Appreciate everyone's input!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I guess I will need to pull in tank assembly.. maybe that step hose feel apart and got sucked in pump ..rubber was rotten. will have to get new one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode